Big haul

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like The Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

An enterprising perp made off with $35,000 from a home office on Hewes Street on March 30.

The 65-year-old tenant of the apartment, between Lee and Marcy avenues, told cops that she had last been in the room at 7 pm on March 28.

Two days later, she returned to discover the room ransacked and the big money gone.


A thief acted quickly, not only seizing the ATM card of a 25-year-old man who had left the debit card inside an ATM on March 26, but withdrawing $280 before the victim could cancel the account.

The absent-minded South Sixth Street man had left the card inside the bank, at Broadway and Havemeyer Street, at 7 pm, cops said.

Knifepoint robberies

There were at least three robberies at knifepoint this week in Williamsburg.

In the first incident, a thug threatened to slit a 23-year-old’s throat on March 25 unless he emptied his pockets.

“This is not a joke,” said the hoodlum, who grabbed his victim from behind at 7:30 pm at the corner of Grattan Street and Morgan Avenue. “Give me your money or I’ll cut you.”

The victim handed over $44, and the thug fled.

In the second incident, three hungry hoodlums robbed a deliveryman as he was carrying Chinese food to a Manhattan Avenue apartment on March 27.

The deliveryman, 25, was bringing food to an apartment in the building, between Seigel and McKibbin streets, at 9:25 pm, when three thugs emerged from the stairwell, pulled out a knife and demanded his money and food.

The victim handed over $200, a cellphone and $22 worth of Chinese food.

And in the third incident, a 28-year-old woman was entering her Broadway apartment building at 9:35 pm on March 29 was approached by a strange man who pulled a large knife.

The tenant of the building, between Berry and South Sixth streets, gave the thief her $400 iPod, a $70 wallet, a credit card, an ATM card, a $76 MetroCard, and a German identification card worth $120.

Tween victim

An 11-year-old kid was attacked on March 25 as he was heading to a bus stop at the northeast corner of Throop Avenue and Walton Street.

“Hey, motherf—er,” said a guy who looked about 17.

The unlucky Pulaski Street tween, who’d been heading to the bus stop at 5 pm, tried to walk away, but the thug tripped him, punched and hit him, tore off the boy’s white T-shirt and then fled.

Guitar stolen

A $4,000 1962 Epiphone Coronet guitar was stolen from a Driggs Avenue shop on March 28, cops said.

The victim, 31, discovered the theft at 7:45 pm at his store, Southside Guitars, which is between South Second and South Third streets. He has since offered a reward for any information leading to the ax’s return.

“I will pay $500 for the guitar's safe return and $500 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the thief,” reads the post on Craigslist. “I can be reached at (917) 723-9434.”

The thief won’t get the monetary reward, though he or she will get a reward of another sort — the victim won’t press charges.

Gunpoint rob

An armed thug robbed a teenager on March 28 on Maujer Street, cops said.

The 18-year-old victim was between Humboldt Street and Bushwick Avenue at around 5:40 pm when the thug ran up, whipped out a gun and demanded, “Run your pockets.”

The gunman got $1 — yes, one dollar — and the victim’s cellphone.

Purse snatched

A Graham Avenue resident’s purse was snatched in front of her own home on March 29.

The victim, 32, told cops she was between Meserole and Scholes streets at 1:20 am when a stranger ran up to her, grabbed the $675 bag from her hand, and fled.

Inside the pricey satchel she was carrying $30, her ID and her house keys.

Shop ransacked

A thief broke into a Graham Avenue shop last week, stealing cash and cellphones.

The incident happened at some point between 6:30 pm on March 22 and 11:40 am on March 30. Cops believe the thief broke in through a mailbox connecting the store with a hallway leading to neighboring apartments.

The victim, a 45-year-old man, said $3,500 and the two phones were stolen from the shop, between Moore and Seigel streets.

Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like The Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.