Bushwick Block Party 2012: Arts professional wrestling, and Andrew W.K.

What happens when hipsters throw a Brooklyn block party?

for The Brooklyn Paper

Bushwick’s former factories have become home to thousands of artsy young folks — so it’s only fitting the neighborhood’s block parties are a little different than the ones you’ll find elsewhere in the borough.

The blocks around the Morgan L station will erupt in a music-art-and-pizza-filled blowout on July 28, say event organizers who will shut down Moore Street between Bogart and White streets to bring out the seemingly abandoned neighborhood’s art-loving denizens for a not-so-old-fashioned block party.

“When we first opened here, there was nothing around,” said Anthony Falco, the director of mobile operations for Roberta’s Pizza, which is the main sponsor of the event. “It’s been great to watch the whole area grow, and this is a celebration of that.”

And though closing down a street to party is standard Brooklyn fare, this isn’t a standard Brooklyn street. Moore Street has, in many ways, become a social hub for the young people who have flocked to the area for cheap live-work spaces.

In its first year, the block party was held on a cold and rainy September day — but last year, Roberta’s moved it to July, where it fell on one of the hottest days of the year.

The organizers had a dunk tank and opened up a fire hydrant. Partiers huddled in the few spots of shade and watched Bushwick’s wildest and weirdest belt out their heartfelt compositions.

Revelers can expect more of that this year, as well as oddities such as professional wrestling matches in the middle of the street, motorcycle burnouts from the motorcycle gang and fashion label Deth Killers and an instant photobooth.

“We’re out here in the middle of nowhere,” said Falco. “It gives us room to experiment. There’s all this great energy out here, so why not get it all in one place?”

This is the third year of the Bushwick Block Party and organizers are optimistic it will be the biggest yet, with rocker Andrew WK as the celebrity draw. Other local performers include Heems, Tournament and Wild Yaks.

Phillip Gilmour, owner of Momo Sushi Shack, said the block party helps to showcase what makes Bushwick unique among New York City neighborhoods.

“It’s a younger and more eclectic neighborhood,” said Gilmour. “There are all these young artist people out here. It seems desolate, but it’s not.”

Bushwick Block Party at Roberta’s [261 Moore Street, (718) 417–1118, robertaspizza.com]. July 28, 12 pm–12am. Free.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Rocco D from Dyker Heights says:
Who cares?
July 23, 2012, 2:26 pm
Not Rocco D from Not Dyker Heights says:
I do!
July 23, 2012, 7:45 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
“We’re out here in the middle of nowhere,”
Like Yah! Bushwick didn't exist before I got here. Like Yah!
July 23, 2012, 7:51 pm
I_exterminate_fauxhemians from Skaro says:
Deth Killers a motorcycle gang? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Hipsters ---> Woodchipper NOW!
July 23, 2012, 9:13 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
I pretend to be a hater on other people having a good time but I'm secretly depressed and cry myself to sleep at night because I don't have any friends and nobody would invite me to these block parties. That's why I go negative and hate on people on these posts. I'm trying to make up for the years of sadness and disappointment that my pathetic life has become. My whole world is one big rainy day... :(
July 24, 2012, 10:42 am
hipsterssuck from BoroughPark says:
That is all.
July 24, 2012, 10:48 am
i_exterminate_fauxhemians from Skaro says:
This goes to the hiptard who think's he's cute and funny by posting as "Swamp Yankee". Lemme clue you in on something: No one needs to be "invited" to a hiptard block party. One can simply waltz right in and start clowning/exploiting (like Kari Ferrell did to you chumps)/robbing the hiptards. It's not like any of the noodle armed beta males CAN or will do anything other than push their pasty, dumpy, sexually-frustrated-to-the-point-of-going-lesbo girlfriend in front of them at the first hint of danger.

July 24, 2012, 3:38 pm
i_exterminate_fauxhemians from Skaro says:
Confession...I was dropped on my head repeatedly and most likely on purpose by my parents when I was a child. I apologize for my inane nonsensical previous posting. May God have mercy on my soul.
July 24, 2012, 4:48 pm
i_exterminate_fauxhemians from Skaro says:
^^^
Weak. I thought you hipster douchebags were "talented" and "creative" as opposed to being predictable and mundane in the extreme. The only time you normally fail this much is when you try to please your dumpy, canklesaurus of a girlfriend.

Oh and posting as your adversary who has caused you butthurt was played out in 1999 on the usenet. Pedophiles used to do that after getting owned by us. Perhaps you're one of those treejumpers/chomos/rockspiders?
July 24, 2012, 5:12 pm
i_exterminate_fauxhemians from Skaro says:
Another confession...I'm 50 years old and am a "Brooklyn Original"...but I still live in my mother's basement. My job at the local McDonald's doesn't pay as much as I would have hoped. Pretty soon though I'll be promoted to head fry cook for sure then I'll show you all!
July 24, 2012, 5:37 pm
Butthurt_Hipster_is_Butthurt says:
^^^
Butthurt hiptser is butthurt. LOL! Keep trying hiptard. I'll give you a D- for that one.

On a serious note, you know once you squander your trust fund, you'll be sucking off old queens for a hot meal because you're too underqualified to work at Mickey D's. You fail again.
July 24, 2012, 5:49 pm
Amy from Brooklyn says:
You all need to grow up/get something better to do. It's the internet, stop getting into dumb arguments in comments below an article that will be forgotten in a few days. It's just sad.
July 25, 2012, 4:15 pm
i_stab_hipsters from right_behind_U_with_a_drawn_blade says:
You should have taken your own advice. There had not been a post in ALMOST 24 HOURS until you stopped by. In fact, it probably would have been the LAST post had your stupid, cliche-spouting, oxygen wasting ass not shown up to "enlighten" us immature types with your post. Way to go! Idiot.

Make yourself useful and go take a running leap into a woodchipper.
July 25, 2012, 10:28 pm
i_stab_hipsters from right_behind_U_with_a_drawn_blade says:
That reply was to Amy who is supposedly "from" Brooklyn.
July 25, 2012, 10:31 pm
Ethan Pettit from East Williamsburg says:
I'll be there. For sure. Thank you Roberta's. Thank you hipsters! For repurposing this neighborhood for a bright future.
July 26, 2012, 1:49 pm
Bulldog from the shadows about to rob that ass! says:
@Ethan,

I'll be there too! It would be foolish on my part to pass up all the free iPhones and iPads.
July 26, 2012, 3:25 pm
Concerned from Kent Ave says:
It's one thing to make fun of people and call them stupid and make fun of them for being "hipsters" even though you're wrong and that most of the relatively new residents of the neighborhood are successful young professionals who's gentrification of the community have led to higher property values. You're welcome Williamsburg.

It's another thing entirely to make violent threats. I sincerely hope that the admins of this site report your IP address to the authorities. You need serious help.
July 26, 2012, 4:13 pm
The Brickman from in the shadows throwing a brick at your face says:
@Concerned from Kent Ave

You need to change your name to "Wuss from [insert hick town here]"

I never knew oxygen wasting, no-talent having fauxhemian douchetards living on daddy's dime while killing time as baristas were considered "successful young professionals" (no, being a blogger is NOT a professional job). Talk about delusions of grandeur.

I got a brick with a hipturd''s name on it.

July 26, 2012, 11:44 pm
@Really? from Flatbush says:
So, families and jobs didn't exist in Bushwick before the arrival of hipsters??? That isn't my 35-year recollection. Amazing that the generations of people who call this community home are being written out just like many communities of color are all over Brooklyn.
July 27, 2012, 8:36 am
Concerned from Kent Ave says:
Actually Brickman I make six figures and I don't blog nor have I ever worked as a barista. I also don't wear skinny jeans nor have I taken a dime from my parents since I graduated from college.

Good try though. Hope that job at the post office is working out for you.

Also, congratulations I haven't heard the word wuss let alone been called one since 1992. Are you trying to be retro or something? If so, that's pretty hipster of you.
July 27, 2012, 11:34 am
Brickman from a place where hipster corpses are buried says:
@Concerned from Kent Ave

Sure you are. You're a non-hipster who makes six figures and the "Deth Killers" are a real MC. LOL!

*SLAP!*

IRONICALLY, your post revealed you as a hiptard. You tried too hard and failed in the process. As often as you hipturds create online personas to make you and your worthless joke of a subculture look less worthless, one would think you'd actually be good at it. Sucks to be you hiptard.
July 27, 2012, 1:17 pm
iPhone Reseller from other side of town selling your iPhone to another hipster says:
Yo Bulldog, you may have competition. I'm gonna have to bring a backpack for all of the iPhones and other iCrap I'm gonna be taking from these herbs. To be honest, we really don't need to be competitors since these bedbug farming hillbillies lack anything that could be remotely considered common sense. Just be warned, these hipster hoes will actually try to fight back (they have greater upper body strength than the males), while with the dudes you can just say "BOO!" and they'll give up their iGadget and offer to suck you off just to avoid a beating.
July 27, 2012, 1:28 pm
Friday says:
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
"I pretend to be a hater on other people having a good time but I'm secretly depressed ... nobody would invite me to these block parties."

An invitation to a block party? You sound quite displaced.
July 27, 2012, 4:11 pm
Jonathan from Brooklyn says:
I —— dicks
July 28, 2012, 11:59 am
Ethan Von Nasalhonk from Nieuw Breukelen says:
Like yah!
July 28, 2012, 7:56 pm
bushwickresident from bushwick says:
just left this so called party it ——ing sucked.
July 28, 2012, 10:58 pm
Ethan Von Nasalhonk from Nieuw Breukelen says:
@bushwickresident

What do you mean? IT WAS DECK! You must be some Tony Danza guido with no sense of culture or whimsy!

WE (the CREATIVE CLASS) BRING CULTURE TO YOUR CITY AND THIS IS HOW YOU SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION? INGRATES!
July 30, 2012, 8:45 am