Many people were visibly excited about the naked bike ride on Sunday

Biking in Brooklyn just got a lot more naked.

More than 200 riders cast their fates — and also their skin-tight bicycle shorts — to the wind on Sunday for the World Naked Bike Ride.

The “open-ended” protest, replicated in Brazil, Australia and the United Kingdom, draws attention to the dangers of car exhaust, nuclear radiation, and other toxic substances people are exposed to living in the city.

“The whole point is that we have fragile bodies,” said Times Up’s Ben Shepard, who helped organize the ride. “There’s too much pollution in the physical and mental environment.

Cyclists stripped to their undies and painted colorful slogans touting green energy on their chests and backs while riding around lower Manhattan.

But this year, the police made sure the cyclists wouldn’t go all the way.

“No one went completely bottomless,” said semi-naked cyclist Joseph Sharkey. “We had NYPD there to protect our safety including our balls — their presence muted the nudity aspect of the ride.”

Officers arrested one rider and gave another a ticket before dispersing as the cyclists crossed the Williamsburg Bridge into Brooklyn.

Then the clothes came off and the party began.

“This was a really great day for New York — people were really visibly excited,” said Shepard. “There was a sense of New York being the Naked City again.”

Ben from Greenpoint says:
Aaron short the king of crap news!!!!!!!
July 27, 2011, 11:15 am
Michael from Park Slope says:
How silly! What's worse: How childish!
July 27, 2011, 5:38 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First off, I don't want to hear anyone wishing me dead saying this, because I am entitled to my opinion as well as the rest of you are. I don't see what is so special about riding a bicycle naked when this normally against the laws of being nude in public. I find this as dumb as the No Pants Subway Ride. What exactly are people trying to gain here by riding a bicycle naked?
July 27, 2011, 6:48 pm
John from Greenpoint says:
Does the Brooklyn Paper have any real news? Or does it just report crap that no one cares about. Rename it the YuppiePaper !!!
July 27, 2011, 8:25 pm
sara from adger says:
In this day and age, simple nudity outdoors should be no problem to society, when there are shootings and knifings every week. I hate wearing clothes except for protection from the cold or hazardous activities and regularly take clothes free walks in our lovely countryside, occasionally meeting clothed (textile!) walkers but as they see me simply enjoying nature naturally we exchange a cheery good day and go on our way! And you may need to check naturistmingle.com out there.
July 27, 2011, 10:35 pm
Rich from Brooklyn says:
I rode in this event. And I had a lot of fun. It's beats the hell out of being a miserable complainer. This is what you do with your life? Sad, I'm going back to having fun.
July 27, 2011, 11:56 pm
Rogrman from Park Slope says:
I think it hilarious that the cops dispersed when the bikebutts headed to W'Burg. Is it possible to be a hipster without any clothes?
July 28, 2011, 2 pm
Hansg from Connct says:
I'm a big fan of the film "the Naked City" and found this by accident - searching for any articles on the film. If anyone here knows the places in the film - I am very interested in finding out if shoot locations still exist; especially those in the end-scenes (root beer soda shop - thru to williamsburg bridge); what streets are these? Is is possible to list the "chase" street by street? What is the name of this neighborhood? Are the buidings still there? hansgreeber at g mail dot com.
July 30, 2011, 11:05 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First of all, I could not have posted at 6:48pm July 27 because I was visiting my doctor for my weekly enema. I am reporting all imperonating posts to my congressman, unless I get an immediate apollogy and either 1 million dollars compinsation or season tickets to the WNBA for all teams. On a sise note, it is not the case that I don't like bikes. I still ride my tricycle around my block on weekend mornings for excersize...and sometimes I do it wearing only my mothers's garter. I am merely stating that car owners pay much more than their disporportionate share of taxes and deserve more consideration than bikers. MOst bikers that I know are unemployed or working as squeejee punks. Naked bikeriders tend to pay very little in tax dollars, while fully clothed car drivers pay there helth care costs, subsidize their standdard of living, and so forth. Lastly, I am tired of everybody ganging up on me when all I am doing is stating facts and debunking the undebunkables.

-Tal Barlizai