Bay Ridge Towers tenants want the city to keep eight parking spots on Fourth Avenue

Towers residents go toe-to-toe against CB10 over removal of public parking spots

for The Brooklyn Paper

Bay Ridge Towers residents are blasting a city proposal to remove eight parking spots from Fourth Avenue at 65th Street, claiming that they desperately need the spaces — sparking a war of words with infuriated Community Board 10 members who say high-rise apartment complex tenants have their own 300-car lot and shouldn’t be parking on city streets.

The Department of Transportation wants to remove the eight parking spots so it can create a left-hand turn lane at the intersection, which the agency claims will eliminate a bottleneck on the heavily travelled thoroughfare. But Bay Ridge Towers tenants say they use those spots, which are right around the corner from the 65th Street building, when their parking lot is filled.

“They are quite valuable to the building,” said Bay Ridge Towers board president Thomas Clark, claiming that not every apartment has a parking space, and some tenants have as many as three cars — news that elicited angry responses from parking spot-strapped CB10 members attending last week’s Traffic and Transportation Committee meeting.

“If you’re going to have three cars, move elsewhere,” board member Joseph Sokoloski told Clark.

Other CB 10 members downplayed Clark’s claims, believing that the Bay Ridge Towers could fit more cars in its lot if it redrew the lines.

“If you took a good look at your parking deck, I bet you could squeeze 50 more spots out of there,” CB10 member Bob Hudock said.

Yet Clark was quick to lash back, claiming that the lot is already crammed with cars.

“If you’d like me to give you a tour of our parking, I’d be happy to do it,” Clark told Hudock.

Some Bay Ridge Towers residents say the eight spots will be removed in vain because the city’s plan won’t alleviate congestion on Fourth Avenue won’t work.

“South-bound traffic has to be stopped to allow north-bound traffic to turn,” Bay Ridge Towers resident Bill Benedetto said, demanding that the Department of Transportation install a traffic light under the overpass to force cars coming into Bay Ridge to stop.

Department of Transportation officials said they would consider putting in a traffic light, but only in conjunction with their current plan.

The committee didn’t make a recommendation — which is only advisory — at last week’s meeting. The proposal will be discussed by CB10’s full board on Sept. 24.

T from BR says:
“They are quite valuable to the building,” said Bay Ridge Towers board president Thomas Clark.

If parking is so valuable to these people, tell me why it's free? An apartment is quite valuable to me. May I have an apartment in Bay Ridge Towers for free?
Sept. 17, 2012, 10:42 am
Harry from B.R. says:
The building doesn't own street parking. Period.
Sept. 17, 2012, 11:32 am
ty from pps says:
Who cares if their parking lot is full... are they really making this much of a stink about EIGHT parking spots?!

"This won't alleviate the congestion..."

Well, these 8 friggin' spots won't alleviate your parking problems. Get over yourself.
Sept. 17, 2012, 12:20 pm
BG from Bay Ridge says:
If Community Board 10 doesn't think street parking belongs to any one person or building, why then did they erect a sign on the corner of 82nd Street off of 5th Avenue allocating a public parking space specifically for community board members? They are nothing but useless hypocrites.
Sept. 17, 2012, 12:52 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
That's because CB 10 doesn't want to use the Municipal lot, which is 4 short bloks from that location.
Sept. 17, 2012, 1:35 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Clearly the residents of the towers know their neighborhood and parking needs better than anyone here or on the community board otherwise they wouldn't speak up at the meeting. If they need these parking spaces who is anyone to say that they should be taken away just because more people need the space? Its very typical of ty and his aliases to complain about parking but then not give people what they deserve which is a replacement for their parking which they lost or a credit to pay for parking or something else. And if someone has three cars I don't think that's for us to complain about since I don't think you would complain about a family having three bicycles which also need three parking spaces. But don't expect intelligence from ty or his friends.
Sept. 17, 2012, 3:56 pm
RON from Bay Ridge says:
BG - FYI When CB10 moved into their 5th Ave office, the two parking spots that the city had given them were to be moved to their new offices. Our District Manager requested that only one space be reserved and to return the second one to public on-street parking. And this one that is used is needed because the DM must attend required meetings all across the city - to many places not serviced by public transportation.
Sept. 17, 2012, 6:01 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal...

"The Department of Transportation wants to remove the eight parking spots so it can create a left-hand turn lane at the intersection, which the agency claims will eliminate a bottleneck on the heavily travelled thoroughfare."

Try reading.

Which is more important, Tal, driving your car or free parking (i.e., free storage of private property on publicly owned land). Wait, I thought your whole argument was making the slot bigger so the water flows. Isn't that what the DOT is doing? Widening the road? Now, all of a sudden, parking is more important than a bigger roadway? Hmm?

I'm so disappointed that "Tal and his aliases" are so stupid.

