Sections

Walentas vs. Goliaths

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

They’re back…

The neighborhood activists who successfully opposed DUMBO real-estate kingpin David Walentas’s 2003 plan for a residential tower near the Brooklyn Bridge have stepped up again to attack his new proposal for the Dock Street site.

The DUMBO Neighborhood, Fulton Ferry Landing and Brooklyn Heights associations put out a joint statement on Wednesday that called Walentas’s latest design just as flawed as the proposal that the groups helped shoot down three years ago.

“The defects of this project are essentially the same as those that resulted in the failure of the previous project,” the groups said in the statement.

The $200-million, 400-unit development would rise 18 stories on Dock Street between Front and Water streets. Walentas — who told The Brooklyn Paper in June that he knew “not everyone” would like the plan — sweetened the deal with 80 below-market-rate units, retail space, and a 300-student middle school, an amenity that the DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights associations have called for in the past.

But Walentas’s Two Trees Management plan still doesn’t cut it: “We do need a middle school, but this need … should not be used to leverage an out-of-scale development,” Karen Johnson, president of the DUMBO group told The Brooklyn Paper.

Johnson and the other civic leaders take special issue with the impact the building, which would have an 18-story segment that could block views of the iconic Brooklyn Bridge.

“The site is positioned at a key transition zone between the five-story rowhouse scale of the Fulton Ferry Landing Historic District to the west … and the Brooklyn Bridge Anchorage to the south,” the statement said. “The view of this entire span must be protected.”

The statement comes a few days after Councilman David Yassky (D–Brooklyn Heights) came against the scale of the project, calling it “gigantic.”

Walentas told reporters this week that the reappearance of his old foes wouldn’t stop him from continuing to seek support from the city on his plan.

Updated 4:32 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Sonia Collins from Brooklyn Heights says:
Please - no more monstrous luxury apartment buildings blocking the view from the bridge or of the bridge. Isn't the view part of Historic Landmark status?

Please tell politicians they will lose your vote if they do not oppose this mistake that can never be undone.
Jan. 17, 2008, 12:01 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: