Hope Reichbach, rising star, is dead at 22

for The Brooklyn Paper

Hope Reichbach, a rising star 22-year-old in city politics and a key aide to Councilman Steve Levin, was discovered dead inside her Schermerhorn Street apartment on Thursday.

Police were called to the apartment near Hoyt Street at 2:35 pm and found Reichbach, the daughter of prominent Judge Gustin Reichbach who was just starting her own political career, lying on a bed. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The cause of death was not immediately released, but a source said Reichbach died of an overdose of prescription drugs. An autopsy was scheduled to take place on Friday.

Reichbach was a lifelong resident of Boerum Hill, though some wrongly labeled her as a young interloper when she challenged the Brownstone Brooklyn political establishment last year by running for district leader against Jo Anne Simon. Reichbach lost, but not by the usual landslide.

Click back for more on this developing story.

Daniel Sieradski from Boerum Hill says:
This is so shocking to hear! My sincerest condolences to her family, friends and colleagues. I met Hope when she was going door-to-door with Steve Levin to get out the vote before last November's election. She helped me out just recently when I was rabble-rousing for cleaning up the trash on 4th Avenue. Have the police determined a cause of death?
April 28, 2011, 7:13 pm
lindaperrybarr from upperwestside says:
Just horrible! Condolences to the familiy. Richard, Johanna and I are so sorry.
April 28, 2011, 8:57 pm
eric kuo from ft greene says:
very very sad. just not right.
April 28, 2011, 9:18 pm
Eric McClure from Park Slope says:
This is shocking and terribly sad news. My condolences to Hope's family, friends and colleagues. She was a nice, smart kid with a bright future.
April 28, 2011, 9:21 pm
John Galt from BK says:
She was an active and important part pf the Brooklyn Young Democrats. The lack of her presence will be noticed
April 28, 2011, 9:31 pm
Joe Z. from Greenpoint says:
I offer my condolences to her family. Hope was my neighbor in the building. She was a friendly, outgoing and courteous young woman who was dedicated to making the neighborhood, and district at large, a better place. I wish her eternal peace in the hands of God.
April 28, 2011, 10:11 pm
Ken from Greenpoint says:
She was a nice person The only problem she worked for the wrong people like S. Levine and company a puppet of looser Veto Lopez.
April 28, 2011, 10:16 pm
Raul Rothblatt from Prospect Heights says:
This is just so sad. My prayers go out to her family.
April 28, 2011, 11:15 pm
city guy from bklyn says:
god ken even a death you some how fit in lopez and levin. get a life and do something besides attacking 2 public servents. you have shown yourself to have no heart. I HAVE HOPE and thats all I need RIP
April 28, 2011, 11:15 pm
Peter from Brooklyn Heights says:
Terrible. My deepest condolences to her family and friends.
April 28, 2011, 11:20 pm
sarah from williamsburg says:
absolutely gut-wrenchingly horrible. my heart goes out to her family and friends.
April 28, 2011, 11:25 pm
Paco from Cobble Hill says:
heartfelt condolences to her family, friends, and all whom she touched. Just the other day, she emailed to bring me up to speed on local transportation issues. the brooklyn political landscape, and frankly all of brooklyn will miss her.
April 29, 2011, 12:06 am
Ty from Park Slope says:
I worked with Hope on her last campaign...every single person who had actually had something to do with her loved her. From shop owners on Court st to caretakers in the Gowanus House buildings. Brooklyn has lost a sparkplug who would have done so much good for everyone here, condolences to her family.
April 29, 2011, 2:59 am
SHBH says:
We loved you cousin Hope. We will always think of your sweet laughter and smile. No words..... ברוך דיין אמת
April 29, 2011, 4:38 am
Michael Cairl from Park Slope says:
Very sad news. Although I did not support her in last year's campaign, she ran well and energetically, and regardless it was good to see young blood be that interested in elective politics. Everybody agreed she had a bright future ahead of her. Don't take today, or each other, for granted.
April 29, 2011, 6:11 am
Rita Lynn from Park Slope says:
This is horrible and shocking news. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. I met Hope recently when she came to our Condo Board Meeting and I had spoken with her in previous weeks on the telephone. She was so enthusiastic and I had high hopes for her. I also discovered at the meeting that we in fact had a close personal connection. She was best friends with my oldest friend's daughter. My friend watched her grow up alongside her daughter and is close with the family. I made the connection at the meeting. So sad and a wrenching loss to the family and community. My heart goes out to all.
April 29, 2011, 7:56 am
Jotham from Brooklyn Heights says:
Hope was an intern briefly at the Daily News while I was there and she was just a wonderful person. When only several years later she ran for district leader I was deeply impressed, but not surprised. I'm so sad and shocked to hear the news. My sincere condolences to her family.
April 29, 2011, 8:12 am
Henry from Boerum Hill says:
I met Hope briefly, but in our short exchange she showed sincere thoughtfulness for our community and its every member. At 22, she made a difference in people's lives. She will be terribly missed. My deepest condolences to her family.
April 29, 2011, 8:50 am
st from park slope says:
so sad to hear this. hope was a lovely young lady with such a bright future. my thoughts are prayers are with her family.
April 29, 2011, 9:35 am
Ken from Boerum Hill says:
This is so sad and shocking. Hope was such a sincere and helpful person. She will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with family.
April 29, 2011, 10:04 am
Amala Lane from Manhattan says:
Always so sad when a tragedy like this happens. Much strength and love to her parents and family, friends and colleagues. Keep her light alive in all you do.
April 29, 2011, 10:41 am
Mary from Windsor Terrace says:
So saddened by this news. May her family find strength. Such a remarkable young woman.
April 29, 2011, 11:47 am
Rob from Clinton Hill says:
I've met Hope and was instantly struck by her energy, intelligence, and wisdom--especially for someone her age. She is a real loss to the community because it was a apparent to me that she was on her way to becomeing a very effective leader in the community. My condolences go out to her mother and father, as well as all of her friends and Steve Levin's office.
April 29, 2011, 12:37 pm
David K from Ditmas Park says:
RIP Hope, you were just getting started.
April 29, 2011, 2:53 pm
Matt from Park Slope says:
Rest in Peace. She will be missed by the Hunter community.
April 29, 2011, 2:58 pm
TB from Bay Ridge says:
Brooklyn is darker today without Hope out there shaking things up. She represented the best of our borough, personally and professionally. I only have a few memories with her, but she always greeted me with a brilliant smile, a warm hug and genuine care. The reality is still setting in for those of us blessed to enjoy her company and friendship, however briefly. There aren't enough tears for a person this wonderful.

My heart goes out to her wonderful mom and dad.
April 29, 2011, 4:09 pm
Kenn Lowy from Bklyn Hts says:
It was such a pleasure to know and be around Hope. Her energy, sense of humor and her strong desire to make her community a better place, will be missed. It's hard to come up with the right words to adequately describe her, but everyone that got to know her is in mourning and shock.
April 29, 2011, 4:34 pm
Real Democrat from Park Slope says:
Sad that Hope died even though she and her family were supporters of the corrupt and allegedly criminal Vito Lopez and his political machine. I wish her family the best in their grieving time.
April 29, 2011, 6:25 pm
LD from BK says:
@Christopher from LES...

WTF? a Hitler reference, really? She was 22. Relax.
April 29, 2011, 10:54 pm
broadway dave from manhattan says:
This is a sad loss. Who knows what turmoil and despair she may have felt. May the Creative Forces of the Universe be with us all.
April 30, 2011, 1:27 am
alan weberman from 50 Lefferts Ave says:
@Chris - she wouldn't go out on a date with you so you are happy she is dead. You are a scum.
April 30, 2011, 8:26 am
Sid from Boerum Hill says:
Hope was a bright vivacious, loving and committed person. I am going to seriously miss her.
Its too bad that the anonymity of the web allows some unthinking and in fact cruel people to write whatever drivel that they want. For some reason some people lose all prospective on what is both meaningful and "true".

Hope was in her early 20's. She had not yet begun to live. Her parents are lovely loving people who, as an example, have asked in lieu of flowers and food that people donate to a local charity in Hope's memory.
The Nicholas Heyward Memorial fund for the young man who was killed in the Gowanus houses. http://nicholasheywardmemorialfoundation.org/.
Those of us who have children cannot even begin to understand how they feel. Those of you without children yet, I personally hope you never find out what it is to have this happen to you and that until you do know you show a smidgeon of compassion.
When I was 15 my parents were frankly pretty stupid by the time I was 25 it was amazing on how much they had learned. Remember that and the next time you feel compelled to tell the "truth" as you know it...wait until you are 25 and in their shoes.
our(mine and my wife's) deepest condolences to Hope's family. Her untimely death diminishes us all.

April 30, 2011, 10:05 am
joyce from brooklyn heights says:
unlike so many her age, hope was not "all about me." she had the sense and sensibility to know to give to the community is to give to ourselves. that she was such a generous spirit adds to the tragedy of any life being cut so short. i hope and pray that her parents have the strength to endure such a loss.
April 30, 2011, 11:51 am
jooltman from park slope says:
One of the things that impressed me most about Hope was how she treated everyone with respect -- yes, even angry/mentally ill people. We should ignore the online nasties, and get on with the work of making Brooklyn a better place to live in her memory. She helped so many people in her short time.
April 30, 2011, 11:55 am
cumberland from ft. greene says:
Such a tragic loss. May her family find strength in the memory of her good deeds.
April 30, 2011, 2:26 pm
Michael from Greenpoint says:
You're level of journalism is shockingly low.

How do you put out a story quoting a single source that Ms. Reichbach died of a drug overdose?

Absent the Medical examiner's report, you don't have a clue and it is wontedly disrespectful of her family.
April 30, 2011, 6:32 pm
Linda A. from Hunter HS 2006 says:
Deeply saddened to hear the news. My condolences go out to the Reichbachs, family and friends who knew and appreciated Hope as a courageous fighter. May we all use that part of Hope's spirit to support what we believe in, with integrity.
May 1, 2011, 9:14 am
Ed from Boerum Hill says:
Would the site administrator kindly remove the
post from "Christopher from les?" It's sick, inappropriate, and frankly, disturbing. Chris, if you're reading this, you should keep in mind that the "truth" of the matter is that most young women don't date men who contact them randomly from a magazine article, especially if they come across like a basketcase, like yourself.
May 2, 2011, 10:31 pm
Peter from BR says:
Hope was a leader of her generation and she will be missed by all who were blessed to have known her.
May 3, 2011, 4:02 pm
Hi Kohn from Clinton Hill and Wmsbg says:
As a constituent and in working with Hope for the community, I was impressed with Hope's Charisma, manners, and loyalty. We had looked forward to observing her growth in our community. We will all miss her and want to express our condolence to her family and especially to Steve Levin and staff. A young life cut so short. May she rest in peace.
Although Hope is gone, her accomplishments brought about by her good deeds remain to comfort her family and friends.
H K
May 6, 2011, 1:15 am

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!