Embattled EMTs back at work; Rennix family outraged

Embattled EMTs back at work; Rennix family outraged

By Thomas Tracy

The family of the young East Flatbush woman who died at a downtown Brooklyn cafe were “upset” that the EMTs accused of doing nothing to help her were back on the job.

On Wednesday, EMTs Jason Green and Melisa Jackson were reporting for work and were seen leaving FDNY headquarters after a month-long suspension imposed upon them when news broke of their alleged inaction.

Officials said that the two — who are reportedly involved with each other — will be assigned to desk duty.

“I’m relieved I still have a job,” Green told reporters. “But this whole thing has been stressful. I’m just hanging in there.”

Eutisha Revee Rennix, 25, a resident of Schnectady Avenue East Flatbush, died on December 9 after falling ill at a MetroTech Au Bon Pain in downtown Brooklyn. Green and Jackson, who were in the eatery where the six-month pregnant Rennix collapsed, reportedly did nothing to help her.

The young mother died after being rushed to an area hospital. Her newborn child died a short time later and was buried next to her mother in Canarsie Cemetery.

Both bodies were exhumed earlier this month for a full autopsy, which revealed that Rennix died from an asthma attack — an end that Green and Jackson could have saved her from, alleged Rennix family attorney Scott Rynecki.

“Her death could have been avoided,” he said, claiming that Rennix’s family was upset that Green and Jackson “were permitted to return back to work.”

“We feel that once the investigation is completed by the Kings County District Attorney and once all the interviews are completed, a different version of events will appear other than what these two EMTs are putting out.”

Sources in the Kings County DA’s office said that investigators have interviewed several people who were at the restaurant when Rennix fell ill. Their findings had not been released.

While some have floated the idea that Green and Jackson could be charged with reckless endangerment, sources said that probably the most they could be charged with is official misconduct, since their mandate to respond is only outlined in FDNY regulations.

“There’s no state law about it,” the source said.