Sections

Hook vendors in the red; city rules, delays cause lo$$es

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like The Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

The beloved Latino food stalls of Red Hook Park will return to their traditional haunt this weekend — and the grand re-opening couldn’t come a moment too soon for vendors, who have racked up tens of thousands of dollars in debt to comply with tightened city regulations.

At least six of the 13 merchants who tend the stands that have sold an eclectic range of Pan-American edibles since 1974 will open on Saturday for the first time this year — almost three months later than normal.

The financial costs of purchasing and retrofitting carts, combined with half a season of lost sales, have sent many vendors deep into the red. In fact, three food vendors have said they won’t bother to return.

“The losses are major,” said Marcos Lainez, who operates a Salvadoran papusa cart. “It’s going to take at least two and a half years to recover all the money we have lost.”

Lainez shelled out $35,000 to get a legal stand and upgrade it, and is rushing to get last-minute repairs made so he can pass a city inspection to start selling the bean–and–cheese filled tortillas this weekend.

The burden for other vendors is even heavier.

Pamela Martinez told The Brooklyn Paper that her father spent $45,000–$50,000 to ready his cart for Mexican treats like tacos and huaraches.

“We’re out three months of work,” Martinez said.

Part of the delay for several of the vendors came from a Queens repairman who took many weeks longer than promised to overhaul their mobile units and bring them up to the newly tightened city requirements.

The city’s stricter supervision of the vendors was also at the root of the problem. Last June, the Parks Department decided to stop issuing annual permits to the vendors and forced them to go through an open bidding process, despite having served their jugos, tacos and ceviches for adoring crowds (including Sen. Charles “Chimichanga Chuck” Schumer) for decades with little oversight from the city.

The Parks Department decision led to stepped-up Health Department inspections of the site, which found violations in the food stands. The Health Department was on the verge of shutting down the market, but backed off when public outrage — led by Schumer and other outraged foodies — reached a fevered pitch.

Finally, in March, the vendors were told they had won the right to return to the park, but their return had been tied up in bureaucracy since then.

Red Hook food vendors, Saturday and Sunday at Red Hook Park (Bay Street between Clinton and Henry streets in Red Hook), 10 am–7 pm.

Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like The Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Reader Feedback

ThePlaylist from Carroll Gardens says:
You're missing a word in the first graph between announced and will, I assume you forgot, "they."
July 15, 2008, 12:12 pm
curious from Boerum Hill says:
$35-$50k to upgrade a mobile stovetop?!?!? is that for real?
July 15, 2008, 3:06 pm
Mark Giles from Kensington says:
There's something missing from this story: the people who enjoy the wonderful Soccer Field Experience giving something back to the vendors who are facing ruinous debt to keep this much-loved tradition going.

Anybody got any ideas? Compile a mailing list? Set up a donations table?
July 15, 2008, 4:59 pm
ajay from nj suburbia says:
I would just frequent them often. No need for donations, if we just support them.
July 17, 2008, 11:12 am
Denise from Flatbush says:
I am middle aged and disabled, but I will get there to Red Hook Park every weekend for the rest of the summer to lend my support to these vendors. The City of New York did not want them there in the first place and I believe did everything possible to make life very difficult for these vendors. So it's up to us Native New Yorkers and otherwise who enjoy these vendors to support them. They help make Brooklyn special so let's give back.
July 17, 2008, 3:27 pm
meri puccio from xbushwickite says:
it doesn't surprise me that once the "bureaucrats" get involved it gets complicated. i am a food handler/vendor, don't get me wrong, i'm all for sanitation and proper handling of what people put into their bodies.

the real crime against the public is perpetrated by agri-business the real criminals of the food world. they've sucked all of the life out of our food, leaving it as a "manufactured product". they've robbed us of the gift of food prepared lovelingly by one human being for another. this is the real crime being committed against us.

at least these food preparers are keeping their
traditions alive so that people can actually experience authentic food rather than "factory" food which is really just a scientifically concocted facsimile thereof.

i congratulate chuck schumer for being a man of
the people and standing up for the vendors of red hook.
July 21, 2008, 12:51 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!