Sections

MERCURY FOUND IN TOWER Toothy stuff for Magic and condo developers

Toothy stuff for Magic and condo developers

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.



City inspectors have found dangerous levels of mercury vapor in the Williamsburgh Savings Bank tower, the landmark building at 1 Hanson Place which is being converted into luxury condominium apartments by Earvin “Magic” Johnson’s development company.

The building, across the street from the Long Island Rail Road terminal and near the proposed Atlantic Yards mega-development site, is the tallest in Brooklyn.

The Department of Health (DOH) sampled the air inside of the building on June 15, one month before Johnson’s company, Canyon-Johnson Urban Fund, was preparing to demolish the building’s interior to make way for condos.

In a former dental office on the eighth floor of the 34-story building, the air sampler recorded 2,300-2,400 nanograms of mercury vapor per cubic meter — more than double the level that would mandate a government-supervised cleanup in a residential unit.

Before Johnson’s company teamed with developer Dermot Co., to buy the tower, many dentists offices were located there. In years past, mercury was a common ingredient in dental fillings.

In one-third of the locations tested by the DOH, dental tenants begat mercury vapor levels that were well above the governmental safety regulations for residences: 200-300 nanograms per cubic meter.

“Every time someone made a filling, he would take a mortar and pestle and mix up a little bit of mercury,” said Arnold P. Wendroff, the Brooklyn resident who, in April, requested the Department of Environmental Protection inspect the building after he discovered that the former dental facility was to be converted into residences.

“All that mercury went right down the sinks into the pipes and the sub-flooring,” he said, “I worry about pregnant mothers living there.”

To help resolve the problem, Dermot Co. plans to replace the building’s plumbing.

“Everything will be 100 percent new,” promised Andrew MacArthur, a spokesman at the Dermot Company.

“[The DOH] recommends that we do another check before we [put in condos] and we’ll do that too,” he said, “You don’t convert dental offices every day.”

In 2002, Governor Pataki tightened restrictions on dental use of mercury and, with the Department of Environmental Conservation, created new regulations for the recycling and disposal of dental mercury waste.

Dentists no longer use elemental mercury, which has been found to cause birth defects and cause neurological damage, in tooth fillings, substituting the silver metal with another amalgam.

Vapor levels discovered in the building were not high enough to warrant any special cleanup.

“Frankly, the mercury in the building isn’t that surprising,” said Robert Goldberger, an endodontist who has been in practice on the 15th floor of the building for past 19 years.

“I am more concerned about the asbestos in the walls then the mercury vapors,” he added.

In the June report of air samplings at the tower, the DEP stated that no mercury levels were detected. On Nov. 4, the DOH issued a more extensive report that showed the high mercury vapor levels.

Public health officials say the toxic metal will linger if not cleaned properly.

“Generally speaking, it’s not easy to remediate mercury,” Anthony Carpi, an environmental toxicologist at John Jay College of Criminal Justice told the Daily News.

By April, Dermot Co. plans to begin selling condos at the tower.

Hopefully, MacArthur said, “Magic” Johnson will come to visit around that time.



Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Reasonable discourse

Karen says:
I hope the government steps in and makes sure the air quality is good. I think all dental offices should be regulated. Think about the people who work in dental offices each day being exposed with just dust masks on.
Oct. 14, 2007, 2:10 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.