Coffee … for kids! ‘Babyccinos’ are espresso shots for tots

Don’t miss our updates:

They grow up so fast.

Brooklyn’s obsessive coffee culture is rubbing off on the borough’s youngest cafe-goers, with tots ditching their bottles and juice boxes in favor of “babyccinos” — mini decaf cappuccinos or frothy cups of steamed milk and foam.

Moms and dads in neighborhoods like Park Slope, Fort Greene and Prospect Heights are ordering the small, foamy, surprisingly grown-up beverages for their pint-sized offspring.

And the kids are asking for refills.

“Our children love babyccinos!” said Eric Worcester, who ordered the milk-only variety for his kids, Evelyn, 5, and Shirley, 2, at Sit and Wonder on Washington Avenue on Saturday (He and his wife had more traditional beverages).

The folks behind Sit and Wonder also sell babyccinos at their Fort Greene coffeehouse Bittersweet, where a barista said she serves up between five and 10 of the kiddie drinks daily.

Gemma Redwood, co-owner of the two coffee joints, made sure her cafes were child-friendly by outfitting Sit and Wonder with a changing station in the bathroom and a backyard filled with toys. But she only started selling a $2 coffee-free variety of the drink —which is not officially on the menu — due to popular demand.

“I think it was from a TV show or something,” said Redwood, who does not allow her two young children to sip the faux-adult beverages. “It’s a little weird — but we make it.”

Baristas at many other coffeehouses around the borough such as Cafe Regular in Park Slope and Root Hill Cafe in Gowanus admit they make the baby drinks. But babyccinos had some coffee-sellers — who are frequently frustrated by requests for highly specific off-the-menu items — drawing a line in the foam.

“I have one customer who says that and it annoys the hell out of me,” said Sean Chin of Gorilla Coffee in Park Slope. “It is not on our menu — which we are making an effort to stick to.”

The trend started in Australia about a decade ago with milk-only babyccinos and quickly became the bane of many a barista’s existence, according to Aussie coffee expert Paul Caligiore.

“They interrupt workflow, create milk wastage and can be served at a dangerous temperature to a vulnerable consumer,” said Caligiore, who despite his misgivings about the drink plans to begin selling the world’s first instant babyccino. “Babyccinos have become so popular in Australia it would be difficult to find a cafe that doesn’t have them on their menu.

The trend spread to England and the internet, with YouTube serving as a popular repository of videos of parents making the beverage for their kids.

Fans of babyccinos say the drink’s popularity has surged in Brooklyn over the last few months.

The concoction might be Brooklyn’s first coffee beverage marketed primarily to children, but it’s certainly not the first time the borough’s adult venues have catered to kids.

The Tea Lounge in Park Slope offers “stroller parking” and makes a point of allowing patrons to breastfeed their infants on the cafe’s many couches. Der Schwarze Kolner, a beer garden in Fort Greene, hosts a weekly playgroup for parents and their toddlers.

Babyccinos can help coffee shops reach a whole new generation of java drinkers — and that’s not necessarily a bad thing for children, so long as they stick to decaf.

Doctors say that caffeine is not healthy for kids in large quantities, but a decaf shot of espresso contains less caffeine than a soda.

“A small percentage of caffeine on a non-regular basis is probably okay,” said Dr. Deena Blanchard, a pediatrician at Premier Pediatrics who remained skeptical of the kiddie coffee.

Lots of Brooklyn moms have no qualms exposing their kids to the borough’s booming cafe culture.

“My child has been going to cafes since he was a newborn,” said Katherine Haver, a freelancer who works out of coffee shops, sometimes with her nearly two-year-old son. “ ‘Coffee shop’ was one of his first words.”

Reach reporter Eli Rosenberg at erosenberg@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2531. And follow him at twitter.com/emrosenberg.
Updated 12:40 pm, February 15, 2012

Don’t miss our updates:

Mom from ParK slope says:
This is not really a story but a marketing ploy and milk made to be a divisive issue between breeders and anti-breeders. When I was in college almost 20 years ago our cafe sold milk and soy steamers as a healthier alternative to hot cocoa for kids and adults. My grandmother's generation drank warm milk as a rule, and European kids drink weak cafe au lait. All that is new is calling it a 'babyccino.' Why is it so hard for a barista to make and sell steamed milk? It's one step easier than a latte. Silly story.
Feb. 15, 2012, 8:23 am
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Repellant. Yes, the fare is decaf, but that is only a hop, skip and a jump from the real eventual--as in a couple of years later when children's' overwhelming curiosity is matched by physical development and they can reach for things on their own.

Yes, I live in North Brooklyn where crack mothers pass on their habits to their progeny through their milk and hamster pass on their legal stimulants through theirs. But the former will be pilloried and harangued and eventually ejected from the community, while the latter will be celebrated and given a top link on a supposed community paper.
Feb. 15, 2012, 9:55 am
Here is a helpful wiki:

Yes, again, I understand the fare is decaf. That is nevertheless preposterous as what is important here is not necessarily the acclimation of the stimulant but the acclimation to the bitter taste of the roast--if we live in a society that believes marijuana is a gateway for other drugs then it's no stretch to believe that feeding decaf coffee to youngsters will acclimate them to hyper-caffeination in their early youth.
Feb. 15, 2012, 9:58 am
Clyde Shuman from Carroll Gardens says:
There should be someone from ACS at every coffee house and Starbucks in Park Slope and Fort Greene, and wherever else this nonsense is happening, to rescue the spawn from their overly indulgent, terminally hip idiot parents.
Feb. 15, 2012, 10:08 am
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Clyde Shuman from Carroll Gardens, when I saw this article one word shouted at me from the photos of smiling beautiful hamsters accompanying this article: "EXPLOITATION."
Feb. 15, 2012, 10:12 am
Mom from Bay Ridge says:
Disgusting! I am appalled at the idea of introducing an addictive substance to toddlers.
Feb. 15, 2012, 11:48 am
prillis says:
yes, please tell these parents how to raise their kids. NYers love it when you do that.
Feb. 15, 2012, 1:07 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Prillis, what exactly is that supposed to mean? That somehow our "outrage" is an explicit instruction to a specific parent? The point of your contrariness on this flies in the face of reason. We're not talking about "telling parents" to do anything--we're talking about a business exposing a completely vulnerable demographic to a powerful stimulant. The fact that it is a legal stimulant doesn't lessen the exploitation.
Feb. 15, 2012, 1:17 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
And if a parent exposes children down to the infant level to a culture wrapped around a powerful stimulant then yes, it is wrong and it is fine if we say it. The problem is that it is not said enough. And so NY parents don't like it? Tough. They may be parents, but they're not God.
Feb. 15, 2012, 1:18 pm
DeeCee from Park Slop says:
What a joke! Bad enough we have to have the Ubber liberals and hipsters running like cockroaches through the streets of park slop, hype their spawn up on caffeine thats real smart
Feb. 15, 2012, 2:49 pm
adamben from bedstuy says:
cute until you try to put them to bed at night.
Feb. 15, 2012, 2:55 pm
prillis says:
yes, these drinks really do seem like a gateway to powerful stimulants. please save us all dennis.
Feb. 15, 2012, 3:38 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Excuse me, Prillis, caffeine IS a powerful stimulant. If you think that by pointing that out my wish is to "save you" then please save me from your narcissism.
Feb. 15, 2012, 3:40 pm
Jaded from Bay Rigde says:
Go Go Juice is where its at.
Feb. 15, 2012, 3:49 pm
prillis says:
since when is pointing out stupid things you write narcissism? the crap you write is as officious as it is trite. wow big words!
Feb. 15, 2012, 4:14 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
I also fart when I'm outside in public places. Sometimes, when homeless ask me for change, I say 'no' though I have some quarters in my pockets.

Is there anything else about me you need to discharge? You came on this thread with a chip on your shoulder about me, and you refuse to look at this article with its issue in front of you because you look like a retard trying to chew your eat and grab your elbows in your personal post right there. If you want to keep writing about me, you'll have to wait on responses, since it's typical. I bet an actual view on the actual issue than a repressed resentment would be much more interesting.
Feb. 15, 2012, 4:18 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
And if you're so threatened that you consider 'narcissism' a "big word" that you need to go search the dictionary for insults that supposedly match me phonic for phonic betrays a psychological defect. You should seek help for that.
Feb. 15, 2012, 4:19 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
We are talking about "caffeine" and "infants" and "cafe culture" in supposedly "new" Brooklyn. What in blazes are you talking about?
Feb. 15, 2012, 4:21 pm
Not a mom from Brooklynville says:
"Guilty! You caught me giving milk to my kids. Frothy warm delicious milk! I'm so hip and Brooklyny" — great quote from 'Mandy Wynn' on Twitter.

Feb. 15, 2012, 5 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Warm milk is fantastic for children--I guess. But really, that jokes is funny, true, but its coy. This article itself and why it was published in Brooklyn Paper has nothing of "warm milk" about it. Understand? It's about coffee. The "warm milk" is just a funny formality. Funny. For the moment.
Feb. 15, 2012, 5:05 pm
prillis says:
yes, dennis, i'm sure i look like a retard. particularly for using the term 'retard,' and posting three different messages on this article within three minutes (not to mention the previous posts). you got me.
Feb. 15, 2012, 5:44 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Got it out of your system? Yes, I'm a retard. Yes, I'm officious. Trite. What else? I'm willing to accept whatever nonsense you say about me that has nothing to do with the issue if it drags your boredom along. Oh, I posted three messages in a couple of minutes? I must have a leg growing deformed out of my forehead and a horn growing out of my ass--clearly, what kind of sub-human would post THREE WHOLE TIMES, I mean, what kind of mongrel uses more than 10 words to type a message.

Anything else? You see, if you're getting some jolly out of your ad hominem and nothing but ad hominem remarks, please, step up your quality. I've been attacked by top-notch trolls. You're not even to their level--you're a mere mushroom.
Feb. 15, 2012, 10:02 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Oh look, egad! I'm typing in another field--I must be criminally insane! I must be a psychotic--I know all the letters in the alphabet! And when I type a comment to an article its germane to the article and not a pathetic and weak personal grudge I have against another person--call an ambulance! Clearly, I must be typing from the asylum--I own a dictionary! I must be consorting with al-Qaeda!
Feb. 15, 2012, 10:09 pm
Holliday from Park Slope says:
WOW!!!! Talk about BAD journalism. Do you realize that this Babyccinos are simply "steamed" milk with a catchy name. Being a small neighborhood business is hard enough without poorly informed journalist publishing erroneous information. Brooklynpaper.com do better!!!!
Feb. 16, 2012, 12:47 am
TonyD from Ohio says:
Firstly, espresso, if roasted and blended properly is NOT bitter. If the correct blends are used when blended with steamed milk, the taste is beautifully sweet and smooth. Espresso also has less caffeine than regular drip coffee because most espresso is medium to dark roasted: this process burns off caffeine. Besides, unless I read the article wrong it stated that most parents choose the no espresso option or the decaf option. C'mon peeps, it's not like we introducing kids to crack here.
Feb. 16, 2012, 7:19 am
Daniel says:
How much caffeine does milk have in it again? For goodness sakes, folks, stop feeding your kids Milk! Please help protect the innocent from the bovinity of fools and beware of voluble tools!
Feb. 16, 2012, 9:09 am
Princess of BKLYN from Billyburg says:
Why in god's name would you give a child coffee??? This whole concept is so bizarre. Find a play group and take you kid to play with other children instead of bringing your brat to a bar or a coffee house.
Feb. 16, 2012, 9:09 am
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
I took a baby into the crack house down the block, but it's ok, I didn't give her any real crack, I just gave her some baby powder to play with. Totally innocent, and smells good, too. And all the crackheads think it's so cute! So shame on all of you for thinking I'm exposing my baby to crack--I'm just dousing her with sweet wholesome baby powder!
Feb. 16, 2012, 10:31 am
Diana from Brisbane Australia says:
As an Aussie mum of a 3 year old, babycinos are pretty much a necessity if we expect our kids to tag along to a coffee shop with us. They are a novelty and a treat for kids when they go out. In saying that, the babycinos in Australia do NOT have any coffee in them, decaf or not, it's just a bit of milk, milk foam and cocoa sprinkled on top. The worst it might have is a marshmallow on the side. It keeps kids busy for about 5 mins and is something special for them to have when they go out. Baristas should embrace the babycino because it's the playgroups and stay at home mums that frequent coffee shops regularly.
Feb. 16, 2012, 12:14 pm
Diana from Brisbane Australia says:
Feb. 16, 2012, 12:14 pm
Betsy from Pelahatchie says:
Oh, lighten up, folks. Didn't any of you ever drink coffee as a kid? I did, from about age 3 onward. On Saturday or Sunday mornings, my father would fix me a half-cup of Yuban instant with condensed milk, no sugar, just like he drank. I'd sit on the front porch with him and enjoy daddy-daughter time. Didn't stunt my growth, make me fat or give me ADHD. I was an adult before I ever drank a whole cup of coffee at one sitting. I've likewise let my own children have small amounts of decaf or half-caf at home, and it hasn't hurt them, either. Gateway drug? Child protective services? Get real, y'all.
Feb. 16, 2012, 12:57 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Betsy, thank you for your account. I apologize if I find it wholly unbelievable. Growth stunt, obesity and ADHD, ironically as you mention them, are real problems. The fact of your mentioning them in trying to privilege your experience and anecdote over science testifies to just how little credence I often give pseudonymous and anonymous narrative on threads by venues like Murdoch-owned gentrifying-loving Brooklyn Paper. I prefer science and credible research, credible accounts. I won't sway you from your experience, impression or account, I'll simply paste these easy accessing wiki that is written in language in turn easy to understand.

In turn, it should be said that some have inferred I and others that are unsettled are "trying to tell parents what to do." It's not the parents that bother me on this one, or even the cafes as much as Brooklyn Paper with their piece-meal construction-cum-advertisement for selling coffee to infants. It's despicable. You have the right to drink whatever and, to reasonable and legal limits, do whatever you want with your child. But your anecdote supports this despicable turn in BP's already terrible media.
Feb. 16, 2012, 1:18 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
This image in the wiki has Its odd aesthetic, feel me?

Feb. 16, 2012, 1:25 pm
ES from Ft Greene says:
Hmm I'm a grandmother who wonders what this nonsense is all about. Yes I remember loving steamed milk with a touch of cinnamon and often making same for my own children. They have sipped wine from my glass as well. Now they are adults...none with addictions, and the only thing I find absurd here is that people are outraged. Please a cappacino is not a gate-way drug, and from what I see, the "Babycino" is the invention of a creative parent responding to her child...by inventing a coffee free version.
Feb. 16, 2012, 1:37 pm
Daniel says:
Never forget: Tools should be left in the shed or a toolbox when not in use. A misused, dirty, or broken tool is a gateway to abuse! Tools left out in the rain or left alone on blogs will suffer from oxidation and decay.
Feb. 16, 2012, 1:59 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Fair enough. I don't have enough energy to reach 'outrage' yet--I have to get on the track and cycle towards fury for this issue. How's about a suggestion instead of an argument, since, again, I sympathize with busy parents. How's about natal classes in yoga? These new yoga studios have seats for people to sit down and chill, and classes that run simultaneous between parents and children? Again, I'm not trying to privilege or denounce an experience that "plays house" with coffee but somehow never seems to reach lips, let alone brains? Yes, maybe you don't think coffee has any significance over your life and behavior. Yes, maybe you don't think it has any significance over your child's, either. I'm willing to accept that. Maybe we can also dismiss the possibility of calories, too? I mean, c'mon, it never had any meaning in my life. Why should it have meaning in anyone's life? I'll also insert something here about how old I am and how many generations I am tied to so that can also trump science and reason. Ah, it feels so warm, like this oatmeal I steam with milk and cinnamon. Hmmm, maybe I'll have a coffee.
Feb. 16, 2012, 2:41 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
You know, reading these posts, I can't help but think of Showtime's Mad Men--specifically the tobacco giant clients, with their silly reminisces, puffing out cigars, talking about their iron age grandparents surviving into their centennials sucking on a purely innocent trifle meant to chill.
Feb. 16, 2012, 2:51 pm
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Hey, and don't distort my arguments. I never said coffee was a gateway to drugs. I said infants exposed to coffee or cafe culture will be prone to hyper-caffeination--the specific medical term is "caffeine intoxication." Don't twist It--I used 'marijuana' first as an example to demonstrate claims that marijuana use gates to other drugs so it's safe to say exposing infants and very young children to coffee and cafe culture gates towards caffeine intoxication. It is so frequent that several levels of caffeine abuse are demonstrated in the DSM. I later used the 'crack' example to demonstrate how silly it is to say that prepping kids with faux 'kid' versions of behavior will have no effect later when they become adults. And all of you are claiming that "babbycinnos" mean "just steamed milk" but this article clearly contradicts that:

"Babyccino is hardly a scientific term, with some shops and customers using the word to describe a macchiato-like beverage featuring a shot of decaf espresso topped with steamed milk and froth, while others use it to describe steamed milk with foam on top and a touch of cinnamon. Baristas around the borough say they get requests for both versions of the drink."
Feb. 16, 2012, 3:44 pm
adamben from bedstuy says:
whoa! i think a lot of people on this thread need to detox and get that caffeine monkey off their backs.
Feb. 16, 2012, 5:11 pm
gail from prospect heights says:
People, the story is so wrong, a babyccino is merely steamed milk, no coffe of any kind not even decaf.
This reporter is obviously desperate for material if he thinks this makes news and you are all buying into it, the whole thing is a fabrication.
Feb. 16, 2012, 5:44 pm
Kat (not a pseudonym) from Victoria, Australia says:
The first time I drank a Coke after giving birth to my daughter, she went hyper on the caffeine she got through my milk. But since then I've drunk Coca Cola (which apparently has more caffiene in it than a babycino?!) and she doesn't react anymore.
Isn't it silly to make a fuss about giving your child coffee? If I wanted to give my daughter a coffee, then it's on my head when she won't go down for a sleep because she's pinging on coffee.
Feb. 16, 2012, 8:11 pm
Friday says:
Take the children to Shake Shack make him/her down a vein clogging burger or to Smoke Joint for a slice of pig nose.
Then take the children to the foot bridge where the kids throw bricks from the Ft. Green Projects.....
Feb. 17, 2012, 1:18 pm
Bob Dobb from Prospect Heights says:
another Bkyn Paper story distorting the facts just to drum up reader comments. Guess it worked.
Feb. 17, 2012, 1:31 pm
KSid says:
Half the comments are from one person.
Feb. 17, 2012, 3:56 pm
Michael from santa monica, CA. says:
Yikes- go to The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in Manhattan. They do not market drinks for kids, just offer non coffee alternate drinks for all people and all ages-All Kosher & Halal All the Time. Best product to come from California since the Avocado!
Feb. 17, 2012, 5:20 pm
Skellatosis from BK says:
I drank coffee as a kid and I turned out fine. There are bigger problems in the world than this people. Gimme a break. You should get as upset about the amount of people starving in our own city than worring about privileged parents giving their kids steamed milk. Priorities.
Feb. 18, 2012, 9:43 am
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Skellatosis, you're kidding, right? I mean, i bet you're a good guy away from the computer, but you're hardly someone to hold as an example for the caffeinated life. I mean, I'm no angel either, but I'm not claiming I'm fine when I constantly post nasty personal attacks on people. Really, how do you take your coffee?
Feb. 18, 2012, 6:18 pm
Skellatosis from BK says:
The point is you're making issue of nothing Dennis. Who I am or what I am doesn't concern you. What's your point? Because I have opinions that I do is because of a stimulant? Please. Like I said bigger issues in life than steamed milk.
Feb. 19, 2012, 12:17 am
Skellatosis from BK says:
Dennis you constantly make yourself look like an idiot.
Feb. 19, 2012, 12:17 am
Skellatosis from BK says:
Ohh too much coffee today.
Feb. 19, 2012, 12:18 am
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
Yes, "I am the one constantly making myself look like an idiot." Yes, the issue is "steamed milk." Yes, "too much coffee today."

