Smoothie moves! Bike shop and juice bar under one roof

Windsor Terrace cyclists don’t have to be Lance Armstrong to get into juicing.

A bike shop and full-scale juice bar dubbed the Juice Pedaler sells space tires alongside smoothies — and its owners say the bikes and drinks are the perfect mix for the storefront just steps from Prospect Park

Juice Pedaler owners Deborah Capone and Nicole Bilu, who met seven years ago when their tots were in pre-school together, said a light bulb went off in their heads in April when they saw a “for rent” sign hanging at the former home of the neighborhood’s beloved Lonelyville cafe on Prospect Park Southwest.

“It was like a sign that we had to do something,” said Bilu. “The idea was to have a place that promoted healthy activity and nutrition in a fun way.”

They opened the store in October, and since then pelotons of neighborhood kids have been lining up for smoothies — and a quick spin on a stationary bike that patrons can use to blend their own drinks.

Kids love the mango, banana, yogurt, vanilla, and honey — and parents love the fact that Juice Pedaler employees slyly add nutritious veggies to make the drinks healthier.

The seasonal juice menu is sourced from local, organic produce, and far as the tots menu goes, the Capone and Bilu said they wouldn’t serve anything that their young children haven’t endorsed with their stamp of approval.

“They’re our taste testers for new recipes — they consider that their job,” said Capone.

An edible herb garden divides the quaint shop, complete with a working fireplace, stool and cafeteria-style seating, from the full-service bike shop in the backyard, where cyclists can get a tune-up for $60, add a child-seat for $35, or get some help from a trained mechanic.

The shop carries new two-wheelers and funky bike accessories — and rents out cruisers for anyone looking to take a jaunt around Prospect Park.

“We thought it would be good to have a bike shop on the park, but at the same time we didn’t think that a bike shop alone would survive year-round in this neighborho­od,” said Capone. “We both knew we liked to juice, so with that we created a bike shop and a juice bar.”

There’s even a selection of teas and coffee for cyclists who need an extra jolt of energy.

Patrons say the Juice Pedaler is a welcome addition to the quaint-but-sleepy stretch of Prospect Park Southwest.

“It’s great for the neighborho­od,” said Brenda Manzi, who visits the shop every week with her three children to indulge in a “green” juice concoction of kale, spinach, cucumber, celery and apple. “It’s nice to have a business on this side of Windsor Terrace — there isn’t much around here and the juice is delicious.”

The Juice Pedaler [154 Prospect Park Southwest between Seeley and Vanderbilt streets in Windsor Terrace, (718) 871–7500,].

skinny from park slope says:
those two should do more bike riding. stay off the smoothies. more exercise
Dec. 14, 2012, 10:19 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Boy these two really insipred me to go forward with my
Dog grooming/vegan catering business concept.
Dec. 14, 2012, 10:43 am
tired father from park slope says:
Hey- whatever it takes to have the kids enjoy a healthy snack. I've been to the shop. It's beautiful. I WANT ME ONE OF THEM LINUS BIKES!
Dec. 14, 2012, 2:54 pm
karma believer says:
Great new shop! So professional and friendly. I've got my eye on a beautiful Brooklyn Cruiser...maybe santa will be nice!!!
Dec. 14, 2012, 8:30 pm
Love my hood from Windsor Terrace says:
Why is it ok that someone like Skinny from Park Slope can make a mean comment like that. Please skinny stop being a bully...after today don't you think we should hug and give our neigbours all the encouragement you have to give. I for one love this store, today I was able to get a juice and purchase a gift for my child that I was able to pick up from school today. If you have nothing nice to say please don't say anything.
Dec. 14, 2012, 9:12 pm
PS from Windsor Terrace says:
Sweet shop - great vibe...

