Triumph and tragedy for Brooklyn runner in Boston

Prospect Park Alliance spokesman and dedicated Brooklyn runner Paul Nelson set his personal racing record at the Boston Marathon — less than an hour before bombs exploded at the finish line, separating him from his wife who remained on the course.

Nelson was cooling down in the hotel shower and soaking in his 3:16:35 triumph when twin blasts killed three and wounded more than 180 on Boylston Street one block away.

He didn’t hear the explosions, but got quick word of the catastrophe, and checked his wife Cassie’s progress on the race’s online tracking system.

“I did a quick calculation and knew that she was close to the explosions, but probably far enough away,” said the Bay Ridge resident, who was advised by police to stay in the hotel. “Every hotel had police outside. The site was blocked off from so far away that you couldn’t see anything.”

Cassie, like thousands of other runners, was halted for about 45 minutes and rerouted to avoid the tragic scene at the finish line, said Nelson, who received a text message from her sent using a stranger’s cellphone 30 minutes after the blasts saying that she was okay.

“We will definitely return because cowardly acts of terrorism only truly succeed if we let them live our lives in fear,” said Nelson, who met his wife 12 years ago on a 20-mile ING New York City Marathon training run. “Having talked to a bunch of runners who finished or didn’t, the sentiment is the same: happy to be alive, angry at who did this to such a beautiful event, and utter grief for the dead, injured, and their families.”

Reach reporter Natalie Musumeci at nmusumeci@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505. Follow her at twitter.com/souleddout.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

William from Brooklyn says:
Seem quite concerned with your best "time".. which I can tell you there are plenty of woman who run it much quicker, so not impressed. You show no concern of regard for those injured. Get off your high horse sir.. It's silly, your running, not solving world hunger or cancer.. lol
April 18, 2013, 11:54 am
Connie from Brooklyn says:
What is the point of this article, to pat King Paul on his back? Wow you ran in a marathon! Talking about your best time after what happened is disgraceful! And then on top of it, to publish an article about it, is ridiculous!
April 18, 2013, 12:15 pm
Judi from Saint Paul says:
Hey, lighten up critics! This guy was indeed basking in his time and well should. Don't either of you have a passion that doesn't hurt anyone else and brings joy to many? I read that Paul wasVERY concerned about the injured and dead AND his wife.. He must have tried to go back to the event and was told
he had to stay in the hotel. What is the issue here? A reporter wanted to make contact with someone from your area who was in the race. Get over yourself!
April 18, 2013, 12:50 pm
Judi from Saint Paul says:
April 18, 2013, 12:50 pm
Elvis from Nawcostella says:
This is a piece of garbage.
April 18, 2013, 12:53 pm
Anna from West point says:
Judi, "Get over yourself!" the point being is that who cares about how fast some (me me me) guy ran a race when people were murdered and blasted into pieces. If it were your leg blown off, would you give a crap that paul beat his best time? Guess what, during 9-11 I ran to the store faster than anyone!! YAY for me! Would that have been smart to write an article about my quickest time during Sept. 11?
April 18, 2013, 2:21 pm
ty from pps says:
How are you guys reading this article in this cynical way?! What's wrong with you?

This is an article -- not a bad one really -- just showing a local man's experience at the Boston Marathon... both his triumph followed by the horror of the attack and worry about his wife.
April 18, 2013, 2:59 pm
Shaking my head says:
@ty this is not just a story about King Paul and his experience at the Boston Marathon, read it again, its about his experience as a marathon runner on all 7 continents. Very inappropriate to brag at this time. @Judi, you think it was ok for him to bask in his time while a mother of an 8 year old is dealing with the death of her son? And what about the 29 year old who was lost along with a college student from China? Priorities!
April 18, 2013, 3:09 pm
Bewildered says:
170 injured; 3 dead; at least a dozen amputations; one man lost both his legs, but you ran fast! Wow! I hope the families of the victims read this, I am sure they will be comforted by the fact that you were soaking in your triumph while they are soaking in their tragedies.
April 18, 2013, 3:14 pm
Mike D from Brooklyn Zoo says:
The title of the article is "Triumph and tragedy for Brooklyn runner in Boston"

Exactly what tragedy did this runner experience? I understand the tragedy that everyone there was involved in, but this guy was relaxing in his hotel. Then for a very short time he was worried about his wife.

I wouldnt call that tradgedy. There are so many horrific stories that have been coming out, this is no where near one of them.

I feel so sad for the people in Boston. God Bless them.