But actually, this isn't about any of that. This isn't about parents making choices for their children, either. This is about Brooklyn Paper engaging in a marketing campaign that it favors to infants and young children--understand? And they're not trying to sell diapers, feel me? They are selling a brand, a product, an industry--get it? And it so happens that the brand they are selling is "caffeine"--yes, there are "steamed milk" versions. That they are versions only make them faux for the real thing--like putting pleather on kids and telling them you're not trying to sell them a purse. Yes, parents of course can serve steamed milk, or coffee even if it kills their children--let it be on their head. Again, this is about Brooklyn Paper pretending to be "community paper" but really, just being the usual despicable.
Feb. 19, 2012, 10:02 am
Dennis sinneD from Williamsburg says:
There are lots of Australian opinions on here--what a hoot! Australia telling Americans what is appropriate. Here is another Australian opinion that may sway you, Skell:

And others, useful:

And, you should know, and excuse my caps for emphasis, CAFFEINE RANKS ONLY BELOW TOBACCO [AND THUS, NICOTINE] AS THE MOST POPULAR POWERFUL LEGAL STIMULANT IN THE WORLD, and its sales number into the billions and billions, with effects on international economies and sold as commodity on financial markets.

This is what Brooklyn Paper cares about. Neither you, nor me, nor the infants targeted by this marketing campaign--understand?
Feb. 19, 2012, 10:07 am
Nathalie from American in costa rica says:
Giving your kids coffee is ——ed up
Steamed milk... Whats the big
Deal
I have lived in Costa Rica 5 years and am still adjusting to the fact that babies are given coffee in thier bottles everyday!!!!
95% of the population here is no taller then 5 feet with good reason!!!
Odd article
Feb. 20, 2012, 10:29 pm
Ethan from Here says:
"Coffee shop" is two words.
Feb. 22, 2012, 10:03 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
what is the bfd - if your kids like coffee let them have it - we arent talking baby beer and camels - lighten up
Feb. 25, 2012, 9:44 am
RJ says:
old time brooklyn -

Caffeine might not be as bad as alcohol or tobacco, but it's still a drug. Caffeine stunts growth in children and can wreck havok on the endocrine system. Plus it's a diuretic, so it causes dehydration.

Coffee is not healthy and shouldn't be given to children with growing bodies.
Feb. 27, 2012, 3:04 pm
old time brooklyn from SLOPE says:
rj

do you have a study that can repeat your findings - when my kids have sleepovers - you want coffee - help yourself - wanna a sniff glue well let me know (its a brooklyn th
ing and and it iant elmers)
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:25 pm
F-ed in park slope from Brooklyn says:
It's bizarre to me that everyone is debating the negative effect of caffeine. You're missing the larger issue which is the concept of a babycinno is friggin stupid.
Psuedo hipster douchebaggery at it's finest.
Little Banjo and Windsong with their dad with the ironic handlebar moustache, sipping their fake coffee drinks, perhaps whilst listening to Can. Barf.
March 4, 2012, 5:42 pm
Brian from Salt Lake says:
Don't mess with Dennis sinneD.

Don't mess with a Mormon.

Caffeine=Satan!
March 6, 2012, 9:45 pm
Jill from Too Close to Yours says:
All the rage comments are giving me a headache. A nice cup of Java will cure that. My toddler will have a glass of Sterno, straight up, no chaser.
March 16, 2012, 11:39 am
Vanessa from Australia says:
Gee DennisD is a di*k. I read his comments out loud in a Woody Allen type accent. Gold! Then again I am an Aussie and we are a bit laid back here. Baby chinos are simply the extra foam (or froth as we call it) in a mini cup. An entire generation of strapping bronzed Aussies has grown up on them.
Off to take my dog for a Puppycino. Yes - we have those as well. Non lactose 'froth' in a dog bowl.
Now crawl out from the Wikipedia Dennis and entertain me. " Yes Ia am a di*k..."lol
March 22, 2012, 4:54 pm
Flavia from Queens says:
I have never posted comments, but this is too good to pass up. Babyccinos?? Ingenious marketing. babies, kids, and adults have been drinking warm milk with and without coffee around the world since the beginning of time. Cafe' au lait, Caffelatte, Cafe con leche. Heck! starbucks dont call it milk they cll it LATTE!!, Wow! we can call it Babyccinos. Let's count how many mothers will come running! Predictable huh? Sure bet. Off to the bank we go! This is just too funny LOL
June 6, 2012, 11:04 am
Chris from Atlanta says:
Honestly, I couldn't care less what other people do with their kids, but $2.00 a pop? I know I wouldn't want to spoil my child by teaching them to go to barristas and pay an arm and a leg for what you can buy by the pound at a local grocery store.
June 8, 2012, 1:06 pm
elizabeth from rhode island says:
In south america, it is the norm for children to have coffee with milk (usually a lot of milk) for breakfast.
In rhode island, kids drink coffeemilk (like chocolate milk,but coffee flaovred) - it;'s a state official drink , and it's served in schools.
July 2, 2012, 2:39 pm
eanmdphd from Coronado, CA says:

He has not been going... you have been taking him. If you were taking him to grandma's house, he might have said Nana; if to school, ABC; if to stadium, Go Giants / Go Jets...these are all choices.

Best of luck with your work, and your child.
July 20, 2012, 9:19 am
Kimmy from D says:
Dennis... you are GREAT!
July 20, 2012, 2:01 pm
gman from park slope says:
they've been serving these *cinos in other parts of the world for years. and it's JUST frothed milk, NOT decaf and milk. milk gets steamed for latte/cappuccino and remainder is spooned into a small cup for the baby. that's it. nothing sinisiter.

basta.
July 22, 2012, 8:28 am
thotnot from out in the dark says:
Yes it's a marketing ploy. Yes, it's steamed milk. Yes, parents are responsible for their children and can give them steamed milk with or without decaf espresso if they want to. Yes, countries around the world give their children all sorts of caffeinated drinks and it hasn't hurt them.
The writer obviously wanted attention with that misleading title and got it.
Sept. 11, 2012, 9:52 pm
Michel from N. California says:
This is not a trend in this area, but I can see it happening in L.A. if it hasn't already. Here the toddlers carry the 500 calorie chilled Starbucks or Peets Coffee drinks in their stroller drink holders. Hot chocolate is not caffeine free and never has been. Name your poison. If it is sweet, kids will drink it. It's probably no worse for them than soda.
Oct. 3, 2012, 10:38 pm
ana from yours says:
As a child, my parents fed me Shirley Temple's when we would go to dinner and they would have cocktails. Every single time.
How the heck did I not end up an alcoholic? I do howevr have an addiction problem with cherries.
Oct. 6, 2012, 7 pm
MomOf3 from Ohio says:
OK, first, chill out folks, they're talking about MILK, sometimes with a bit of DECAF espresso, perhaps some cinnamon. Last I checked milk (whether cold, hot, steamed, frothed, etc.) contains only its own natural sugars and is caffeine free. So for those who are outraged about whether this is nutritionally good for kids or whatever, geez, re-read the article. And if some parents sometimes do go for the non-decaf... again, chill. There's caffeine in chocolate. Would you have the same outrage if the parents got hot cocoa for their kid? Hmm, that's caffeine plus sugar... yet somehow more appropriate? In any case, drop the judgeiness. Parents know their own kids and generally spend their lives as parents in a constant state of negotiation and calculation regarding energy levels, nap schedule, nutrition, bribery/rewards, cost/benefit, etc. etc. There are moments when a parent is going to calculate that a bit of caffeine is a good idea for their child.
Second, I'm a parent and I frequent coffee shops, sometimes with one or more of them in tow. My kids are 11, 2, and 3 months. I've also been a bartender, server, worked in coffee shops, etc. I was always taught that it's against health code or something for customers to bring in their own food/beverages and consume them there, so it's not allowed. Additionally, it's just not cool for people of any age to come in and take up a seat or a table for however long and not be paying customers.
For both of these reasons, when I bring my kids to a place that serves food/beverages, I don't bring something from home for them. I order something so that a) I'm not violating health code and b) my kids are "earning" the space they're occupying. Until reading this article I've always gone for the fruit juice/smoothie that is generally an option at coffee shops... but as any parent knows, giving fruit anything to a kid is actually like giving them espresso. Plus the portion sizes are usually way more than small child needs and I end up drinking most of it. It never occurred to me to just ask for some form of warm milk beverage. It's pretty brilliant. The warmth, froth, and cinnamon (and perhaps decaf espresso if the kid likes that flavor) makes it a special, hopefully calming treat and makes it more likely they'll be focused on their beverage instead of creating mayhem. Almost all the joys of hot cocoa but with no sugar or caffeine.
The only thing I don't understand about any of this is why barristas would be annoyed by it. Would they rather the parents brought in a sippy cup of whatever beverage from home and have their kids take up space without paying/tipping? As another commenter here pointed out, it's one step easier than a latte
As an article though I don't think it's a stupid story. It's about an apparently growing trend and a term ("babyccino") that is new to many people and as such it's fair game in the world of journalism.
Oct. 14, 2012, 11:48 pm
Jayne from Park Slope says:
Hilarious bunch of busybodies on this thread! What business is it of yours to get your knickers all twisted about what other people do with their kids? To each their own, or in more old fashioned terms, mind your own business.
Oct. 29, 2012, 2:47 pm
Jennifer Saranow Schultz from San Francisco says:
For parents who don't want to spend money on these special drinks, here's an easy way I've come up with to satisfy my toddler's coffee fix: http://hintmama.com/2013/12/05/todays-hint-a-free-play-coffee-fix-for-the-toddler-set/
Dec. 5, 2013, 11:13 am
Howard Spokes from Australia says:
And then they feed them Ritlin to calm them down. Sheesh.
Jan. 6, 2015, 7:40 pm
Carla says:
Helo I am carla

My teacher gos to Google and she ríghts expresó for children and she said that we can do it and I did it but it came expresó for coffee.

Can you please help me?
Thanks
Dec. 17, 2015, 6:37 am
Liza from Fort Greene says:
Ugh! White people!
Jan. 10, 2017, 12:10 am

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!