Young hopeful takes own life at 26

A 26-year-old fashion photographer ended her life on Sunday, leaving her friends and family bewildered and stunned.

Greenpoint resident Veronica Boehm threw herself in front of a northbound C train at 5:40 pm in Manhattan’s 96th Street Station.

Police sources said she died instantly from multiple blunt traumas and a medical examiner ruled her death a suicide.

Boehm grew up in Maryland, but moved to New York about eight years ago with dreams of becoming an artist and shutterbug.

She studied photography at the School of Visual Arts under the tutelage of acclaimed photographers, including Charlotte Cotton and Seth Greenwald, and her work appeared in the school’s visual arts gallery in 2007.

She pursued a career in fashion, serving as a photo editor at City Magazine and working at Williamsburg’s perennially hip Beacon’s Closet vintage and consignment store for several years.

The store closed on Monday in the wake of her death as her co-workers mourned their beloved friend’s passing.

Others posted reflections on her Facebook page.

“You were really amazing and impossibly warm and always down for a lark,” wrote one friend. “I’ll miss you very very much. Dance partners forever.”

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Rob from Greenpoint says:
Absolutely heartbreaking.
April 1, 2011, 9:03 am
alexander says:
she was such an amazing person from what I got to know of her :(
April 1, 2011, 6:24 pm
kevin from williamsburg says:
this is so sad to me, i hate suicide, my best friend did it and i have issues ever since, . so sad
April 1, 2011, 7:31 pm
Seth Greenwald says:
There has most assuredly been nothing “acclaimed” about me; Ms. Boehm was my student during her first year, in college, and I co-curated, (with Stephen Frailey, Department Chair), “Disembody,” that 2007 exhibition referenced, in the article. I have interacted with a multitude of young people, over the past several years; it is often difficult to connect names to faces to dates, etc. Yet, I remember Veronica, something of her stayed with me: the look, in her eyes, her unique energy...and, I remember liking her very much. I sincerely wish I had known her better. I am utterly heartbroken to know of her untimely passing and I want to send my most sincere condolences to her family and all others affected by this tragic loss. Who among us can ever truly know the depths of pain that drives one to such an end? Who among us can judge? Let us remember Ms. Boehm for all the beautiful things she brought to her life and may she rest in peace.
Much love to all....
-Seth P. Greenwald
April 1, 2011, 8 pm
emily from Williamsburg says:
RIP Veronica
April 4, 2011, 6:52 pm
Don says:
I didn't know Veronica, but I work with her father, and it breaks my heart to hear of this tragedy. I agree with Seth that no one will ever know the pain that she must have been experiencing and that it could drive her to such an end. This is the second time this week I have heard of someone that I had a distant connection to commiting suicide. I only wish I could have had the opportunity to somehow have altered their individual courses.
April 5, 2011, 11:24 am
Stacey former Greenpoint from London says:
If you see something say something. This goes for depression and drug abuse abuse. See a friend or anybody for that matter who seems conflicted or down- ask why, say something, extend a hand, take them for a cup of coffee.
April 5, 2011, 11:36 pm
Elizabeth from Brooklyn says:
Agreed Stacey. It takes just a moment to extend kindness and compassion.
May she rest in peace.
April 6, 2011, 10:47 am
Doesnt matter. from —— you says:
Hey Stacey, there was nothing to see. Mind your own ——ing business. Veronica showed NO signs of suicidal thoughts. Seriously, keep your opinion on this matter to your self. And drug abuse? No. There was none.
April 7, 2011, 8:52 pm
beloved from williamsburg says:
Veronica had an incredibly strong community of friends. She was loved dearly by many. She was open about her depression - but she never opened the door to the darkest places within. Ending ones own life can not be written off as something which occurred because everyone was too busy to extend their hands. We extended hands the morning it happened. This pain is too much. I miss my friend. I just miss my friend.
April 7, 2011, 10:59 pm
read from ... says:
Dear "Doesn't Matter" from -- you...

If you read properly, Stacey was talking about a situation in general, not about Veronica. She was pointing out how important it is to take care of the people around us and make sure they're doing ok - that's all.

She never said that Veronica personally showed signs of suicidal thoughts, NEITHER did she say she abused drugs.

Read properly and don't act tough.
April 8, 2011, 1:01 pm
laura from williamsburg says:
I miss you so much
April 18, 2011, 3:44 am
mariana says:
I don't believe that people kill themselves for depression, some may do. but it doesn't necessarily means that you are depressed if you don't feel high on life. I didn't know her i accidentally read this and found something common with her. sensitive people can reach the highest beauty as well as darkness in life, sometimes both at the same time. people will miss her but she did what she felt.
April 21, 2011, 11:10 pm