And Paul god bless you, you are such an unbelievable runner. Wow, we should make you the next Mayor of New York. lol
April 18, 2013, 3:34 pm
mis from plg says:
These comments are shocking! Ty from pps got it right. I read it the same way.
April 18, 2013, 3:34 pm
Stacy says:
ty and mis you must be friends of Pauls to read it that way. LOL I dont think the families of the victims will read it that way.
April 18, 2013, 3:48 pm
Mr. Narcissistic from West Side says:
Mike D got it right, Triumph and tragedy for Brooklyn runner?? What tragedy? did you burn yourself slipping into your warm bath with your rubber ducky in hand? And I wouldn't call 3:16:35 a triumph. Some did better with one leg.. I see it that your happy about your time but find a better place and time to brag about it. Tragedy is having your 8 year old son killed in a bombing. But what do I know, continue on about your time. What an inspiration! I put a star next to your name.. you deserve it today!
April 18, 2013, 3:53 pm
The Shark from Bay Ridge says:
Oh god, all of you miserable a-holes lighten up - First of all, I must have missed the byline where it said "Written by: Paul Nelson". Paul does more for the running community than anyone else I know, especially cowardly people who —— on an internet message board.
Instead of whining behind your computers, why don't some of you get off your fat behinds and do something to help support Boston right now?
April 18, 2013, 3:59 pm
ty from pps says:
What, Stacy? LOL?

Did you guys actually read this article or are you just venting anger and frustration? Everyone deals with tragedy in different ways, including distorting a pretty simple story to say something it doesn't.
April 18, 2013, 4 pm
Jamie from Flatbush says:
What is with your reading comprehension? He is never quoted discussing his race performance. Here is his quote: “Having talked to a bunch of runners who finished or didn’t, the sentiment is the same: happy to be alive, angry at who did this to such a beautiful event, and utter grief for the dead, injured, and their families.”

And how is this inappropriate?
April 18, 2013, 4 pm
Kristen from Brooklyn says:
True, Paul Nelson is an accomplished marathoner. True, Paul Nelson was justifiably enjoying his Boston triumph BEFORE learning about the horrific act of terror. And then, Paul Nelson began searching for his wife. Like any of us would be, I am sure Paul Nelson was terrified for her. I cannot even imagine.

Paul Nelson is a teammate of mine. I know Paul Nelson, and for those of you so eager to bash him (I am still not sure why) let me assure you of a few other truths: Paul Nelson is a really good man. He is the kind of runner who cheers on the slowest amongst us and hangs back with us to encourage us should we need it. He is the first to admit his weaknesses, and he works hard to improve upon them. He's the kind of runner who, post Super Storm Sandy, packed supplies onto his back and ran them to needy families in the far reaches of our fine borough. But, perhaps most importantly, Paul Nelson is the kind of person who, had he been there, would have run TOWARD the chaos to help others. Paul Nelson is the kind of runner I would have wanted by my side at that finish line because whatever kind of day he may have had on a marathon course, it does not change the kind of man that he is-- a good one. Truth. Now, why don't we direct all our anger at the person(s) responsible for this horrific act rather than at someone who shares, perhaps better than we can know, in our horror.
April 18, 2013, 4:01 pm
Kristen from Brooklyn says:

April 18, 2013, 4:01 pm
Stacy says:
Hmmmm does this show concern, no, looks like bragging to me. "It was the second time Nelson — who has completed a marathon on every continent including Antarctica — had run the Boston Marathon, but he says it certainly won’t be the last." He had to supply that information. This story doesnt look simple to me, looks like bragging rights. And glad he will run again, that will be comforting to those who will never stand again, walk again or run again because of the horrific day at the marathon, but go get them Paul! I guess Paul got his friends together to further boast his ego. So sad that people cant get over themselves. God bless Boston!
April 18, 2013, 4:19 pm
Jackie from Brooklyn says:
First off, learn to read. If you are able to read and understand what you just read; you would not have any negative words for Paul Nelson. He was and should have been enjoying his day in Boston and happy about his time in the race that day. When he got word of what was happening his first instinct was for his wife Cassie. I read an article about someone who ran the Boston marathon, worried for his wife and who doesn't want an act of terrorism stop him from returning to Boston to run again.
April 18, 2013, 4:44 pm
Paul from Runner in Marathon says:
I am reading the negative comments and I am getting angry.

I told this writer to publish this story. I actually wrote most of it! And that is because I am the greatest runner to ever live.

I need a statue of myself in gold placed in Brooklyn so people can worship my greatness.

Kristen is right, I do more for the running community then anyone! How dare anyone try and harm my greatness. I am a running celebrity.

If anyone wants my autograph just send me a note here and Ill get it to you
April 18, 2013, 4:49 pm
ty from pps says:
"It was the second time Nelson... had run the Boston Marathon, but he says it certainly won’t be the last."

Umm... that is not bragging. That is the message of resilience and fortitude that EVERYONE is expressing in the face of such cowardly acts. Getting back on the horse and saying we are not defeated by terror.

Did any of your watch the news? When they interviewed the dozens of runners that said basically the same thing, was you reaction "Oh, look at these braggers! How disgusting!"
April 18, 2013, 4:52 pm
Mike D from BK says:
It is so obvious Paul had them write this article, because there is no way it would of been written otherwise so stop defending him.

