The executive director of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy defended the closure the temporary park on Pier 1 for a private fireworks-watching event on July 4.
Last week, The Brooklyn Paper reported on the event, which was organized by the mayor’s office on behalf of veterans and their families, after several people complained that the so-called “pop-up park” at the foot of Old Fulton Street in DUMBO closed early on the Fourth. Would-be fireworks watchers were forced to find another public area to “ooh” and “aah.”
On Tuesday, Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy head honcho Marianna Koval called us to explain the move.
“Your story seemed to make it out to be a negative thing, but we were pleased to do something nice for veterans,” said Koval. “We had roughly 300 people, including veterans who were about to leave for another tour in Iraq and Afghanistan.”
Koval said she was perturbed that The Brooklyn Paper story focused on would-be park-goers’ frustration that the much-ballyhooed public park was closed during a very public display: the Macy’s fireworks pageant.
“The veterans loved it — and these are people who don’t get enough recognition for the work they do,” she said.
©2008 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.