Video store owner lucky to be alive

for The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

An enraged customer locked the owner of an Atlantic Avenue video store in a closet then emptied his handgun into it — but thankfully, the proprietor store survived the Dec. 8 rampage.

The villain entered the store, which is near Waverly Avenue, at around midnight, grabbed the 55-year-old owner and stuffed him into a storage closet, apparently without saying a word.

The perp then pulled out a handgun and fired five shots through the closet door. Only the victim’s good luck saved him from death — all four rounds that hit him missed vital organs, cops said. He was struck in his right shoulder, arm, and side.

After he escaped, he called the police and was taken to Kings County Hospital.

The victim told police that he did not recognize the man, who did not steal anything from the store.

Plates taken

A man who had just finished the difficult bureaucratic process of getting new license plates had them snatched from his arms moments after leaving the Department of Motor Vehicles office on Fort Green Place on Dec. 3.

The 26-year-old had put the two plates in a shopping bag at around 4:30 pm, and was just leaving the government agency near Atlantic Avenue when a man ran from behind him and grabbed the bag.

Hard knocks

A 16-year-old student at Brooklyn Technical HS was beaten by three older guys, yet managed to avoid having any property taken from him on Dec. 4.

School had just ended and the teen was walking down Fort Greene Place near DeKalb Avenue at around 3:30 pm when the perps attacked him without warning.

They hit him in the back of the head, knocking off his glasses, and demanded his cellphone. But the victim refused to give it up, even after his assailants continued to rain blows on his battered and bruised face.

Eventually, the thugs simply ran off empty-handed, leaving the kid on the ground.

Laptop larceny

A laptop left unattended at a construction site on the corner of Flatbush Avenue and Fleet Street was stolen on Dec. 4 by a perp who somehow kept his face concealed from the cameras.

The employee who used the laptop, which is owned by his company, left it on his desk in the construction trailer that morning and came back at 2 pm to discover the Dell computer had disappeared.

Child’s play

A boy who was playing a cellphone game on the G train had his high-tech plaything snatched from his grasp by a rowdy teenager on Dec. 5.

The Queens-bound train stopped at Fulton Street at around 7 pm, when a large group of loud teenagers got on. They evidently took note of the kid playing with the T-Mobile Sidekick, and one of them, a girl, grabbed the phone from his hands as the train approached the Clinton-Washington stop.

She got off and fled.

Rear window

A woman left her car unattended for less than 10 minutes on Dec. 7 came back to find that a thief had shattered the back window and made off with her purse.

The 39-year-old parked the white 2006 Toyota Camry at the corner of Cumberland Street and Lafayette Avenue around 10:30 pm. She got back to her parking spot only a few minutes later, but someone had broken the window, stolen her purse, and run out of sight.

The purse contained numerous credit cards, a driver’s license, $43, and a pair of earrings, cops said.

Shot in the dark

A young man coming out of a Washington Avenue club early on Dec. 9 was struck in the posterior by a bullet from an unknown gun.

The 22-year-old had finished a night of partying at the club, near Flushing Avenue, and was walking to his car around 4 am. He had walked less than a block when he heard a gunshot and froze, not sure where the shot had come from. He discovered a few seconds later that regardless of where the shot had come from, it had ended up lodged in his left buttock.

He called his friends, who drove him to Interfaith Hospital. There is no word on who fired the shot, or even if the shot was aimed at him.

Class warfare

A 15-year-old walking home from school was mugged by a pair of classmates on Dec. 7.

The victim was walking down DeKalb Avenue near Flatbush Avenue Extension when the duo approached him. One boy punched him in the face, and the other grabbed his cellphone from his hand.

The boy went to nearby Brooklyn Hospital, where a doctor looked at the bruises on his face.

Updated 4:00 pm, November 10, 2010
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: