Fire in the hole! Salty snowmelt sparks Kensington blaze

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Things were certainly popping in Kensington as the Blizzard of 2010 melted on Sunday.

A car parked near the corner of Vanderbilt and E. Second streets was destroyed when salt-water-drenched underground Con Edison wires ignited, setting off two massive explosions that rattled the usually quiet neighborhood.

“I heard a very loud ‘boom’ sound,” shutterbug Michael Carrasquillo, who snapped up all the action, told us. “Then about 20 minutes later there was another ‘boom’ — it shook my apartment about half a block away.”

The underground blaze started at 2:58 pm. Gases quickly built up, causing a manhole cover to pop. The underground fire then spread above ground to a nearby vehicle.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was pouring out of the manhole and the car’s undercarriage had caught fire.

Firefighters put out the car fire quickly, but then had to wait for Con Edison to shut off power to the street before they could tackle the combusting wires.

Residents were without electricity for about an hour as firefighters smothered the underground blaze with fire retardant chemicals, explained an FDNY spokesman, who added that there were no injuries.

It’s clear that the damaged Con Edison wires were to blame, but Chris Olert, a spokesman for the utility, said the fire was just a sign of the season: Salty snow sometimes corrode cables and spark electrical fires, he said.

“Water alone doesn’t impact the system, but in the winter the city uses salt to melt the snow and ice,” explained Olert. “We see the incidents increase in direct proportion to the volume of salt used. If there’s a nick in the cable, there’s a possibility that the salt will cause the cable to smolder.”

Power was restored within a few hours.

Updated 5:22 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

witness from Witness says:
Well, actually we are in Windsor Terrace, not Kensington, but that aside, the fact is that our whole block was without heat or electric from 2 o'clock until 11:30. The lights went out first at about two and THEN about 15 minutes after that, we heard the first loud boom. Con Ed did not show up for a good long time despite several phone calls. The Fire Department however was amazing and showed up within like 90 seconds.
Jan. 3, 2011, 9:44 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: