I carry a small memo pad in my pocket and when I am listening to a radio call-in show, eavesdropping on a conversation in the barber shop, or participating in a discussion in the lobby of my building, and I hear a comment that might be suitable for presentation in my column, I jot it down.
The following are just a few of the comments that I thought you might find interesting. Feel free to disagree. Just remember the words of President Reagan, President Obama, and a few other very important people who said, “You can disagree without being disagreeable.”
1) “Any president that will have Al Sharpton as an advisor in an idiot.” She didn’t really use the word ‘idiot’ but my editor, fine gentleman that he is, would never permit the printing of the word she did use. Besides, I’m not so sure how much of an advisor the reverend really is. He strikes me as one of those people that like to give himself a great big round of self-importance by hanging with the right people. Even though I am not a fan of our president I must admit that he is a very smart man and I’m not sure how much good advice he can possibly get from Mr. Sharpton.
2) “Scott Walker is antiunion and I will never vote for him.” That’s a good point, pal. It’s only my opinion, but I think that American unions would go bankrupt supporting any candidate that runs against him. But first, let’s see if he even gets the nomination.
3) “I am against the death penalty — what if you make a mistake and execute the wrong person?” Do you think the Boston Bomber is the wrong person? Everything in the trial points to accuracy. “Okay. Then let me ask you this: Do you just want revenge?” No. I want justice plus revenge. Why can’t I have both? I’m for a public hanging in Fenway Park. Charge ten bucks a head with all proceeds going to a victim’s relief fund. I know who will be disagreeing with me. No problem. Just hold back a bit and stop being so disagreeable. You are making a fool of yourself.
4) “Some of the best political minds of all time belong to women and I think it’s about time we elected a woman president.” Woman president? I prefer a competent president no matter what the gender, preferably one that leans a bit to the right. I’m not a fan of Socialism.
5) “So what if Obama is a Socialist. What’s wrong with Socialism?” Answer: “The trouble with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.” Without looking it up — who said it?
6) “Take down that Confederate Flag because … yada, yada yada.” I have no personal feelings either way. Take it down or leave it up. We all can make a case for both sides — but as a Jew, I can understand why there are those who want it removed.
7) “We do need more gun control. Take away the guns and there will be fewer murders.” Sure, but who are you going to take them away from … the good guys? Every time President Obama mentions gun control more guns are sold to the good guys. The big joke in the industry is that President Obama is the best gun salesman of all time.
I am StanG
Yes, you’re in the right place — Brooklyn Paper is the new online home of BrooklynDaily.com.
So bookmark this page, and remember check it throughout the day for the latest stories from your neighborhood — and across this great borough of ours.