It’s a Tish-grace! Councilwoman James sues over scratch

Community Newspaper Group

Don’t miss our updates:

Councilwoman Letitia James has filed a personal injury suit against an itinerant laborer after she allegedly injured herself walking into his legally parked truck.

The Democratic lawmaker, who makes $122,500 a year as the people’s representative in Fort Greene and Clinton Hill, is seeking an unspecified amount of damages for wounds she claims to have sustained on July 11 when she walked into a four-inch trailer hitch protruding from David Day’s parked car.

James sustained “serious, severe and permanent [injuries] to her limbs and body” and “she will be caused to suffer … continuous pain and inconvenie­nce,” according to court papers filed last month in Brooklyn Supreme Court by James’s attorney Robert Mijuca of the powerful law firm of Rubenstein and Rynecki.

The court documents also allege that the injuries caused James to be unable to attend to her usual occupation — though the alleged pain and suffering occurred on the eve of the councilwoman’s re-election campaign, one that she waged with her typical vigor against two primary rivals.

She bounced to an easy victory. Additionally, several of James’s Council colleagues told this newspaper that they did not recall James limping or using crutches during the summer.

But court papers paint a very different scenario of the events of July 11 on Fulton Street between S. Portland Avenue and S. Oxford Street.

The lawsuit claims that James “came into contact with the exposed, unprotected hitch,” contact that led to “great physical and mental pain” — though the actual body part that was damaged is not cited.

James claims that Day’s hitch is illegal and that her injuries resulted “solely [from] the careless and negligent manner in which [he] owned and maintained his motor vehicle.”

But Day says that the hitch is legal. He said he was loading recyclables into his car from the curbside when James parked closely behind him. She bumped into the hitch when walking between the cars to the sidewalk, he said.

She had a scratch on her shin, Day recalled, and he didn’t think much of it until receiving notification that he was being sued. Since then, he’s waged a one-man crusade to ward off the councilwoman’s suit.

“Please don’t go forward with it,” he wrote to James in February. “You are famous and powerful while I’m a nobody without means who’s done you no harm. Pursuing this course to court can bring only ruin all around.”

He also pointed out that he makes roughly one-tenth of James’s salary, meaning that the lawmaker would likely not get much in a settlement.

As such, James shouldn’t bank on a cash bonanza similar to the one that Borough President Markowitz received in 2003, two years after the notorious slip and fall in an ice-slicked Albany parking lot that resulted in an ankle broken in three places. Markowitz was on crutches for weeks.

On Wednesday, James responded to news coverage of her lawsuit, maintaining that she is fighting the case against the Everyman laborer on behalf of … everyman.

“It’s a public safety issue,” said James. “My car was parked and his car was parked. His hitch was exposed. … This lawsuit could be ended today if he removed it.”

The councilwoman claims that she discussed this with Day, but he refused to remove the hitch. Day claims that he got the hitch from a U-Haul dealership, and that it is legal.

Legal or not, James retorted that the hitch was “rusty” and caused a seven-inch scar on her leg.

The larger irony of James’s suit, of course, is that the councilwoman, not Day, may be the person who broke traffic regulations.

Walking between two parked cars could be jaywalking.

Updated 5:17 pm, July 9, 2018: Story was updated to include a comment from the councilwoman.

Don’t miss our updates:

Tainisha from Bed-Stuy says:
Look if he didn't want to get sued he shouldn't have parked his truck on the street. We have underground truck holding hangers all over downtown brooklyn for this very purpose. To leave a truck - and one not outfitted with rubber walking pads at that - on a public street is beyond negligent. What if a child had been exposed to this? Then on top of negligence it would be corruption of a minor and child re-dangerment. He should consider himself lucky.
March 17, 2010, 7:11 am
freddy from slope says:
nice vaguely worded lawsuit verbiage.

---
---
oh my god... the mental pain... millions i say. cant wait for the loss of consortium on this one.

we should make james state publicly the circumstances of the accident and what led directly up to it. on the record. on film.

if the hurt is real, then great, but what kind of boob do you need to be to not look where you are walking?
March 17, 2010, 8:05 am
JudahSpechal from Bed_Stuy says:
Not surprise by her actions. Here's why auto insurance is so fr**king high in NYC. I guess that Atlantic Yard protest didn't work out for her. She didn't get any $$$ under the table, given her long opposition. So everyone in her District better be aware
March 17, 2010, 9:07 am
al pankin from downtown says:
she is right...people who own these vehicles should remove the trailer hitch when they are parked, they usually back into another vehicles front bumper or grill and could care less as long as it's not their property getting damaged. good for her, I hope she wins.
March 17, 2010, 9:32 am
Karen from Fort Greene says:
Actually - the injury was severe - a deep would on the front of her leg that took a few months to heal completely. Just letting you know.
March 17, 2010, 10:53 am
Bob from here says:
I don't know what is worse, the idiot who is suing a man because she bumped her shin or the idiots here who agree with her. She is just looking for some easy money. The people who agree with her are part of the problem with NYC.
March 17, 2010, 10:56 am
Trevor from Clinton Hill says:
Does that mean if we all accidentally bang into at her Hanson Pl. office front, we get to sue her? That building looks mighty solid. The good councilwoman has been quite negligent - she hasn't padded her storefront whatsoever!
March 17, 2010, 11 am
Dan from downtown says:
@al pankin

Obvious troll is obvious
March 17, 2010, 11:16 am
A from Clinton Hill says:
Saying the suit is about money is kind of missing the entire point, isn't it?
March 17, 2010, 11:23 am
kevin from Clinton Hill says:
typical democrat, i wonder if he had a union sticker on his trailor hitch she could have seen it better.
March 17, 2010, 11:47 am
derpderp from downtown says:
not the drivers fault she doesn't watch where she's going. kevin's an idiot.
March 17, 2010, 11:55 am
Seriously?! says:
This is one of the most frivolous lawsuits I have read about. Letitia James get a life!
March 17, 2010, 12:13 pm
Winston Smith says:
How dare this peasant even park anywhere near the same block as this woman. Doesn't he know who she is!?!?!?
March 17, 2010, 12:32 pm
Brett from Bed-Stuy says:
Tainisha - Go shill somewhere else. Your boss is a crook who's out to sue the little guy in our community.
March 17, 2010, 1:07 pm
Averad from Brooklyn says:
Thank you Mrs. James for wasting public time and funds on your own inability to
watch where you walk. The hitch is completly legal and there are no regualtions in your city to say otherwise.

The fact you are responding to e-mails about this issue while you are
at work proves that public funds are being spent on your frivilious
lawsuit. How many of your staff are answering phone calls about this
and how many interviews have you given to the press?

Please take some time to read the comments about what people think about you at:
March 17, 2010, 3:17 pm
Mike from Maspeth says:
So now Witless is writing for the Brooklyn Paper as well? And carrying his vendettas with him. You'd think this was an election year or something and that somebody (or somebody's boss) had an axe to grind against the most outspoken opponent to Atlantic Yards.
Way to go, Gersh! This paper's soooo much better than it has ever, ever been!
March 17, 2010, 5:14 pm
B. from NY says:
Brett, have you ever even been in the underground truck holding hangars? If we're not going to use them, why even HAVE a giant network of underground parking hangars under downtown Brooklyn?

I was in the swimming pool on my school's roof the other day, talking to my friend Snuffleupagus about this very issue, and he agreed -- all trucks should be either parked in the caverns under the city or outfitted with rubber walking pads. I really can't understand your disagreement.
March 17, 2010, 5:25 pm
E from Manhattan says:
This woman is disgusting. She clearly does not have the mental fortitude to serve others. She defines exactly what is wrong with politicians and the legal system today. There is no accountability. Does she not know how to walk between two objects? I would think it is someone's own responsibility to gauge whether or not they might trip over something or hit a limb against something as they move. I hope there are lawyers out there who can counter-sue. She is causing this day laborer much strife and stress. He should sue for this. As she did not receive stitches, the "gash" could not have been very severe. Are you telling me any ER doctor is going to say, ok, your leg is cut wide open, but it's ok if you don't get stitches, it is up to you. She sickens me and I sincerely hope she loses her position, b/c this should be brought up next time she runs. She clearly has no concept about the people she is supposed to serve. Good job serving justice you inane waste of air.
March 17, 2010, 5:39 pm
Averad from The World says:
*From: Averad
To: James, Letitia; Dilan, Erik; Eugene, Mathieu; Vann, Albert; Recchia,
Domenic; Lander, CM; Gentile, Vincent; Quinn, Christine
Sent: Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Subject: A Shame to Our Nation - Brooklyn District #35

Mrs. James,

Thank you for wasting public time and funds on your own inability to
watch where you walk. If you feel the hitch is illegal, call the
police who can investigate and issue a citation.

Take some of your effort and put it into talking to your consituants
about healthcare, or dealing with poverty.

Please take some time to read the comments about you at:

I am forwarding this information to Charles E. Shumer as well as other
state officals and National representatives.

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM, James, Letitia wrote:

I asked david to remove hitch and he refused. No Public funds are involved
and I continue to be a champion of all of the things you cite. You have
never joined me on any cause or issue relating to health care, poverty,
etc.. This issue is about public safety and case will be dismissed when he
removes hitch.

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM, James, Letitia wrote:

I am having press conferenxe on the closure of day care centers. Join me. I
am also having town hall on ending the war,  join me. Last week, we had town
hall on health care - did you attend?

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM, James, Letitia wrote:

PS: This is not covered by any regulation.  There is not citable.

*From: Averad
To: James, Letitia; Dilan, Erik; Eugene, Mathieu; Vann, Albert; Recchia,
Domenic; Lander, CM; Gentile, Vincent; Quinn, Christine
Sent: Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: A Shame to Our Nation - Brooklyn District #35

Mrs. James,

The fact you are responding to e-mails about this issue while you are
at work proves that public funds are being spent on your frivilious
lawsuit. How many of your staff are answering phone calls about this
and how many interviews have you given to the press?

In your e-mail you state, "You have never joined me on any cause or
issue relating to health care, poverty, etc..". How do you know 1) Who
I am or 2) What I have or have not supported in the past? If you do
know the answers you must have spent some of the tax payers money
(your paid hours of work and resources) to research the people who are
e-mailing you.

I am forwarding this information to Charles E. Shumer as well as other
state officals and National representatives.

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM, James, Letitia wrote:

Have you ever heard of multi tasking? And it is rather unfortunate that you
are so use to politicians not responding to your tirades, that you would be
surprised by my immediate response to your baseless claims. I can handle the
people's business and still shut you down. Get the facts, remove the hitch
and get a life.

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM, James, Letitia wrote:

Yes, and you care nothing about poverty, world peace or health care which
is why you have so much time on your hand to email. .

*From: Averad
To: James, Letitia; Dilan, Erik; Eugene, Mathieu; Vann, Albert; Recchia,
Domenic; Lander, CM; Gentile, Vincent; Quinn, Christine
Sent: Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: A Shame to Our Nation - Brooklyn District #35

Mrs. James,

Again your responce makes the assumtion that you actually know
something about me. How can you say that I care nothing about poverty,
world peace or health care? Do you have such a nice view from your
office that you can just tell everything about someone when they
e-mail you?

Here I'll share some information with you;

I am 26 and I have been married to my high school sweet heart for 6
years. We have a daughter who is 3 months old and she is the joy of my
life. From middle school to high school I spent part of my day as a
student teacher and student counselor helping numerous peers graduate
and get through though times.

I have worked for the past 9 years in Healthcare working with
Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare and Private coverage. I helped implement
Medicare Part D and spent months meeting with confused Medicare
eligibles explaining why the Government provides a donut hole.
Throughout my career I have worked to reduce administrative costs
carried by Insurers, reduce premium payments for members and provide
adiquate reimburement to providers.

In my free time I give back to my community by visiting the elderly,
bring there food, there mail and working with there caseworkers to
make sure they are not lost in shuffle. I build houses with habitat
for humanity with my wife, who provides free engineering to make the
projects more affordable. I yearly work with our local food bank and
buisnesses to collect $10,000 - $15,000 worth of canned food (Not cash
that can be abused by the administration).

That beeing said, I think I have earned a few minutes out of my day
and personal time to e-mail a public representative to tell them they
are not representing the government adequitly. Does your district run
so well that you can spend a portion of your paid working day dealing
with your personal issues?

I am appaled that you would try to turn this e-mail exchange into a
direct attack against me, even though I am not the one friviously
brining litigation against someone who hasn't broken the law. You
clearly state that Mr. Day is not breaking any regulations however you
are taking it on yourself to make him change.

Have you forgot that you are a goverment representative that can help
pass laws that would make trailer hitches illegal? If this is such a
large issue that impacts you so much, why wouldn't you want to pass a
law that would protect the rest of us? I have a feeling that you know
the law would never pass and people would see it as a waste of time as
we are capable of not walking into a tailer hitch.

I hope the people I have been including see your actions for what they
are a waste of tax payer money and childish. I would be imbarased to
be a representative in a district near you, or a Senitor who
represents your state.

Anyone who is reading this please take some time to read the comments
about Mrs. James at:

I am forwarding this information to Charles E. Shumer as well as other
state officals and National representatives.

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM, James, Letitia wrote:

Not much time spent responding to nonsense.

*From: Averad
To: James, Letitia; Dilan, Erik; Eugene, Mathieu; Vann, Albert; Recchia,
Domenic; Lander, CM; Gentile, Vincent; Quinn, Christine
Sent: Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: A Shame to Our Nation - Brooklyn District #35

Mrs. James,

It must be quitting time for the day, you will have time tomorrow to
continue your nonsense.

From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:43 PM, James, Letitia wrote:

Quitting time, are you kidding?Nope. Two more meetings and a funeral and
you?  If you care about david, ask him as I did before he went to media to
remove the hitch.

*From: Averad
To: James, Letitia; Dilan, Erik; Eugene, Mathieu; Vann, Albert; Recchia,
Domenic; Lander, CM; Gentile, Vincent; Quinn, Christine
Sent: Wed Mar Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: A Shame to Our Nation - Brooklyn District #35

Mrs. James

Do you ever notice that you try and talk down to people to try and get
them in a submissive state?
I went to a military funeral yesterday for one of the elderly men that
I had the pleasure of helping. It's amazing to witness brothers in
arms carrying there fallen to their final resetting place. As the
three shots rang out and taps was played, we all lowered our heads. In
that moment of silence cried to myself for the loss that our county
has seen and the continued loss we must endure.

The rest of the day today is being spent figuring out how to continue
to provide Health services in a rural area. Most of the providers
refuse to take Medicare and Medicaid so we have to find ways to drive
members 2 to 4 hours to receive services. So I will be trending
spending trying to find innovative ways to reduce costs to provide
additional reimbursement.

After that I get to pickup food to deliver to the community and then I
get to go home to see my wife and child.

Has anyone figured out if you were jay walking or not when you walked
into the car?

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:13 PM, James, Letitia wrote:

At funeral. May god bless you and good night. I will pray on it.

*From: James, Letitia
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM, James, Letitia wrote:

And how can you make assumptions about me based on a dumb article in a
newspaper that I detest and have repeatedly criticized over the years..
March 17, 2010, 10:12 pm
t horris from Fort Greene says:
This is a disgusting lawsuit, and I hope this woman loses her job over it. Thank you, Brooklyn Paper, for exposing the initial layer of her lies with your small amount of investigating.
March 17, 2010, 10:52 pm
Jerky from Manhattan says:
A typical greedy lying politician. Let's see the medical report Mrs. Liar! A seven inch scar should still be easily visible, especially if, as you claim, you refused stitches. This story stinks. She should resign in disgrace and be investigated for filing frivolous claims.
March 17, 2010, 10:55 pm
J from Fort Greene says:
Terribly frivolous lawsuit.

But no way that email exchange is real, too phony, and the spelling, among other overthetop details, evidenced it, but a classic bit of post-modern writing.
March 18, 2010, 6:39 am
Brett from Bed-Stuy says:
If it's an issue of public safety, refer him to the police and see if they agree.

If it's a personal vendetta by a mentally incapable councilwoman, then file a suit against him and talk about "PERMANENT PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HARM OH GOD OH GOD".

Tish, you're a crook.
March 18, 2010, 8:10 am
daveinbedstuy from Bed Stuy says:
WOW, and i though Al Vann was a worthless POS.

Her true self comes out. What a scumbag.
March 18, 2010, 8:55 am
Steve from Park Slope says:
I thought the article was bad enough, but the comments from this bunch about one of the most respected Councilmembers are unbelievable, literally. Haven't seen this sort of stuff outside of campaign season ever. Smells like a smear and sour grapes from the PR firm of Bitter & Stupid.
March 18, 2010, 9:21 am
daveinbedstuy from Bed Stuy says:
Steve...you think she's in the right?? You think a "respected Councilmember" should stoop to something this low??

You have some ——ed up priorities.
March 18, 2010, 9:31 am
Steve from Park Slope says:
What I think is the "article" was an unprofessional, trying-to-be-sensational, biased hit piece that is so twisted it's totally unbelievable. I don't see the Councilwoman's side of the story and I don't believe this "reporter" made a sincere effort to get it. I don't think Tish did anything "low." But the reporter, he sure did.
And I find it really ----ed up that so many responses all sound alike and are jumping to attack this woman who won re-election with 91% of the vote.
March 18, 2010, 10:34 am
Machine from Greenpoint says:
Betcha she won't win the next one, Steve.
March 18, 2010, 12:22 pm
SmartenUp from Prospect Heights says:
Typical Steve "Witless...."

Now we have him in the Brooklyn Paper---used to be a worthwhile read, but not now

"Journalism???"
March 18, 2010, 12:42 pm
SIGHR from East WIlliamsburg says:
Steve, do you have anymore information on her side? Sway me. Please.
March 18, 2010, 1:51 pm
Ken from Park Slope says:
The attached picture is NOT what the trailer hitch looks like at all! For an accurate picture look at today's NY Daily News.
March 18, 2010, 2:22 pm
SteveFtGreene from Fort Greene says:
Was this the best the Brooklyn Paper could come up with regarding current events in my neighborhood?

I agree with the other responders who have a hard time seeing this story as a cheap, poorly-researched shot at my Councilwoman.

This matter is headed to court will it will be decided without the need to consult Steve Witt's take on things.

I wish that the Brooklyn Paper would show this much interest regarding issues affecting the public at large.
March 19, 2010, 7:19 am
ummm..no from wishiwerehere says:
(1) if her issue is that she wants the hitch removed, she should sponsor legislation that would make an unhooked hitch illegal. That would be in step with her desire to serve the public and the tenets of her profession.

(2) I call bs on pain and mental anguish. A 7" scar calls for stitches, a tetanus shot, gauze and some anti-inflam meds. She didn't get stitches, so it can't be that bad. Didn't mention anything else.

This guy will have to take time off ($$$), pay court costs/filing fees, and probably hire counsel. Is this really looking out for the little guy?

Really?
March 19, 2010, 10:16 am
Fuzzlenutter from N/A says:
No doubt this councilwoman is a Democrat!
March 19, 2010, 11:06 am
J.Frey from Park Slope visitor says:
'“The doctor said it was a deep laceration and he wanted to give me stitches, but I said no,” said the courageous councilwoman.'

How in the world is she 'courageous'? Wow, she's going after 'the man' - an everyday working guy who is collecting recyclables to help make ends meet? Mr. Witt, WHY DID YOU DESCRIBE HER AS COURAGEOUS? I've seen 7-yr. olds more courageous than this nitwit.
March 19, 2010, 12:08 pm
David from Iowa says:
Councilwoman whatever her name is the reason this country stinks so bad right now. Do we really need to idiot proof everything? I have heard cases like this where a man broke into a house by punching out a window and cut himself on the glass and sued the landowners for negligence. What a joke and a waste of time. And that laborer that she is suing works alot harder doing things so she can have a lush job and spend her time "setting examples" for things that no one else would want to happen. I have heard of monkeys having brighter ideas than the idea to sue for not watching where your walking. I hope and pray she loses and the people of brooklyn that voted her into office AGAIN realize how moronic having someone that likes to do such things in office is.
March 19, 2010, 3:54 pm
Mike from Maspeth says:
It's obvious this is an attempted smear job being pulled against one of the most popular politicians in New York City. Who thinks that pretending to be ignorant of the history of Tish James makes them look smart? And then who thinks that making snarky comments about her, after already saying you don't know who she is, makes you look any smarter? Whoever is pretending to be all these different haters (who all sound remarkably the same) doesn't seem to understand that the Brooklyn Paper could be asked to reveal the IP addresses of everyone writing in, and then what would we find, Mr. Witt?
March 19, 2010, 5:41 pm
Justin from Common Sense says:
I love that the people leaping to defend her use the same PR phrases. "One of the most popular politicians", "all her haters sound remarkably the same". Funny stuff.

By the way, James, sending your cronies to troll on the internet kind of defeats your claim that no public funds are being used.

And don't bother denying that these people are associated with you. It's the only possible explanation for anyone jumping to your defense over this.

"Wealthy, powerful women isn't watching where she is walking and gets cut. Sues nearest prole who sullies her regal gaze." Spin it anyway you like, the story remains the same.
March 19, 2010, 9:38 pm
Mike from Maspeth says:
Justin, you don't know a thing. NOT associated with Tish James, never have been. But I'm totally disgusted by this smear campaign Steve Witt has going on, and all the incredibly uninformed comments based on lousy reporting. People are defending Tish because they believe in her and have the experience to know what they're saying. You're condemning her based on this smear, and your "common sense" which tells you it has to be coordinated, and on the public dime? I guess it's true; common sense is rare, and not usually found in those claiming to have it.
March 20, 2010, 10:27 am
WT from Kensington says:
I wrote to Ms. James, and she told me she is dropping the charges.
March 20, 2010, 11:48 am
Justin from Common Sense says:
Mike:

Is she, or is she not, suing some poor working class guy (who violated no laws) because she wasn't watching where she is going and sustained a minor injury?

That's the only question here. If she is, it is completely indefensible. Therefore, you are a partisan shill.
March 20, 2010, 9:10 pm
Steve Ettlinger from Park Slope says:
What? Have YOU ever hit a hitch with your shin? It is an awful thing. Terrible. Hitches scare me because I have hit one. They should always be removed when not in use; most can be easily slipped in and out of a bracket that is installed under the bumper.

Your article seems more editorial than news. The mere mention of a lawsuit would be enough for us to draw our own conclusions. We don't need your disrespectful, snarky comments. Why not keep to the facts?
March 20, 2010, 9:16 pm
Joe from NYC says:
" I can handle the people's business and still shut you down"

"SHUT YOU DOWN"????

Businesses and FREE people trying to make an honest living are going to flee NYC because professional politicians are ruining everything; they will tax you and sue you until they can "SHUT YOU DOWN".

If you aren't on the dole / govt payroll and paying them back with your votes and some other guys' taxes (until he gets smart and leaves), you aren't worth anything to the James' of this world.

This is the kind of "social justice" fascists we have in our govt. This is what will turn NYC into "Jamestown" / Detroit.
March 21, 2010, 4:57 pm
Spanky from Crown Heights says:
letitia James continues to NOT amaze me with her antics.Again she is proving who she is...she claims to represent the underserved and working class then she attacks them like a pit bull seeing steak...she claims she is for affordable housing yet all you see going up in HER district is co-ops and condo's. She is against Atlantic Yards yet she requests private meetings with Forest City Ratner...she claims the city has no $$$ yet her chief of staff has purchased a new mercedes benz with the money she got from working on her boss' campaign while collecting her regular salary...who do you think you are fooling.....T.I.S.H.
March 28, 2010, 5:48 am
robin from reno nv says:
this is so typical. i just got treatened to be sued over my hitch that i use very often. i leave it in because it is solid, (not hollow) pintle hitch. due to the wieght and tight fit, i leave it installed. if we are sued over a legal hitch then how soon will we be sued because some nut bumps our mirror that is on the door hanging over the sidewalk. where does this stupidity end? what happened to personal accountability? how can you walk down the street if you cannot pay attention to what is in your path. if you bump your shins, then wake up and learn to pay attention to where you walk. if you get a cup of coffee, it will be hot! cars have things that stick out! bumpers, mirrors, and hitches are all things that legally stick out! pay attention, before you trip and fall. as for suing someone over your own stupidity, that is just crazy! this is the problem with society! lack of personal acountability is ruining this country!
May 4, 2010, 5:24 pm
Eduardo from Midwood says:
Not defending this woman at all, I think she's just out for a quick buck. But, I'm fairly certain that having a trailer hitch attached to your vehicle whilst NOT towing something is illegal. A friend was ticketed for it, but I do not believe it was in NYS.

If it is NOT illegal, it should be. I have seen people parking, bumping a car with a hitch, reversing and having the hitch pull the other cars bumper clean off.

My girlfriend banged into a hitch, and you know some women have a fast paced walk. She dislocated her knee, sprained her ankle and he leg has a bruise a good 8" long by 4" wide. She's in a cast. If anyone has a right to sue, it's her, not this idiot councilwoman.

Oh, no we are not suing, no point, the vehicle is registered to a police cheif.
July 24, 2010, 3:19 am
Eduardo from Midwood says:
I just looked it up, while there is no explicit law there ARE some city ordinances that require you to remove the hitch while in their jurisdiction and that you can be cited for it.
July 24, 2010, 3:21 am
istvan from ohio says:
She needs to move to the tea party
Oct. 30, 2010, 3:01 pm
Rob from Clinton Hill says:
Tish James is real advocate for her neighborhood. If the truck was insured, the lawsuit shouldn't be an issue for Mr. Day since his insurer should provide him with a lawyer and funds to pay any claim. If Tish was injured due to someone's negligence, she should be compensated like anyone else!
Dec. 10, 2010, 4:09 pm
Tammy from Iowa says:
I think I can solve all of your problems. There is a new gadget on the market called the Hitch Hermit. You install it right under your vehicle and it stores your ball hitch!! Check it out at www.hitch-hermit.com
Dec. 14, 2010, 2:43 pm

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: