It’s a donut, no it’s a burger! Who cares? It’s delicious

for The Brooklyn Paper

Finally — a burger that eats like a donut.

The geniuses at the Burger Bistro in Bay Ridge had done what once seemed the impossible: they’ve taken the sublime joy of chopped meat, American cheese and Applewood smoked bacon and stuffed it into the ultimate Platonic treat, a bakery-fresh sugar-glazed donut.

Did I forget the fried egg? It’s in there, too.

Could this thing get any better?

“We were originally thinking of doing a take on a Boston cream donut, with chocolate ganache over the top and a burger that oozed some sort of cheese,” said co-owner John Agnello. “But that went a little too far.”

But does the Donut Burger also exceed the boundaries of good taste? Not for our mouths.

Sure, we were suspicious about the unapologetically excessive idea — burger, bacon, egg, cheese and donut — but it was love at first bite: the Donut Burger is an unexpected explosion of harmonious, umami-rich flavor. The beef patty is juicy, the egg yolk and cheese properly unctuous, and the bacon and sugar do an oral lambada that should be illegal.

We didn’t even feel particularly greasy or gluttonous when we were done — at least, not until we had finished our side of fries, a pint of beer, and a few exemplary tater tots appropriated from a fellow diners plate.

Now, before you plan your week around this diet buster, understand that the Donut Burger is not a regular menu item, but a special that Agnello posts on his Facebook page.

So if you want to start liking this burger, start liking Burger Bistro’s Facebook page.

The Burger Bistro [7217 Third Ave. between 72nd and 73rd streets in Bay Ridge, (718) 833-5833].

Reach reporter Sarah Zorn at newsroom@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4504.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Justine from Brooklyn Heights says:
MMmmm! Yummy in my Tummy! I would like this burger
to occupy my mouth.
Oct. 24, 2011, 11:35 am
Asir from Bay ridge says:
You are just so much fun to read as for the burger sounds sinful
Oct. 24, 2011, 11:49 am
Virginia Dave from Bayridge says:
Another example of stoopid liberal lies!
Oct. 24, 2011, 5:29 pm
TheRealVirginiaDave from Bay Ridge says:
I don't know who posted that but it wasn't me. I love everything about the Burger Bistro and John is my favorite restaurant owner in Bay Ridge. Someone needs to get a life.
Oct. 24, 2011, 6:37 pm
Sarah Z. from BP says:
Thanks Asir! And the burger really is delicious.
Oct. 24, 2011, 7:48 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I would like to try this burger if I ever get the chance. However, I feel that that the dietically correct will prevent this from every comming popular. Before any of them come here and say how bad it is I will like to say this, "If you don't like this burger, then don't eat it, because it's not as if someone is forcing you, but please don't call for it to be taken off just because you don't like it." BTW, there are plenty of foods I don't like, but I am not calling for them be banned or try to stop others from liking them just because I don't like them.
Oct. 25, 2011, 7:26 pm
Chad from WV says:
Fat much?
Oct. 26, 2011, 5:33 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Those streetsbloggers will run down this place b/c they want everybody to be slim and trim like they are instead of the fat disgusting slob that I am. I eat at the Colonel at least 3 times per week and go through a whole bucket myself. So what? It is my right to do so and it gives me what I need to get through the day. Israel has to feed itself in spite of attacks from 3/4 sides (one side is the medditereannean sea, and even here you got Turkey acting like a Chicken). Don't bother responding because it will only proove my point that you are all against me, no matter what position i take.
Oct. 30, 2011, 10:10 pm
ty from pps says:
"Don't bother responding because it will only proove my point that you are all against me, no matter what position i take."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!