And why are the tower residents and their parking needs more important than the rest of the neighborhoods driving needs? Hmmm?
Sept. 17, 2012, 6:50 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
What did I miss today? I was so busy today having to go down to pay some settlements that I owed and a flat tire come on one of my tires forcing me to get it fixed, because I couldn't go any further with it. After that I went back to my house to get my brother to head to the city to see the Civilians rendition of OWS at Joe's Pub today, and I just got back now after being out of the house for most of the day. Getting back to topic, unless there is a way to increase the parking spaces at the Bay Ridge Towers, they shouldn't take away parking spaces for that. As a matter of fact, reducing parking spaces will lead to more circling. I will only support making that left turn lane if the lot of the Bay Ridge Towers will get more parking spaces. On a side note, it's slit, not slot, so learn how to spell things correctly, ty.
Sept. 17, 2012, 10:24 pm
ty from pps says:
OK. So Tal is fake. Moving on.
Sept. 17, 2012, 10:26 pm
--jin-- from sunset park says:
Gee. Tough break for them. Now, they'll have to drive around and look for spaces just like everyone else.
Sept. 18, 2012, 1:30 am
BG from Bay Ridge says:
Ron - Should I send the District Manager a thank you note for taking just one public parking space instead of two?

I don't think removing 8 spots from those buildings will make a big difference but the response “If you’re going to have three cars, move elsewhere” is completely unprofessional.

Or, maybe we can make the case that if the DM is unable to park his one car, maybe he should find a new job.
Sept. 18, 2012, 9:27 am
Ron from Bay Ridge says:
BG: A thank you not would be very nice but totally unnecessary. On second thought any one that unselfishly thinks to the needs of others (parking in this case), deserves not only a thank you, but a public acknowledgement of a job well done.

Please be clear that I was not the one to make the comment about anyone moving. I believe that what board member Joseph Sokoloski meant was that as parking is, in fact, very tight in this community for all of us, one can not expect to find easy parking for a 3-car family and that there is easier parking to be found outside this community. (please note that I have not consulted with Mr. Sokoloski, nor was I able to attend the meeting referred to). This is only my interpretation of his statement and I am only addressing this because you, BG, associated me with the comment.

The parking spots along with the permits that allow specialized parking in this city come out of city hall. In fact the mayor just recently greatly reduced the number of these permits in the city and they were removed entirely from agencies and offices where it was determined that their jobs could be performed effectively using public transportation. There were and continue to be city jobs that require individuals to travel across the city a few times in a day to attend required meetings and other events.

No one wants to see parking removed from this neighborhood and I advocate that a "parking neutral" approach be used by the DOT and others. This approach would ensure that when a spot is to be removed for whatever need (including a curb cut for access to your own new "parking pad") a new spot be created. At best this is a clunky proposal that at this time is full of holes. Holes can be filled. What is is however, is a mandate that the DOT and other individuals think about the implication of their actions and require them to assist in returning parking to the citizens of bay ridge and t rest of this city.
Sept. 18, 2012, 12:06 pm
BG from Bay Ridge says:
The city employs well over 200,000 people. Most are not entitled to parking but yet somehow they manage to do their jobs.

I'll save my thanks for the CB members who can get the police to remove the drug dealers that congregate a half a block from their office. I might actually concede the parking space. Then they will have earned it. But I won't hold my breath.
Sept. 18, 2012, 12:22 pm
BG from Bay Ridge says:

Sept. 18, 2012, 12:23 pm
Ron from Bay Ridge says:
BG: You are just filled with complaints about the going ons in this neighborhood. Could it be that Mr. Sokoloski was referring to you and others who sit comfortably back while complaining about what is wrong and how best some one else should solve it.

The vast majority of city employees that you refer to are and not management positions with job descriptions that include requirements for regular meetings across the five boroughs.

And I was unaware that one of the mandates of the community boards is to enable the police to enforce the laws. I had always thought that they were entirely able to do that without the community boards.
Sept. 18, 2012, 12:35 pm
Ron from Bay Ridge says:

Sept. 18, 2012, 12:35 pm
BG from Bay Ridge says:
Who is full of complaints? My first post was merely pointing out the hypocrisy in the CB members telling others they don't deserve street parking while keeping a space for their own use. Not really a complaint, more of a statement.

I thought the CB acts as the collective voice of the community in all aspects. If they are not, I apologize.

I, as an individual citizen can call the police daily as I do. I know the CB is aware of the drug problem on the block in which they park their car. And if they, speaking as the collective voice of the community, could possible put a little pressure on the precinct to do something, it would be most helpful.
Sept. 18, 2012, 12:59 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
One thing I do know is that that one parking lane is used much more than most of the bike lanes in the city are on a daily basis.
Sept. 18, 2012, 6:34 pm
Crawford from Bay Ridge says:
Um, this is PUBLIC land. The residents of Bay Ridge Towers have no more right to the land than you or I.

If the residents want this land as their own parking space, they can pay for it. Otherwise, their personal parking needs should play no role in city land-use decisionmaking.
Sept. 19, 2012, 12:25 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Their taxes for infrastructure are already paying for the read, so in a way, they are paying for it, just not directly.
Sept. 19, 2012, 6:19 pm
george d from sunset Park says:
This building is state subsidized Mitchell-Lama. I think a 2 person household cannot earn more than $50,000/year.

How do you afford a car with those income restrictions? Stop pulling my leg. You don't even deserve the 300 spaces you have.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:59 pm
george d from sunset park says:
This is state sponsored Mitchell-Lama housing. I think the income maximum for 2 people is $50,000.

Where do these people get the money to afford a car. They don't even deserve the 300 parking spaces.
Sept. 26, 2012, 9:02 pm