Judge Orders Giuffre Car Dealerships to Pay Millions for alleged Fraudulent Business Practices

Judge: Giuffre must pay restitution to customers

A Bay Ridge car dealership will have to pay more than $500,000 in penalties now that a state judge has ruled that the business bilked several customers.

Judge Bernard J. Graham ordered John Giuffre’s automobile empire — which runs four car dealerships in Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst — to reimburse 46 of its former customers $294,500, as well as $215,500 in civil fines.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman accused Giuffre of lying to buyers about the contracts they were signing, as well as hitting purchasers with unwanted accessories and strong-arming people into signing blank contracts — actions that Schneiderman claims left Giuffre’s would-be victims in the poor house.

“Consumers found themselves owing more than they ever would have knowingly agreed to pay,” Schneiderman said.

The attorney general cobbled a case against Giuffre, which many community residents call a major Bay Ridge employer and philanthropist, after several customers came forward and claimed that they had been hoodwinked.

Schneiderman claimed that Giuffre salesmen played these illegal practices on immigrants and seniors, steps Judge Graham found reprehensible when he announced his decision.

“Each person wound up owning a car that they never intended to buy or a price that was dishonestly represented to them,” Graham said in his decision as he directed the dealership to reach out to the victims banks and lenders to try to get the victims’ credit scores restored.

Calls to Giuffre for comment were not returned by our midnight deadline.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at (718) 260–4507 or e-mail him at wbredderman@cnglocal.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/WillBredderman

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Bay Ridger from Bay Ridge says:
Giuffre?? What a shock!! Anyone who has managed to read the tiny, tiny print in their ads can figure out what kind of place they run.

Ripping off seniors and immigrants... what a disgrace.
They should be closed down.
Oct. 3, 2012, 10:56 am
Joey Bots from Bots Ridge says:
No one should purchase a car from these people. They are dishonest to the core.
Oct. 3, 2012, 12:44 pm
Rick from pk slope says:
Total crooks was told I was gonna pay &250 a month my payments are $345 also lied about insurance and that also went up...I will never do business with them again and neither should you...they lie lie and lie go anywhere else...
Oct. 3, 2012, 4:44 pm
Danny from Bay Ridge says:
I wanted a Hyundai and drove over to Giuffre. A salesman was standing out on the sidewalk like a carnival barker to pull people in! I told him I I wanted to see an Elantra. He actually walked over and opened the door of a Azera!!! I said this is pretty big for an Elantra. Nah, this is an Elantra he says. Then he closes the door and takes out a contract! I left.
Oct. 4, 2012, 6:21 am
robert from l says:
Horrible place .. richard the finance guy is a shark!!!!!!! never again..
Oct. 22, 2012, 1:17 pm
Joey from Bayridge says:
The biggest scam artists I have ever looked into doing business with.
Nov. 12, 2012, 8:32 pm
Lorrie from Bensonhurst says:
bought 3 cars in 1 day. As I was on the phone with the insurance company, the so called manager was in his office writing up the loan. He brought it out and the interest was almost 17%. I told him I could get a lower rate his reply to me was it is done already. My son totaled his car, and I ended owing 7,000 more. Same with the other 2. They are a disgrace to Brooklyn.

DO NOT WALK INTO THAT PLACE IF YOU WANT TO BE RIPPED OFF GO RIGHT AHEAD!
I have to add that that I was in there service center more than I was at home, and they never took care of me I always had to pay. Disgrace!!!!!
Dec. 12, 2012, 12:24 pm
Johnny from Brooklyn says:
I went in to buy an elantra he showed me a sonata and then he said they not making the elantra anymore meanwhile an elantra was inside the showroom these people are scams so is the owner so is the son they are a bunch of crooks dressed in suits just like they say fuggetaboutit ripp offs
May 14, 2013, 12:22 am
iggy from dyker heights says:
biggest ripoff change mileage readings salesman in and out of the place every 2 weels beside all the so called honest dealers were some of the biggest car theifs back in the days of tag jobs
June 7, 2013, 3:49 pm
Frankie from Bay Ridge says:
Bought a car and when my wife figured out the payments it was 500 hundred extra. My wife has a mortgage calculator. When we said there was 500 added on he said that was for taking the shrink wrap off. God will get even for everybody
June 20, 5:11 pm