A good break from standing in the Vanderbilt playground pushing kids on the swings....
Dec. 14, 2012, 11:44 pm
Annon from Windsor terrace says:
Nasty comment about two very lovely and positive people by someone that calls themselves 'skinny from park slope'
Dec. 15, 2012, 3:26 pm
sophie from seattle says:
skinny forgot to include "——" in his/her comment
Dec. 15, 2012, 5:36 pm
sophie from seattle says:
skinny forgot to include "——" in his/her comment
Dec. 15, 2012, 5:36 pm
sophie from seattle says:
sour grapes, skinny?
Dec. 15, 2012, 5:37 pm
sophie from seattle says:
sour grapes, skinny?
Dec. 15, 2012, 5:37 pm
ina from wt says:
I'm more troubled by the first sentence of the article. You are likening them to Lance Armstrong, a national disgrace? Someone who did drugs for years, got stripped of all his titles, and stepped down from his charity? That's what this place is like???
Dec. 17, 2012, 10:50 am
Joey B from B-Town says:
When will the world recognize my musical talent?
Dec. 17, 2012, 3:14 pm
John from Carroll Gardens says:
I hate these transient hipsters and their ridiculous ideas!
Here's hoping this place is closed in time for 2013.
Dec. 17, 2012, 4:01 pm
alex from lefferts gardens says:
hey john .....nicole was born and raised in brooklyn and happens to be a part of the neighborhood she lives in. you know dumb things like PTA, fundraising for a variety of causes, volunteering her time and resources and now promoting healthy juices and snacks to kids.
Dec. 17, 2012, 7:55 pm
alex from lefferts gardens says:
hopefully his mother wont raise the rent on his basement suite.
Dec. 17, 2012, 7:58 pm
Skinny II from PS says:
I'd have to agree with Skinny. Being chunky in promoting a business for health consciousness is a bit...ironic.
Dec. 18, 2012, 11:01 am
karma believer says:
Hahhahaaa! I say Juice Away Ladies, you're doing a great job! It's obvious who these silly skinnies are! hahaaa!
Dec. 18, 2012, 12:53 pm
me from windsor terrace says:
@skinny I, skinny II and John from Carroll Gardens,

Y'all need to check in with yourselves. Your hate's only killing you.
Dec. 18, 2012, 1:25 pm
Skinny II from PS says:
@ me from windsor terrace:

Hate? LOL. Who said anything about hate? Sorry to break it to you that’s not what I feel. I am skinny true enough. I stuff my face with whatever I want, but with that said I have the will power to exercise to keep the unwanted weight off and love it! People like you are so fake…”oh it’s great that you’re overweight and you’re happy being such…et”. You do know you’re really not being helpful by falsely applauding those that needs help? By the way, I never hear people say “oh man, I wish I could be fat like that person” or ever hear anyone make gaining some love handles or stomach blubber as their new years resolution. So stop being delusional. ;)
Dec. 18, 2012, 2:16 pm
me from windsor terrace says:
@Skinny II: I rest my case.
Dec. 18, 2012, 2:22 pm
Love My Hood from Windsor Terrace says:
To the Skinny's from Park Slope stay in Park Slope. If being skinny also means your a mean bully with nothing nice to say then please pass me a cookie I don't want to be anything like skinny from Park Slope. You are a bully, maybe your so damn skinny because your mean and cold hearted. Please what is wrong with you why are you saying such mean things about these two ladies that are trying something different. Not everyone is as lucky as you to be able to "stuff your face", you have no idea about these people and their lives. Your a bully and our schools at the moment are all about teaching our kids about bully's and how not to be one maybe spend a bit of time looking into that instead of being such a nasty person.
Dec. 18, 2012, 7:10 pm
David Greene from Windsor Terrace says:
As their customer, I have come to know Nicole and Deb. They are both extremely sweet and lovely.

But regardless of that...

Anyone with sense and courtesy who took a glancing look at the comments of "Skinny," "Skinny II," and John, would see how childish and misplaced these remarks are. They are so typical of what is sometimes the worst of the internet: sniping remarks by people working out their personal issues, doing so in public by making anonymous criticisms of others.

These rude and unthinking remarks are meaningless, but since I am actually acquainted with these very kind proprietors, I just thought I would point out the obvious.

Nicole and Deb are wonderful people and expert juice makers. Anyone would be lucky to consume such beneficial food, in the lovely atmosphere they create. I am so glad they opened up their shop in the neighborhood.
Dec. 19, 2012, 9:48 pm
islander from brooklyn says:
skinny 1.2.3 and don't give a crap who the rest of u are pushing negative vibes towards these two friendly ladies need to take a look in the mirror cause your behind isn't perfect.they are doing something to promote healthy living and a positive attitude to oneself.whenever one walks in that store they leave with a smile on their face nic and deb makes sure of it and thats something you don't have to pay miss skinny ha ha maybe you should try walking into the store buying a juice getting a smile for free with some positive vibes to go wit that .its more than a meal for the day.
Jan. 18, 2013, Midnight

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!