Barbra Streisand plays Brooklyn in first-ever show in home borough

Don’t miss our updates:

Brooklyn’s native son opened the Barclays Center — and the borough’s favorite daughter made it feel like home.

Barbra Streisand made a triumphant return to the borough where she was born last night, waltzing through a crowd-pleasing mix of pop classics and show tunes in her first-ever show in Brooklyn.

There was schmaltz, glitz, and plenty of Brooklyn moxie as an older legion of fans filled the arena to see the Funny Girl, who became the second superstar to headline the new arena following rapper Jay-Z.

With guest stars including teen opera trio Il Volo, trumpeter Chris Botti, and Streisand’s son, the filmmaker and singer Jason Gould — plus the backing of a dynamic orchestra that handled the many style changes with aplomb — the eight-time Grammy Award-winner belted out tunes such as “The Way We Were” and a medley of “Rose’s Turn,” “Some People,” and “Everything’s Coming Up Roses.”

And the former Williamsburger and East Flatbusher proved she still knows her way around the borough with a rendition of “You’re The Top” rewritten to include plenty of Brooklyn references.

The 70-year-old icon made three costume changes — showing off a black sequined skirt, vest, and blazer; a black sequined cape emblazoned with Brooklyn on the front and “Streisand” and the number 24 on the back; and a red empress number.

And she wasn’t the only superstar in the house.

The Barclays Center was a feast of celebrity sightings, with stars like Regis Philbin, Sting, and Ralph Lauren checking out the concert.

Streisand will play a second show at the arena tonight.

Updated 5:36 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I find this concert of her at that arena to be nothing of a double standard. If she is really against eminent domain abuse like what was used to get the Keystone XL Pipeline, then where was she when this arena was in the process of being built? Just like the opponents of the Jets Stadium, which never got built, or even the new Yankee Stadium, which did get built, she was nowhere to be found on this. Perhaps, it was because she was given a good offer to preform there, so she couldn't protest it before it got built or she would lose her chance there. Either way, she hasn't been living in Brooklyn for a long time unlike some have for generations and still do now.
Oct. 12, 2012, 3:04 pm
No Babs Fan from Way Downtown says:
She turned her back on Brooklyn and has therefore given up her right to be called a native daughter.
Oct. 12, 2012, 3:30 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
tal - i always thought you made some decent points - now i have to change my mind
Oct. 12, 2012, 9:39 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
she did not turn her back on brooklyn she moved on - ala woody allen, carol king, jimmi smits, sonny foz, clara bow, may west, wolfmna jack et al. just like the beatles barley ever returned to liverpool.
Oct. 12, 2012, 9:41 pm
not moish from windsor says:
babs, we hardly knew ya.
Oct. 12, 2012, 10:02 pm
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
Tal - have you ever lived in Brooklyn?
Oct. 13, 2012, 12:32 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I have never lived in Brooklyn all my life Prospect Resident, but I know that both Streisand and Jay-Z haven't been living there for a while since being famous despite how much they claim they are still Brooklynites.
Oct. 13, 2012, 4:43 pm
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
Then, Tal, you should be the last person to talk about these issues, especially as you are making accusations that those who live in the borough/area know are false.
Oct. 13, 2012, 9:27 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Excuse me Prospect Heights Residents, just because I don't live in Brooklyn doesn't mean I don't get a say especially when we are talking about an arena that is being funded by the entire state of NY. Are you still forgetting that Ratner got the state to override the city zoning laws to help build it and even avoid ULURP altogether in favor of SEQRA? Since my taxes are going to this, I have every right to express my concerns. Unlike you, I have actually met with those who have either lived in what is now the footprint or near it, and many of them were opposed. The only ones who have supported it where those who either lived nowhere nearby or where paid by Ratner to support. As for Streisand and Jay-Z, neither of them have ever moved back to live in Brooklyn since being famous, and Ratner or any other members of his company reside in Brooklyn either despite promoting it so much.
Oct. 14, 2012, 10:24 am
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
You have no more right to an opinion on this topic than does a Barbra Streisand or Jay Z. Jay Z, like you, is a NY resident. The arena was legally built. Get over it, as your constant complaining and whining wont change a thing. But, really, my comment goes to the ridiculous and hysterical double standard that you have for people criticizing or supporting this project.

