Kelly wants to plan a corn field at Union and Bergen streets. Here’s what you need to know:
• The project, called “Maize Field,” is about our changing borough.
• She relied on old maps of Indian farming lands.
• She’s planting Lenape Blue Flour Corn, also known as “Sehsapsing.”
• It’s native to Oklahoma, having been brought there by a Lenape woman.
• She’ll also plant Lenape cutshort beans, which despite their name, grow six feet tall.
• She’ll also plant Seneca sunflowers, the only extant Native American sunflowers.
• The money for the piece comes from the Department of Transportation.