Total narcissism
April 18, 2013, 4:54 pm
Elvis from Nawcostella says:
It's just a cheap article. Shouldn't have been published. In the very least there shouldn't be a photo of him standing there by the sign smiling away.
April 18, 2013, 5 pm
J from B'klyn says:
The negative comments are very confusing. All this vitriol over what some are mistakenly referring to as “Bragging?” The article only makes mention of Paul’s race time in the beginning, followed immediately by his experience of finding out about the attacks and the worry he had for his wife. The writer of the article was simply setting the scene, showing how what was a positive day quickly turned into something much worse. All around downtown Boston on Monday there were similar stories, from people like Paul who were fortunate to have just been caught up in some uncertainty for a short time, to people whose happy day suddenly turned into the day that changed their life forever. I just read a story this morning about a woman who lost both of her legs. She was there to see her sister complete her first marathon, and when they reunited at the hospital she told her how she really wanted to see her finish that race, and that maybe next year they will run it together despite what has happened to her. The only quotes attributed to Paul regarding the time after the explosions, refer to his worry about his wife and how the streets were closed off, followed at the end by him asserting he won’t let this prevent him from coming back to Boston in the future to run this race, and how he feels utter grief for the dead, injured, and their families. How is that bragging? Are any of the negative commenters Yankees’ fans? A few weeks after 9/11, when the Yankees played in the post-season, did you think that was disrespectful? Did you chastise them for playing a game and then giving interviews afterward about their performances, while so many people had recently had their lives torn apart? This article makes no mention about Paul’s race & time after the explosions occurred, because Paul was no longer concerned about it at that point in time. I must admit, I know Paul Nelson. Yes, he loves running, and like any Marathoner, he takes pride in his finishing time. I am sure he was thinking about that when he finished on Monday, but when I saw him yesterday for the first time since before Monday’s events, he wasn’t talking to me about his race. His thoughts were on the tragedy that took place. His own personal experience on the race course certainly wasn’t at the forefront of his mind. Paul is just genuinely a good person who tries to help others. After Hurricane Sandy, he used his running hobby to run with a group out to Broad Channel to deliver supplies they carried on their backs and volunteer in that affected community. The bottom line is, on Monday, like everyone else in and around the Marathon course that day, Paul was enjoying himself, until some lunatic(s) destroyed that day. To get mad at someone and criticize them for enjoying themselves before this horrific act took place, is idiotic.
April 18, 2013, 6:07 pm
Jimmy from PH says:
Thank you J, Jackie, Ty, Kristen and Mis.

I don't understand these odd comments. This guy is a well-known person in Brooklyn. I don't know him, but I know folks who are part of the big runner's community in Brooklyn. How this reads as bragging, I am really at a loss.

My thoughts are with the victims and everyone that had to experience such an awesome day in Boston, a day of celebration, turned into tragedy.
April 18, 2013, 6:35 pm
Erwin from Bay Ridge says:
I want to believe all the people expressing outrage at Paul Nelson actually care about the tragedy in Boston, but I don't.

All of you self righteous morons can't surpass your own impotent outrage at anyone achieving anything. Paul didn't hire a public relations firm to write this story, a reporter approached him, asked him questions and he answered them.

You idiots are probably the same people that were so outraged by sandy that you were going to help the relief effort by throwing batteries at runners.

For God's sake, show some respect to the victims of this terrorist act by not trolling random people in articles about the event.
April 18, 2013, 7:37 pm
Anti Narcissist says:
The name of the article says it all people, ahem, friends of Paul especially "Triumph..." For Brooklyn runner! Not "Tragedy". Clearly King Paul suffered no tragedy except not getting his picture on the front of every newspaper for his Triumph of a personal racing record. Enough said, enough wasting time for a narcissist. God bless Boston.
April 18, 2013, 9:06 pm
Barb from Prospect Heights says:
Usually the commenters trash the writers. So nice to see some of you decided to spread your bile to the subject of the article.
April 18, 2013, 10:58 pm
Michael Ring from Park Slope says:
If you want to know more about Paul or do something helpful........

April 22, 2013, 7:36 am
Elvis from Nawcostella says:
My comments stand. The runner was never the issue for me. So screwya
April 22, 2013, 2:11 pm
Michael Ring from Park Slope says:
Elvis
This is The Brooklyn Paper, the free edition of the New York Post. What do you want.
April 22, 2013, 3:56 pm
Here we go again! says:
Hmmm more pics of King Paul I see for the aid boston article... its all about him. If you want to do something nice then do it without your picture! Do it from your heart with no recognition. Funny but there is no picture of the one organizing the run, only King Paul (and his wife) And oh yeah, there is the mention of his time again! lmao ME ME ME Its all about me!
April 23, 2013, 6:55 am
Generous says:
I agree with "Here we go again" I know a lot of people who have done good for people, and not once did I see their picture in the paper. They do it without contacting all the local papers and submitting pictures of themselves. They do it from their hearts, the true meaning of giving. Wake up people, the negative comments are all from those who do not know the mighty King Paul, they are the honest comments, basing their comments on the article and not on what they know of the mighty King Paul!
April 23, 2013, 7:01 am
R. Brooke from South Slope says:
A non-story wasting space. So much in the world to concentate on and yet you write and publish this? Cheap irrelevent journalism. Shame on you!
May 11, 2013, 12:16 pm