Screwed DUMBO driver speaks!

A law-abiding DUMBO driver whose car was ticketed on Monday after the city installed new parking signs says the $115 citation is “unfair.”

Ines Rios, a maintenance supervisor at a special needs school, parked her car in a legal spot on Washington Street between Front and Main streets at around 5:30 am on Monday — the same spot she takes at the same time every day.

But five hours later, as The Brooklyn Paper reported exclusively on Monday, Department of Transportation workers installed signs that changed the alternate-side-of-the-street parking zone into a two-hour parking area and a “no standing zone” that snared Rios’s green Ford.

When Rios returned to her car at around 3:30 pm, the city had already fined her $115 for not moving the vehicle from what was a legal spot when she took it in the first place.

“It’s not right,” said Rios. “When I parked here, the sign wasn’t even up. This is unfair. They shouldn’t ticket people right after they put the signs up. How was I supposed to know I had to move my car?”

Rios plans to fight the ticket.

The Department of Transportation declined to comment, but a police source told The Brooklyn Paper that she should plead not guilty and send her ticket to traffic court with an explanation that signage had been changed.

“The court has information on what streets they changed and the times and dates,” the source said.

This isn’t the first time that the city has ticketed drivers immediately after changing parking rules. Last year, Williamsburgers protested against the tickets they received just hours after signs were changed on Kent Avenue. Those tickets were eventually overturned.

Mark from Brooklyn says:

you got SCREWED big time....

its only about money for the city.it sounds like mike Blooberg is not runing again for mayor
so he dont care anymore....
March 11, 2009, 12:36 pm
Paul from Brooklyn says:
I have to say that I am utterly sick and tired of the police attitude to ticketing. In Caroll Gardens they hang around waiting for the watershed time and if your even 2 minutes late they ticket you. Once we arrived as the guy was just starting to write.. and he still said tough. So many people complain about how over zealous the police are in ticketing .. which is because its an easy revenue generator. I used to be a supporter of the local police, but now I wont even give them the time of day as they dont seem to give the public the time of day.
March 11, 2009, 12:37 pm
Robert from Dumbo says:
Those crazy ticket people. I have an office on Plymouth St. with a view of the street and on two different occasions have witnessed a DOT truck drive up, change a sign which allowed cars to park all day into a no standing anytime sign. Idling 1 block south was a DOT tow truck who shortly after towed 3 vehicles. In a separate event I myself was standing (idling in the drivers seat) in a no parking 8-6 zone. I was not parked. An officer walked to the front of my car and wrote me a ticket... ignoring my request as to why she was ticketing me and my statement that I was standing and not parking. She was determined to write tickets without just cause. She had a bulldog attitude. Like the police, the DOT has major personnel problems. Both agencies are out of control.
March 11, 2009, 1:02 pm
kallenyc from Brooklyn Heights says:
The parking regulations in DUMBO are changing quickly as the neighborhood evolves. I also got ticketed in a zone where there was no sign. I came back to my car a few days later and there were two brand new signs on poles newly embedded in the sidewalk. You can contest tickets online which is what I would do in this case to save you time. If the decision doesn't go your way, you can always appeal and appear in person then to fight the ticket. If the DOT does indeed keep track of signage changes, I'd try to save yourself the trip to begin with.
March 12, 2009, 4:47 am
m from GP says:
Is this particular case fair? No, the ticket should be voided.

But really, most drivers get away with too much, and I have no sympathy for the rest. If anything we need to issue 10x the amount of tickets!
March 12, 2009, 8:29 am
S. Capades from out on the D Train says:
Anyone owning and operating an automobile in NYC deserves these little reminders that there is no logical reason to own and operate an automobile in NYC.
March 12, 2009, 11:33 am