Older adults can discover a way to choosing an active life by participating in Active Aging Week, September 22-September 26, a health promotion event for adults over 55 years sponsored by the International Council on Active Aging and hosted by Millennium Development.
Millennium Development will hold special events for older adults during Active Aging Week 2008 throughout parts of southern Brooklyn, in various locations, including senior centers, and popular destinations such as the Kings Plaza Shopping Center, Marine Park, and others.
Older adults not only become educated about active aging, active living, but also obtain different skills and learn about volunteering. Many participants end up leading activities, groups, and helping out during several events.
The goal of Active Aging Week is to expose as many older adults as possible to the experience of living a fulfilled and active life through a broad array of activities in a safe, friendly and fun atmosphere.
Here’s a sample of some of the activities that will be held:
· Department of Transportation Senior Safety Walk, at Salt Marsh Nature Center, Avenue U and East 33rd Street, September 22 at 9 a.m.
· Belly Dancing, at Kings Plaza Shopping Center, 5100 Kings Plaza, September 23 at 10:30 a.m.
· Ballroom Dancing with John, at Kings Plaza Shopping Center, 5100 Kings Plaza, September 23 at 11:30 a.m.
· Tai Chi, at Kings Plaza Shopping Center, 5100 Kings Plaza, September 23 at 11:30 a.m.
· First Responder Course with Flatlands Volunteer Ambulance Corps., at John Malone Community Center, 2303 Bergen Avenue, September 24 at 10 a.m.
· Canoeing in Marine Park, at the Salt Marsh Nature Center, Avenue U and East 33rd Street, September 24 at 10 a.m.
· Outdoor Meditation & Yoga, at the Vandalia Senior Center, 47 Vandalia Avenue, September 24 at 10 a.m.
· You’ve Got Talent Showcase, at Midwood Senior Center, 4815 Avenue I, September 24 at 10 a.m.
· Wii Bowling Tournament, at the John Malone Community Center, 2303 Bergen Avenue, September 26 at 12:30 p.m.
Millennium has also partnered with several Brooklyn businesses in order to promote Active aging Week. As part of a collaborative effort, Curves has offered free all-day workout sessions in Marine Park and Bensonhurst, September 22-26.
Yes, you’re in the right place — Brooklyn Paper is the new online home of BrooklynDaily.com.
So bookmark this page, and remember check it throughout the day for the latest stories from your neighborhood — and across this great borough of ours.