Bomb-wielding bank robber strikes on Montague

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

A bank robber got away with nearly $3,000, but things could have been a lot worse during the March 9 heist.

The masked man told bank workers that he had a bomb when he held up the Montague Street branch at 1:40 pm, police said.

The thief wandered into the branch, near Clinton Street, and headed straight for a teller. He handed her a note and, when she hesitated, he reiterated his demand for cash and threatened to blow the bank sky-high with the device hidden in a metal box at his side.

After reconsidering the situation, the 38-year-old teller passed over $2,559, and the man fled with the cash.

Hell withdrawal

A pair of thieves armed with a gun forced a woman to withdraw $9,000 from a Flatbush Avenue bank, kidnapped her briefly and stole her jewelry — all before lunch on March 11, police said.

The 59-year-old victim withdrew the big bankroll around 11 am from a bank branch near Tillary Street. Perhaps the sum attracted attention, because the gun-toting strangers were suddenly behind her, forcing her outside. Once on the street, the pair hustled her into a waiting car and pinned her by her wrists inside the blue sedan.

The thugs told the victim they were taking her to a second bank, on Seventh Avenue so she could make another withdrawal. But instead, the thieves stole her necklace and earrings, pocketed the cash she had withdrawn earlier, and dropped her off in the middle of Park Slope shortly before noon.

Bridge heist

A man was robbed by a pair of gun-toting thieves as he walked across the Manhattan Bridge on March 10, police said.

The 25-year-old was starting across the span, heading toward Manhattan, around 3:30 pm when two thugs, walking toward Brooklyn, stopped him and demanded he turn over his camera. When he hesitated, one of the robbers pulled out a handgun and racked the slide to load the weapon and emphasize his point.

“Don’t look, man,” the armed man told him.

The victim handed over his digital Canon and the thieves took off down the footpath, toward Jay Street.


A young woman suffered a brutal attack when she was robbed by a trio of women on Water Street on March 10, police said.

The thieves surrounded the 20-year-old victim as she neared Bridge Street, just after 4:30 pm. One smacked her in the face, another knocked her to the ground and the third brute beat her body.

The victim wasn’t seriously hurt, but the robbers ran off with her wallet, which held a Metrocard, bank card, other ID and $70, police said.

She described her attackers as black Hispanic women, all 5-foot-5 and about 130 pounds; one had red hair, another had long hair tied back in a pony-tail, and the third had dark hair.


Police arrested a man who tried to swipe a wallet from a customer at a Fulton Street burger franchise on March 1.

The 19-year-old victim was at the counter of the fast-food joint, near Smith Street, placing her dinner order just before 9 pm. When she took out her wallet and placed it on the counter, the suspect moved in and tried to shield the billfold from the victim’s view with his own body.

As she focused on her food, the thief snatched up her wallet and slipped it into his bag. The man bolted before the young woman realized she had been robbed.

But police later arrested the 34-year-old man as he tried to use one of the victim’s credit cards to buy a Metrocard at a nearby subway station about 90 minutes later.

Cabbie slugged

A trio of thieves targeted a car-service driver and escaped with a good chunk of his daily wages and the keys to his future earnings.

Trouble began when the three thugs, driving a 16-year-old Jeep Cherokee, pulled up alongside the 32-year-old victim on Flatbush Avenue and Gold Street — just a block from the 84th Precinct headquarters — shortly before 4 am on March 11.

They ordered him to pull over and, when the driver complied, the trio got out and walked up to the man’s car.

When they reached the widow, one robber pulled out a knife and snatched the victim’s car keys from the ignition. The second thug punched the driver in the face and swiped $100 he had tucked into the visor above his seat. The third brute smashed the passenger-side window before the trio raced back to the Jeep and sped away.

Phones to go

A sticky-fingered thief armed with a wire cutter managed to steal three cellphones from a Court Street store before the clerk realized what was going on, police said.

The robber wandered into the store, near Livingston Street, just before 7 pm. The 30-year-old clerk was busy elsewhere when he realized the man was taking apart a display. He yelled at the man to stop, but the thief grabbed the phone and ran off. When the clerk checked the display, he realized one Sidekick and two Nokia-brand mobiles were missing.

Updated 4:00 pm, November 10, 2010
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: