Sections

Talk of new Reid plea deal abounds - Defendent’s lawyer denies claims

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Five months after being indicted for conspiracy to commit mail fraud and money laundering, the former chief of staff to City Councilmember Kendall Stewart may be trying to work out a plea deal.

As reported in the September 12th New York Daily News, a lawyer for Asquith Reid said during a recent court appearance that he did not intend to try the case revolving around Reid and another former Stewart staffer, Joycinth “Sue” Anderson, who were charged with embezzling $145,000 of $356,000 in city funds Stewart’s office earmarked to the Donna Reid Memorial Education Fund. The fund is named in memory of Reid’s deceased daughter.

“If he’s going to make a deal, especially at this juncture, he’s got to give them something they really want,” noted one attorney unconnected to the investigation, pointing out that there have been references in the past to unnamed “co-conspirators.”

However, attorney John Moscow – who represents Reid – would not confirm that a plea deal was being negotiated. “There’s no plea deal,” he told this paper. Asked if one was in the works, he said, “I don’t know.

“There’s a great deal less to this than meets the eye,” he added. “There’s really nothing there.”

Contacted for comment, Stewart said that he had been told that, “There’s an understanding that all the money was spent on CBOs (community based organizations) in the community, and they are trying to resolve it. It was that he didn’t have all the paperwork at the time of the indictment. Since then, I understand, they’ve gotten most of the paperwork, and he has produced more than enough information now to clear himself.”

Should Reid be cleared of all charges, Stewart said, he would take him back on staff. “He’s done great work in the community,” Stewart stressed. “I don’t think he would be someone who would embezzle funds or something like that.”

The original indictments were announced on April 16th by federal prosecutors and the city’s Department of Investigation (DOI).

Subsequently, federal prosecutors and DOI on June 24th announced a “superceding indictment” relating to two other CBOs, Community Opportunity and Resource Development (CORD) and Central Brooklyn Community Services (CBCS), both of which received discretionary councilmanic funding through Stewart’s office.

Reid and Anderson were also charged with two counts of witness tampering.

Stewart has repeatedly said he is not a target of the investigation.

If convicted of all the charges, Reid faces up to 80 years in prison.

Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Hey there, Brooklyn Daily reader!

Yes, you’re in the right place — Brooklyn Paper is the new online home of BrooklynDaily.com.

So bookmark this page, and remember check it throughout the day for the latest stories from your neighborhood — and across this great borough of ours.