And, news flash, I live 2 blocks away from the project. I, as well as most of my neighbors and most of Brooklyn, support this project, and proudly so. We are seeing the positive change in the community as a result of the project and want it to continue. Statements like the one you made on meeting supporters/opponents of the project shows just how ignorant you are of what is going on and how people feel.
Oct. 14, 2012, 10:54 am
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
And, news flash, the residents on my block are not paid by Ratner ( although I'm sure we'd all love to learn how to go about making such an arrangement). Stop with your crazy talk on this subject. It is truly sad.
Oct. 14, 2012, 10:56 am
common sense from bay ridge says:
Don't worry yourself Tal, there will be a WNBA team at Barclay's eventually.
Oct. 14, 2012, 11:07 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Prospect Heights Resident, you and some of your neighbors are probably one of the few. I have met with many who lived in the surrounding area and got a different answer. I would like to know who you were with. Don't give me that claim just because the court ruled in Ratner's favor. Were we supposed to accept things such as state's rights, slavery, segregation, and other forms of shady dealings or discrimination because the courts said so, because in those days they were ruled legal as well. Also, I have been to numerous events over the years, and saw a lot of people opposing the project. For the record, I have met with Goldstien himself, so I have first hand knowledge of the project, but I take it you never have, but you are probably more afraid of him than he is afraid of you, which is why you will probably never meet with him in person. Also, Oder's blog is highly credited and tells the real story rather than your revisionist history does. At least I don't hide behind a computer screen like you do, so I am actually there.
Oct. 14, 2012, 8:40 pm
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
Shameful and offensive comparisons/analogies. The people affected under eminent domain here were paid above market rates to relocate. There is no offense as reprehensible as slavery and racism present here. Cut the crap. It's tired and sad.

I have no plans to meet Goldstein. Why would I? I understand the opposition, but simply disagree with them. Instead of wasting my time meeting with opponents (who likely are the same tired, small number of faces at each of these gatherings), I will be enjoying the benefits of the Barclays Center as a resident of Prospect Heights and of Brooklyn. At the end of the day, I am always here because I live in the neighborhood, unlike you. Contrary to what the misinformed would be led to believe from hysterical claims and attacks on the project from you and some others, neither the neighborhood nor borough is up in arms against this project. A few disgruntled residents from Park Slope and Fort Green (and Pleasantville) do not speak for the neighborhood. Trust me, y'all don't.
Oct. 14, 2012, 9:20 pm
Phil from Prospect Hts says:
Prospect Heights Resident, even though you say you don't work for Ratner or anyone associated with Barclays, you sure sound like a press agent. Maybe you should seek therapy for that.
Oct. 15, 2012, 11:35 am
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
For the record The Brooklyn Papers offices are located in an office building owned by Forest City RATNER.
Oct. 15, 2012, 12:28 pm
common sense from bay ridge says:
I don't think Barbra would appreciate all the meaningless things gaining attention in her comment section.

Focus people.
Oct. 15, 2012, 6:44 pm
common sense from bay ridge says:

Focus people.
Oct. 15, 2012, 6:44 pm
Someone who sees a better place from new york says:
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville what prompts you, a 29 yr old to complain about a venue, you'll will never experience?I bet Gil and Hagit would go. What's your problem, it's done get over the fact you lost that great apartment overlooking the train tracks, walking down trash riddled streets, with buildings in which the garbage was hidden within. I am blessed to finally see something being done in this neighborhood as Ienter and exit the Subway weekly.
Oct. 15, 2012, 7:16 pm
Someone who sees a better place from new york says:
BTW we loved Babs performance and we can't wait until 12/05 performance by Andrea Bocelli. Such talents now in Brooklyn, terrific.

Kinda like the way you feel now, looking out your bedroom window, at the Green grasses below overlooking the Golf Course. Does Mom still make those waffles you always liked when you were growing up?
Oct. 15, 2012, 7:36 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
tal is 29? - —— - nuff said - def living at home - omfg - pisher
Oct. 15, 2012, 8:51 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I would like to know who you really are, Someone who is probably a cyber stalker or I will IP you, and have the police go after you. The way you sound, you probably are one of Ratner's. Maybe you can tell me why Barbra isn't coming back to Brooklyn or even Jay-Z in that matter. As for common sense, don't expect the Liberty, which is NYC's WNBA franchise, to be coming to Barclays Center for a regular season, because they are still playing at the Prudential Center over in Newark for another season and then coming back to MSG after the renovations are done. However, I doubt that another WNBA team is coming to NYC anytime soon especially with the Sun, who plays in Ucansville, CT over at Mohegan Sun Arena, isn't that far away, so we don't need another team, though are many other places in this country that could use a WNBA team that don't have one right now.
Oct. 15, 2012, 10:29 pm
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
Phil,

What's the matter? Can't handle an opinion that represents how most in Brooklyn feel about the arena?
Oct. 16, 2012, 12:36 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Prospect Heights Resident, how about showing me evidence that much of the neighborhood really wanted that arena especially when I have been all over the area for the number of years this was fought and heard the exact opposite?
Oct. 16, 2012, 4:29 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
You people living in Brooklyn can't see the forest through the trees. Just b/c you live there doesn't mean you own a monopoly on the truth. I know how to read and how to google so I can get more information that isn't filtered through the self-serving streetsblogger-inspired perspectives, and then I apply my cold cartesian logic and nerdy leftist sympathies and fromt this I make my pronouncements, on the basis of careful reflection and not from some knee-jerk emotional tantrum just b/c somebody doesn't agree with me. Nobody predicted that Elizabeth the First would prevail over the spanish armada but Walter Raleigh provided the impetus that won the battle. Israel constantly beats the rest of the Arab world at their own game despite being smaller and without any friends except America. Jane Jacobs took on the Ratners and streetsbloggers of the world and saved highways for future generations of motorists to enjoy. The WNBA continues to thrive despite the slanderous remarks of Other Michael, Ty, and now you Mr. Prospect Heights Resident, and you are probably just an impostuer of Ty b/c you use the same M/O. Stop attacking me on the bases of my residence in Pleasantville, when I can use street view on google to get a clear picture of what is going on.
Oct. 17, 2012, 7:53 am
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
Tal,

First off, a majority of the neighborhood/borough was NEVER against the project if we are looking at the objective evidence in polling, the number of people signing onto the arena project, etc. Yes, there was a large and vocal group of residents who were against the arena, but these people hardly represented the voice of the neighborhood and borough.

But, at the end of the day, this argument means little in the face of CURRENT clear polling support for the project in the neighborhood and borough. The opponents, though they obstructed and delayed the process (as was their right) through litigation over the years, fought against the project. The opponents lost their battle. Get over it already!

Also, Tal, Ty and I certainly aren't the same person. I know that it pains you to see two people with our views on the arena project (and on reality), but a true walk through the neighborhood (and not just talking to the limited number of opponents) would have revealed to you that our views on the issue are not out of the norm.
Oct. 17, 2012, 8:52 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First of all, I wasn't hear at 8:53 AM this morning, and I know the possible suspects for that. Nevertheless, I still see your views to be biased. Let's not forget that FCR cronies are known are known to vote on these things online a lot, plus they are always given softball questions. For the record, I have walked through the neighborhood in the past as well as the surrounding neighborhoods, and I have seen plenty of opposition there. Over the years, I have seen more opposition there rather than support, and most of the supporters had connections with Ratner, though I am not saying that everyone was, but they were still pretty defensive whenever asked serious questions about. BTW, most polls aren't scientific, and some allow for voting multiple times especially when certain groups hear about them and tell their friends to all vote and become a majority. The real truth is that this is a project that was never supported at the city level if it had to only go through ULURP, which is why Ratner used the state and SEQRA to get past that after hearing much local city council members opposed it greatly. As for the opposition themselves, they are right now making Ratner accountable for everything he promised, which is the affordable housing and jobs he kept shouting for. The new SEIS hearings will be holding him for that, but knowing Ratner, he has friends in high places like the ESDC to help get around it no matter what.
Oct. 17, 2012, 2:40 pm
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
The supporters aren't exactly being vocal for the most part. The vocal people are the opponents, and they make up a relatively small part of the neighborhood/borough.

In terms of polls, I don't know any poll conducted on any respectful site that counts an a vote more than once from a single IP address. That glitch was fixed a long time ago. Even if you can "vote" more than once, any additional votes past the first are not counted. That's the norm now, not the other way around.

The reality is that the project was supported at the city level. Nothing you say is true in this regards. At the end of the day, most elected officials in the city were not opposed to the arena. The arena also got the necessary support of most state lawmakers. Again, you're short on the facts.

Also, and I've made this point clear before, you can't protest and delay a project for years, taking it through an economic downturn that hurt financing and the overall scale of the development, and then complain when not everything is accomplished. While the affordable housing will be there (albeit not in the same time frame as originally promised because the circumstances changed), the jobs will likely not all be there. Again, this is largely due to the fact that this is a smaller project than originally planned. But, in this economy, you opponents sound like spoiled brats trashing a company and development project that is providing many needed jobs as is.
Oct. 17, 2012, 9:24 pm
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
And Marty Markowitz doesn't count! I'm referring to neighborhood supporters not being very vocal. Why should they, though? They got their way, and have been getting their way for a long time. Nothing to be vocal about, unless you count the pride that they show for having such a project grace the community.
Oct. 17, 2012, 9:28 pm
Prospect Heights Resident from Prospect Heights says:
Oct. 17, 2012, 9:28 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I don't care for Barbra now that she is in cahoots with the ilk over at streetsblogger. Plus she made some less than charitable views about how Israel deals with Hamas. Most of all, I see her as a has-been without any real roots in Brooklyn, and she is just trying to cash in on her past fame. I am generally not in favor of anything that preempts the WNBA from the Barclays' center when the WNBA has loyal fans and barbra very few, and of that, most are fickle.
Oct. 19, 2012, 11:52 am

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: