Sections

Councilman Mark Treyger says new registration, outreach needed for Build It Back program in Coney Island

Treyger calls for registration to re-open for Build it Back program

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Coney Island’s councilman wants to send the city’s post-Sandy rebuilding effort back to the drawing board.

Councilman Mark Treyger (D–Coney Island) says the city’s Build it Back recovery program left out People’s Playground residents, and called for the program to re-open its registration process, which closed in Oct. 2013 on the one-year anniversary of the storm.

The pol was shocked learning at a Feb. 18 hearing that only 876 Coney Islanders — out of thousands devastated during the disaster — had signed up for repairs and reimbursements from the program. The freshman councilman claimed the low-ball figure was proof the city did not do enough to inform his constituents about the resources available.

“When I saw that number, it just spoke volumes. The program did not do adequate outreach to the diverse communities of our city,” said Treyger, who chairs the Council’s Recovery and Resiliency Committee. “People need to know that their tax money is available for them to rebuild.”

Treyger called for the program to allow more people to apply, and do a comprehensive promotional campaign, complete with advertisements in local papers and seminars with community groups.

Representatives from Build it Back at the public hearing agreed with the councilman.

“We really should try to see if we can’t sign up more people,” said Build It Back deputy program director B.J. Jones.

The Bloomberg administration created Build it Back in order to obtain federal funding to rebuild Sandy-shattered areas up to new specifications, and the program signed up 20,000 afflicted renters and homeowners citywide during its year-long registration period. With more than $600 million in funding secured, Jones said that Build it Back plans to begin actual construction in July 2015.

Mayor DeBlasio’s office, which now oversees the plan, did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: