Coney man may be locked up for life after murdering daughter on Father’s Day, judge rules

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

A Coney Island man could spend the rest of his days in prison after a judge sentenced him to 25 years to life behind bars for beating his daughter to death and assaulting her mother on Father’s Day last year.

The sentence is a worthy punishment for 20-year-old Shaquan Taylor, who murdered his 1-year-old daughter, Nylah Lewis, after being entrusted to care for her, according to Brooklyn’s top prosecutor.

“A helpless and innocent child was beaten to death, sadly, at the hands of the person responsible for nurturing and protecting her,” District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said. “With today’s sentence, he has been held accountable.”

Supreme Court Justice Vincent Del Giudice on Wednesday sentenced Taylor to 20 years to life in prison for second-degree murder, five years for second-degree assault, and one and a half to three years for aggravated harassment, after a jury convicted him of the charges last month.

The murder occurred on June 18, 2017, when Taylor texted Nylah’s mother, Tammy Lewis, around 2:30 pm, and told her that Nylah was having trouble breathing at his West 32nd Street apartment, according to prosecutors.

And when Lewis arrived at the apartment, she found the baby unconscious on the couch — with bruising, swelling, and lacerations on her face — and promptly fled with Nylah to call 911, prosecutors said.

But Taylor followed Lewis to the lobby and began beating her in the neck and face while she was still holding the baby, according to the district attorney, who said that Taylor then grabbed Nylah, handed her to a passerby, and continued beating Lewis before fleeing on foot.

Police found Taylor soon afterwards hiding in the bushes in a lot near his building, prosecutors said.

Nylah was rushed to Coney Island Hospital — suffering a fractured skull, loss of oxygen to the brain, and bruising all over her body — before being transferred to Maimonides Medical Center, where she spent five days in a coma before she died of her injuries on June 23.

Reach reporter Julianne McShane at (718) 260–2523 or by e-mail at Follow her on Twitter @juliannemcshane.
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: