Sections

New York Aquarium will only be partially open when it opens to the public in May

Aquarium officials: Our fish survived, our electronics didn’t

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Hurricane Sandy crippled the New York Aquarium when it crashed down on Coney Island, claim Wildlife Conservation Society members who say that only a portion of the popular marine exhibits will be open to the public this summer.

New York Aquarium officials say nearly all of the fish in their exhibits escaped the super storm unscathed — with the exception of a school of freshwater fish in an outdoor pond that was swept out to sea — but the facility itself has been treading water over the last month and a half.

Workers don’t believe that the closed 14-acre fishbowl — which is usually open year round — will be ship shape by the start of next year’s summer season.

“We are looking to be partially open by May,” said Aquarium director Jon Dohlin, adding that the seaside institution is still assessing damage and waiting for insurance and Federal Emergency Management Agency funds to come through. “A lot of things are still up in the air right now.”

Dohlin said Sandy literally left the aquarium under water, knocking out nearly all of its electronics, including back-up generators, transformers, and vital pumps and filtration systems necessary to keep the tanks clean.

“Everything you imagine being damaged, aside from the tanks themselves, was damaged,” said Dohlin, who explained that his team had to find inventive ways to change the water and control temperatures and oxygen levels.

Currently, electricity is coursing through three-quarters of the aquarium, which should be operating at full power by the end of 2012, said Dohlin, who’s happy that more than 90 percent of the aquarium’s marine life — including orphaned infant walrus Mitik, who came to Coney from Alaska in October after his rescue from the Arctic Ocean — didn’t have to be moved to other locales.

“All of our collection is in great health,” Dohlin said. “It’s truly amazing, and a testament to the hard work and dedication of our staff.”

Despite the damage the aquarium incurred, the city is still planning to go ahead with the $125 million shark tank addition Mayor Bloomberg announced earlier this year, Dohlin said.

Updated 5:37 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: