Rampant double-parking makes Dean Street a mean street, cyclists say

Motorists flagrantly break the law by double-parking on Dean Street, say angry cyclists who claim the rampant rule-flaunting puts their lives in peril.

Drivers routinely double-park between Sixth and Carlton avenues, partly blocking traffic and forcing passing motorists on the one-lane street to veer into the bike lane, according to bicyclists.

And it’s not just during alternate-side parking hours, when double-parked motorists tend to get a free pass from traffic enforcement officers — double-parking happens at all hours on Dean Street, according to biker Will Van Zee.

“They have to police over here — the double-parking is dangerous,” said Van Zee, who regularly commutes on the street and claims he broke his collarbone last year when he got “doored” after swerving around a double-parked car. “Cars get frustrated and try to speed past you over maybe a small delay. The worst thing for a motorist is that they’re late to work — but for a cyclist, they could be dead.”

A multi-day Brooklyn Paper investigation confirmed that numerous cars double-park along the block — sometimes forming a long row of vacant vehicles — with no apparent correlation to the street sweeping schedule.

In fact, it seems to be at its worst between around 5:30 pm and 8:30 pm, when many parents double-park to watch youth baseball at the Dean Street Playground.

But longtime residents say double-parking extends beyond sports leagues.

Many neighbors claim the roadway gets particularly crowded when parishioners use the traffic lane for parking during church services.

“When church members come, they’ll just double park. It’s just become a habit,” said Vanessa Nailda, a secretary at the Temple of Restoration church. “I’ve been here for 10 years, this street has always been crazy with parking.”

Some drivers who live on Dean Street say double-parking is part of the culture of the block — and it’s necessary because of the lack of available spots nearby.

“There’s almost no spaces here,” said Raul Bernal. “Where are we going to park if we don’t double park?”

Motorists who aren’t accustomed to the street’s strange parking practice say the nearly constant double-parking is a hassle.

“The couple of times I’ve parked here I couldn’t get out because someone was double-parked,” said a construction worker who is working on a project in the neighborhood. “I wouldn’t do that, because I have courtesy for other people.”

Cyclists claim a few traffic tickets would stop the double-parking epidemic.

Police at the 77th Precinct did not return calls for comment — and bike-riders say it may be because they’re part of the problem.

“I see cops double-parked every day,” said Van Zee. “How are they going to police it when they’re the number one people who do it?”

— With Alfred Ng

Reach reporter Eli Rosenberg at erosenberg@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2531. And follow him at twitter.com/emrosenberg.

S from Brooklyn says:

---

Um, you could park a few blocks away and WALK. Double parking is okay for a quick drop-off, not for a long-term stay. How can any motorist defend breaking the law?

Get the police over here to make some money by ticketing these lazy, selfish drivers. I drive and when I can't find a place to park on the closest block...I go to the next one. How hard is that?
Aug. 10, 2012, 8:13 am
Dave from Park Slope says:
S, going to another block to park is "not part of the culture." And don't forget, the U.S. Constitution guarantees the freedom of double-parkng to worship.
Aug. 10, 2012, 8:44 am
MRB from ft greene says:
In fact,
A large number of the double-parked vehicle are the personal vehicles of the police and fire people, both less than a block away. Obviously they aren't going to be getting tickets.

Part of the solution is to allow/assign police and fire personnel closer to their home so non-driving options are available to them.
Aug. 10, 2012, 8:46 am
S from Brooklyn says:
If the cops need to drive and park, another solution would be to assign on-street parking to local precincts during certain times of the day. But because this would mean "taking" free parking from other motorists my guess is that the people who drive around here would have a fit.

Motorists are not interested in the greater good!
Aug. 10, 2012, 8:54 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
New York needs to bring back the death penalty.
Aug. 10, 2012, 9:28 am
boof from brooklyn says:
Interesting that it's "the culture of the neighborhood." I had assumed it was just because there's a firehouse there. I'm grateful for the work they do, so I try not to get too bent out of shape about their suburban-style driving habits.

I bike here often and here's what I do: After I cross 6th, I move far to the left and let as many cars eagerly pass me as can safely do so. Then I ride in the middle of the street (so there's no room to pass me anymore) and go by the double-parked cars.

Then at the next traffic light, I pass all the cars that I just let pass me.
Aug. 10, 2012, 9:39 am
boof from brooklyn says:
Oh one more thing, Dean Street is probably about to become completely unusable in the fall when the Basketball "Stadium" opens, anyway.
Aug. 10, 2012, 9:41 am
ty from pps says:
Boof -- I think you'll be surprised about the impact of Barclay's Arena. Yes, the first month or so of events and games will be messy. But after that the majority of folks will figure it out. If you live in Prospect Heights/North Slope and you want to suggest the arena makes driving and parking difficult, well, I guess that's a nice hobby. It's *always* been damn near impossible. Lucky for car-owners, there are several garages and lots in the area that accept U.S. currency.
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:11 am
MD from Park Slope says:
TY, you seem to assume the same people will be coming to every event at Barclays. Each night, a new batch of people will need to figure it out. The arena will make many things worse, not just parking. You can insult people affected by these problems by calling their legitimate complaints a hobby, but that won't actually help mitigate some of the serious issues the arena will cause.
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:19 am
boof from brooklyn says:
Ty, I hope you are right.

I'm still willing to bet that Dean will be worse for bicycling. But I guess that's subjective anyway.

Like most people in the areas you mention, I don't own a car, so I don't really care about parking except to the extent that I wonder why we give away so much public space for free.
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:25 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Once again you cyclists have plenty to say about motorists but nothing to say about yourself. Do as I say not as I do is what you should learn. You don't have a right to complain about double parking until you start cleaning up your own and telling them to stop running red lights. If a person needs to park in the street who are you to tell them that it is illegal? I hear about bikes left on the street all the time, but no one complains that htey are blocking traffic do they? So stop complaining. And if you're really worried about this problem you should call for more parking spaces instead of more bike lanes because the only way to make there be less cars in the road is to have more parking.
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:25 am
ty from pps says:
MD -- And the residents will learn to deal with it and, god forbid, make some small adjustments in their lives. These other "many things" that will get worse will also be part of the adjustment.

Here's my prediction... about 8 families will be bent out of shape enough to move somewhere else. The rest will not even notice the arena after 6 months and there will be almost nothing written about its "impact" after a year.
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:29 am
ty from pps says:
Induced Demand
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:40 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Tal, you're making a mockery of yourself again. "If a person needs to park in the street who are you to tell them that it is illegal?" I'm a person who understands laws. You are acting like "illegal" is an insult we hurl at behaviors we don't like. Maybe for you, but literate people use the term a bit more specifically.

Why would you even sputter out that last line about how to make fewer cars on the road? There is not a whit of evidence to support that. Are you innumerate too? I know it's really easy to just make stuff up, but do you not even have the self-respect to say true things?
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:47 am
Paul from The Slope! says:
What do we expect from the NYC. I blame the department leadership, not the lowly cop.
Aug. 10, 2012, 11:47 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
The only person making a mockery of yourself is you Mike. It's logic that a parked car in a garage or in a parking space isn't in the road so if you make more parking spaces you won't have as many cars in the street. If you guys are worried about people driving to the Barclays Center you shouldn't have protested all of the parking so the joke is on you. I guess you're too brainwashed by Streetsblog to figure out how simple it is to make fewer cars which is with more parking! Of course the NYPD is above the law because it writes the law. If they don't want to park legally they have good reason to do it especially if they are driving from outside of the city to get to their jobs.
Aug. 10, 2012, 11:56 am
Saint Looney Up the Cream Bun & Jam from Disturbing Slope says:
Excuse me, do you mind if I join you?
Aug. 10, 2012, 12:15 pm
ty from pps says:
I'm trying not to "feed the troll" -- but these comments can't actually be Tal, right? I mean. These are a level of ignorance and stupidity that we haven't seen before.
Aug. 10, 2012, 12:21 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I have to go buy my hot policemen calendar now!
Aug. 10, 2012, 12:31 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Why is it that anyone who disagrees with you is a troll or stupid? Enough with the name calling ty. Enough. If you want to tell me what is wrong with my opinion you are free to tell me because this is America. But name calling is not allowed here or anywhere else even though you choose to engage in it so frequently which makes it seem okay to you, I guess. Why am I not surprised that you have nothing better add to this than troll comments. Who is the troll then? Cars are not the problem here so deal with it.
Aug. 10, 2012, 12:31 pm
Ernie from Red Hook says:
Does anyone know where a can get a good steak and cheese around here?
Aug. 10, 2012, 12:49 pm
ty from pps says:
Fine, Tal. I'll bite.

"I hear about bikes left on the street all the time, but no one complains that htey are blocking traffic do they?"
Bikes in the street, huh? There are bikes scattered around the roadways blocking traffic? Really?

"the only way to make there be less cars in the road is to have more parking"

"If you want to tell me what is wrong with my opinion you are free to tell me because this is America."
And since this is America, you are free to ignore everything and anything someone tells you and remain willfully ignorant -- repeating the same stupid, uninformed things over and over and over again. Why alter your opinion when dumb is easier.

"name calling is not allowed here or anywhere else"
Sure it is. I've proved it repeatedly.

"Of course the NYPD is above the law because it writes the law."
The police write the laws? Hmm... Is that just stupid or *really* stupid?

"If they don't want to park legally they have good reason to do it especially if they are driving from outside of the city to get to their jobs."
Sometimes I have to drive far distances too... I guess I can park anywhere when I get to my destination. The middle of the road. In a park. On the sidewalk. I have "good reason" because I drove so far.

You seriously thought this was an intelligent thing to write... or were you making a joke...?

"Once again you cyclists have plenty to say about motorists..."
Reread the article and the comments, Tal dear. Which commenters made reference to cycling? Is the entire article devoted to bike issues? (I won't answer these questions for you. You're a big boy. You should be able to figure it out yourself.)
Aug. 10, 2012, 12:59 pm
ty from pps says:
By the way, Tal. To be clear. I'm don't really ever call you names. I call you dumb, stupid, ignorant, idiotic, an idiot, a simpleton, etc. This isn't name calling. This is accurately describing you based on the evidence I have available.

PLEASE prove me wrong and I will describe you differently.
Aug. 10, 2012, 1:02 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Tal, please go take your super-bionic legs and walk them far, far away from a computer.
Aug. 10, 2012, 1:15 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Summarizing Tal's comments so far today:

- Cars that double-park in the bike lane are the fault of cyclists.
- He "hears" that people leave their bikes in the street "all the time" and they block traffic.
- We're not allowed to say whether or not double-parking is illegal, but even if it is, it doesn't matter, because cyclists break the law all the time.
- Even if a bike lane is on a street with curbside parking on both sides, getting rid of the bike lane will solve this problem.
- The NYPD "writes laws."
- This is America, so you're free to say anything you want. Except if you call me names.
- When it comes to double-parking, "cars are not the problem."

Presented without comment.
Aug. 10, 2012, 1:28 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
Pardon me, and I hate to be the one to suggest this, but in my opinion these "Tal" and "Ty" charactors just may well be the same person. I would like to think this person is doing this to hone his or her writing skills (at the expense of other readers), but I fear that this could be better described as a "mental condition" he or she might have. If this is the case, I do indeed hope that this would be somehow therapeutic for them.
Aug. 10, 2012, 1:46 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
John, I wish you were right, because that would indicate that this Tal character (who is, in fact, a real person and has occasionally shown his face in public) actually understands the opposition to his argument. Unfortunately, I'm not holding out hope.
Aug. 10, 2012, 2:09 pm
ty from pps says:
John Wasserman -- My writing tends to be fairly mediocre in these posts and Tal's is oftentimes barely English. So... there's that. :-)
Aug. 10, 2012, 2:16 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Just can't believe the long day I had for much of the day. It all started with taking my little brother to his tennis camp and then having to take him home early because of the rain. Even worse, I was at the post office for a while because I had the wrong custom form for sending books internationally, and it took me some time to do it. What did I actually miss today. I wouldn't be surprised if Chris did the impersonation, though ty is still a good suspect. Doing this has really sunk into a new low even for you. For the record, I don't condone those that double park, because they are blocking traffic. There are other places they can wait besides taking up a lane. However, the problem gets even worse the arena opening, because those double parked cars will create even more traffic. Still, I find it an irony to hear a cyclist talking about motorist who don't follow the rules when they themselves don't, so they have no moral legitimacy to make their claim.
Aug. 10, 2012, 4:26 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Tal, I don't find the need to make childish impersonations of you in Internet comments. Your own comments are hilariously nonsensical on their own.

And I'm not a cyclist, by the way. I'm just a pedestrian who believes in safer streets for everyone. Sorry that I don't fit your archetype.

But hooray, moral legitimacy is mine!
Aug. 10, 2012, 10:46 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
I think MD has a point. It's not going to be the same people going to the stadium for every game. Who can afford that many basketball tickets? Parking is going to be a nightmare around the stadium. Traffic is going to be a nightmare. I bet there's going to be a lot of vomit and piss and property damage and loud noise, too. I used to live next to Wrigley Field in Chicago and that's how it was. Even 15 blocks away from the stadium on game days you could not find a parking spot.

Well, maybe it will encourage car owners in the North Slope to give them up and use Zipcar instead when they need wheels.
Aug. 11, 2012, 9:23 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
I cannot be bothered reading self important whiney bs- it is NYC, it is Brokkyns, it is is Si, bronx and Queens - double parking - simple fact of life - this aint a cul du sac with skinny chicks
Aug. 11, 2012, 3:19 pm
Joey from Clinton Hills says:
Thanks for covering this. The double parking on this block is a disgrace. The local precinct does a terrible job here. I think it's the church people double parking most of the time, with the fire dept. coming in second.
Aug. 11, 2012, 8:26 pm
Or from Yellow Hook says:
The bikers should take a lesson;

when the 'culture' permits law breaking because it's a 'habit' then you reward bad behavior that becomes the norm.

The culture of bikers now is - anything goes - because we are greener than you.

The culture excuses red light running, riding with no lights, both ears covered, riding on the sidewalk, and riding the wrong way.

Bikers want to be granted respect, while respect is earned.

Double parkers were not chastised, so it became accepted. See how it works?

Who is going to be the patron of respectable bike riding? The job is open.
Aug. 12, 2012, 10:04 am
mike from GP says:
Once again, out of control motorists make our streets dangerous, and Ray Kelly's NYPD not only looks the other way, they are often the perpetrators. Shameful and embarrassing.
Aug. 12, 2012, 11:07 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Honestly, I don't condone motorists who double park. However, I find this an irony coming from cyclists who hardly follow the laws themselves. Perhaps Eli Rosenberg should have asked the angry cyclists complaining about this how many times they followed the rules. This just shows how much two wrongs don't make a right. Also, shouldn't those cyclists be going slower when there are things in the way? Then again, they don't like to be told what to do, and they always want to go fast even if the streets become an obstacle course to them. In other words, if you think following the rules is so important, then start with yourselves before you take it on others, so start practicing what you preach for once. On a side note, I am still waiting for those who I believed impersonated me to say where they were at the time of those comments, because if they have nothing to hide, they wouldn't be afraid to say it.
Aug. 12, 2012, 1:09 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
remember when dean street was the epicenter of $15 bj - hookers ruled it. Double parkig is a reality - not the cul de sac/wonder years af bad azz burb bois who hung tuff in fromnt of moms plac (wayne and gart anyone) and think pabst is great beer (pabst was the crap you bought when you were broke but spent the cash on a 3.5 gramn nickle bag. all you need to ride a bike is to keep your wits about you and not be in barney land of the spawn of hellicopter parents. if you made it through nyc in 70s you know what i mean
Aug. 12, 2012, 4:39 pm
ty from pps says:
Why does anyone want to "make it through" life? Seriously? God forbid life is halfway safe and pleasant.
Aug. 12, 2012, 8:43 pm
Frieda Livery from BH says:
Ty, growing up did anyone ever tell you "no?"

When they did, did you tell them they were mistaken?
Aug. 12, 2012, 10:23 pm
old time broolyn from slope says:
yeah - you make it through life with back packs singing - i love you you love me - lol - mozel tov peztela
Aug. 13, 2012, 1:36 am
ty from pps says:
Seriously,
Such weird views of life. It has to be painful or you're doing it wrong. Right?

I think it's funny you think (a) I'm a 22 year old "snowflake" from Iowa, (b) my parent gave me a single penny after I moved out of my house when I was 17, (c) I haven't worked hard to support myself, and (d) everything is supposed to be conflict and hardship and mere survival.

This is the 21st century. We live in a supposed "world class" city. If you think you need to approach life as if we are all at war in a post-apocalyptic fight-or-die world... well, that's all on you. The rest of us will keep trying to make the city more pleasant and safe.

Sure life is hard. Guess what? You don't have to make it harder by being a crusty, bitter douche bag.
Aug. 13, 2012, 8:36 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
old time "broolyn," $15 bjs from hookers and 3.5 gram nickel bags? Oh yes, I can see why you yearn for Ye Olde Breukelen. To a 70's burnout (which you seem to be) today's Brooklyn with its happy, prosperous families with healthy, smiling children would be anathema. Ah, the empty crack vials that used to roll down the streets of Park Slope, eh? They tinkled so beautifully in the crisp autumn air...
Aug. 13, 2012, 8:45 am
Mark from MarkyMarkTown says:
Wow, Scott, you make it sound like the area is under an evil spell to always be a crime scene, going from the "crime" of poverty with prostitution and crack to the CRIME of GrandTheftStadium, which displaces people, changes neighborhood character, and steals tax money to give to corrupt connected billionaires!

A blight on all our houses! And arenas!
Aug. 13, 2012, 9:29 am
Nat Johnson from Brownsville says:
Speaking of $15 BJ's, I just came back from Prospect Park where I picked up yet another white hipster girl from Park Slope. Only she didn't charge me & my boys a dime for our BJ's.
Damn I love hipsters from Park Slope!
Aug. 13, 2012, 5:54 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
wow 0 i guess some —— from ohio had my post deleted - lot cheaper to get a bj at the gaslight or snookies - gee it my have yo mamma and she was great
Aug. 13, 2012, 7:28 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
poosy that is - mazel tov
Aug. 13, 2012, 8:21 pm
old time broklyn from slope says:
Nat - park slope was always easy pickings - the original cougar town.
Aug. 14, 2012, 11:41 am

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!