Bay Ridge Advocates for Keeping Everybody Safe Protest State Sen. Marty Golden over speed cameras

Light fight! Activists blast Golden over traffic cameras

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

These Ridge residents want state Sen. Marty Golden to smile for the cameras.

Over 20 Bay Ridge residents rallied outside Golden’s Fifth Avenue office on April 5 to protest the pol’s opposition to a pilot program that would install 40 speed cameras — which photograph the license plates of speeders and automatically send them tickets — at select intersections around the city.

The protestors were members of a pro-traffic-control group called Bay Ridge Advocates for Keeping Everybody Safe, and argued that the camera’s would cure the epidemic of car-pedestrian collisions plaguing the neighborhoodwhich has killed one woman and hospitalized another in the past month.

“We are not only tired of dodging reckless drivers — we are angry that our quality of life is impacted by the bad behavior of others,” said Barbara Cassidy, one of the speakers at the demonstration. “Reckless driving is a crime and it must be treated as such.”

But Golden’s office argued that speed cameras can’t be trusted. Aide Ray Riley pointed to a recent incident in Baltimore, Md. where one of the devices fined a stationary vehicle, and a case in Ohio where a judge banned them in a small town after they issued thousands of frivolous tickets — though he said he knew of no scientific study of the cameras’ accuracy. Golden said he wouldn’t even think about supporting the devices in New York City unless he saw conclusive evidence of their effectiveness and precision.

“If we can prove that the technology is sound, and document unequivocally that it will reduce speeding and fatalities, that would provide reason to consider the possibility of speed camera legislation,” said Golden.

But the pol said he agreed traffic safety is a problem, and repeated his call for the city to hire more cops to combat traffic violations. He also promised to propose a new law that would reduce the speed limit to 20 miles an hour and install new traffic lights, speed bumps, and stop signs near New York City schools.

Cassidy rejected Golden’s argument for more police, saying that new cops cost too much money and don’t stop speeders.

“We would welcome law enforcement to curb speeding. It doesn’t exist now,” Cassidy said. “But where does he plan to get money for more officers?”

Golden is a former police officer, and has long received endorsements and campaign contributions from the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association — the union representing uniformed officers — which has come out against speed cameras.

But the pilot program Golden has opposed in the State Senate would only bring cameras to a handful of areas near schools. None of the recent accidents in Bay Ridge occurred in school zones, and police said there was no evidence of speeding in the collision that killed a woman crossing mid-block near the corner of 86th Street and Fourth Avenue on April 2.

“It looks like it was just an accident,” the spokeswoman said.

Bay Ridge Advocates for Keeping Everybody Safe also supports another controversial anti-speeding plan — the city’s “re-envisioning” of Fourth Avenue, which would pare the thoroughfare down to one lane in each direction between 84th Street and Ovington Avenue, and raise a concrete pedestrian island on the south side of the 86th Street and Fourth Avenue intersection.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Eddie Mazz from Bay Ridge says:
Speeding Cars and Red Light Jumpers are the Biggest Threat to Public Safety in Bay Ridge. It happens So Often Even right in Fount on NYPD, Out Right Reckless Driving is Becoming Normal and Expected, This Madness Needs to End Now! The NYPD and most importantly the 68pct. Need to Doing Their Job!
April 8, 2013, 8:12 am
S from Brooklyn says:
Marty Golden is dead wrong on this issue. Unfortunately, it's the kids of his neighborhood who will wind up being dead as a result.
April 8, 2013, 8:37 am
Joseph from Bay Ridge says:
Golden needs to get his hand out of the pockets of the PBA and start listening to the people of Bay Ridge. The 68th Precinct is almost dead last among Brooklyn precincts in issuing speeding tickets. The patrol officers of the 68th are incredibly unproductive and the precinct commanders have allowed this situation to exist, and get worse, over the years. We need red light and speeding cameras now.
April 8, 2013, 9:11 am
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Look at all of these hipsters!
April 8, 2013, 9:16 am
Citizen from Earth says:
@T-Bone:
What's a hipster? Is that another word for "human being"?
April 8, 2013, 9:22 am
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Sorry, that was sarcastic. Yes, human beings want safe streets.
April 8, 2013, 10:09 am
Die Hipster from Pussified Bay Ridge says:
Need I say more?
April 8, 2013, 10:44 am
Or from Yellow Hook says:
At least this way, when idiots walk into traffic, we can watch it happen again and again on Youtube!
April 8, 2013, 11:50 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I do agree that enforcement on those speeding and driving recklessly should be enforced, but so should jaywalking. Many of the latest articles that talk about someone getting hit have constantly mentioned that the pedestrian was jaywalking in the beginning long before getting hit. Jaywalking barely gives time for the motorist to even notice them. Another reason why it's done so much is because they see the small fine is nothing more than a slap on the wrist in only encouraging them to do it even more. I betcha if the fine was raised much higher, they would be doing it less. If you want safety and other to follow the rules, start with yourself first before going to others.
April 8, 2013, 2:36 pm
Boris from Bedford NY says:
Tal, another thing that should be enforced are laws against stupidity. In my country we push people like you from helicopters. While in flight.
April 8, 2013, 3:22 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Boris, here, that would be considered murder, and I can hold you blood libel for a possible murder of the first degree just for saying that, plus go back to Russia if you don't like it here.
April 8, 2013, 5:15 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
"If you want safety and other to follow the rules, start with yourself first before going to others."

I assume that also applies to you as a driver, Tal, correct? And that we can personally hold you responsible for the actions of other law-breaking drivers, right?
April 8, 2013, 5:19 pm
JAY from NYC says:
don't know about this neighborhood, but citywide about 50% of pedestrians that are hit, are hit by cabs while walking in the crosswalk.
Seems like we could do something there that would have a dramatic impact on lowering numbers of people hit by cars, since cabs are 50% of the total problem and are by far the biggest part of the problem as well.
April 8, 2013, 6:04 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Chris, for the record, I already do follow the rules as a driver, so I am already way ahead of you on that, so now let's see you keep your end of the bargain and follow the rules as both a cyclists and pedestrian, which I doubt you will ever do, plus I can open up a betting pool that you and your anti-car friends will never do that.
April 8, 2013, 7:43 pm
Jane from Bay Ridge says:
I'm not sure what field Marty is playing in these days. More cops handing out tickets for running red lights or speeding = moving violations and/or points. Sure you want to put that on your voter's driving records?

There are traffic calming measures promoted by DOT which Marty can throw his weight behind to get implemented (and which the CB10 seems determined to vote down until the chalk outline is one of their own). These measures would deter speeding -- making life safer for pedestrians and drivers alike.

You can argue for days about whether or not pedestrian are more at fault than drivers but that accomplishes nothing.
April 9, 2013, 8:52 am
ty from pps says:
Tal - How's your 'blood libel' suit against Boris going?
April 9, 2013, 9:11 am
Chris from Bushwick says:
"I already do follow the rules as a driver"

Really? Let me get this straight: you're telling me you've never exceeded the speed limit, or double-parked, or perform a rolling stop... ever? You are one in a million, Tal!

"follow the rules as both a cyclists and pedestrian, which I doubt you will ever do"

I do, Tal, both daily as a pedestrian and as an occasional cyclist... the same way I'm sure you follow the rules as a driver: not to the letter of the law, but in a rational, safe manner.

"plus I can open up a betting pool that you and your anti-car friends will never do that."

Again, why do my actions have to speak for everyone else's? I don't get irrationally mad at you, or drivers as a whole, when I see a driver run a red light. I get mad at that driver. I really hope you've taken our past advice and have sought counseling for this irrational hatred you seem to have against anyone on foot or on a bike.

Most importantly, though, what does any of this have to do with the fact that speeding cars contributed to over a hundred deaths in New York City last year? Tal, I love that you get defensive when anyone calls you a troll. Virtually every legitimate argument against speed cameras has nothing to do with cyclists or pedestrians. Unless you care to bring those up, you're a troll, and nothing else.
April 9, 2013, 10 am
DriverCyclistWalker from Bay Ridge says:
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says: "Boris, here, that would be considered murder, and I can hold you blood libel for a possible murder of the first degree just for saying that"

Holy Incoherence -- this Tal guy is truly nuts.
April 9, 2013, 1 pm
Blood Libel from Jehovah says:
It's not blood libel if it's true. And I don't like Tal's type.
April 9, 2013, 3:21 pm
Tim from Bay Ridge says:
THIS is what we get for electing Marty Golden! I'm going Democrat next time
April 9, 2013, 3:24 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First off all, nice alter egos from some of you.....NOT! Anyway, I am getting annoyed of those who profile all motorists as being bad when that's really a few. It's not as if I profile all cyclists that are bad, just those who refuse to follow the rules and behave like victims to them. If anyone actually read in the articles addressing the accidents, you will find that the pedestrians that were hit were actually jaywalking, and that needs to be taken care of. I believe that all groups should be following the rules, not just a certain groups, which is just out of George Orwell's Animal Farm where only a certain group of animals were exempt from the law, while all others had to be subject to them. Until you practice what you preach, you have no moral legitimacy to your claims. On a side note, it's not trolling to address the others who never seem to act as if the rules don't apply to them while making everyone else follow them when they don't themselves.
April 9, 2013, 3:53 pm
DriverCyclistWalker from Bay Ridge says:
OK, so Tal is a Westchester troll with far far far too much time on his hands.
Got it now.
April 9, 2013, 4 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Actually, I was at my job today until it ended at 3 PM, while you made your first comment an hour before that, so you actually were describing yourself rather than me.
April 9, 2013, 4:57 pm
Jimmy from PH says:
OK. I thought this Tal character was amusing. But really he's just a little dumb, huh?
April 9, 2013, 6:50 pm
Jay from Bensonhurst says:
It's not just drivers. It's the stupid pedestrians that jay walk all the time. How many times have you seen pedestrians take their lives in their own hands and just jet across the street. They teach this to their children as well. Someone is bound to get hit. And that is what's happening. Pedestrians should be fined like they are in other major cities for illegally crossing the street along with cyclist who are color blind to every stop sign or red light. If you want a better way of life, stop complaining about just the automobiles and actually look at the bigger picture. Everyone is at fault one way or another.
April 9, 2013, 8:45 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
At least Jay from Bensonhurst gets what I am saying here, and I thank him for that comment.
April 9, 2013, 9:23 pm
Ed from South BK says:
Tal, please get a new hobby.
April 9, 2013, 11:29 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:

In English that means never
April 10, 2013, 4:25 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ed, that will happen when you start switching to decaff and stop commenting in the middle of the night when everyone else is sleeping, plus some of you really need to get a day job.
April 10, 2013, 2:13 pm
Hagit Barzilai from Pleasantville says:
Tal, get back in the basement and don't come out.
April 10, 2013, 2:23 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I can see that the anti-car crowd aka the Streetsbloggers have sunk to a new low by cyberstalking me and looking for names of my parents to impersonate when they are really making themselves look bad.
April 10, 2013, 5:07 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

Some of us have jobs that you could not begin to understand.

and you have been the definitive troll. Continually commenting on things you don't understand and that don't even remotely affect your life.

So go away and we will leave you alone.
April 10, 2013, 7:20 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Other Michael, I have a better way to solve your problems. Instead of making such attacks at me, you can just choose to not read my comments, because it's not as if anyone is forcing you to do so, but I know you won't because it's just too mature, and you like to use the internet to act like a child. Getting back to this issue, perhaps, the reason why Golden opposes placing cameras may have to do with the costs. Where is exactly is the money for this going to come from? My guess is that it will be from the taxpayers. Also, a number of police officers will be out of the job from the cameras. You may think that cameras are good, but in reality they may not be as great. I can remember when there was the idea to take out token booth clerks from subway stations in that they were mostly just sitting there, but other's claim that when there is a mugging, there will be nobody to call the cops for you when it happens, which is why they were kept. Just today, I saw a PBA ad in the NY Post, and it explained how many jobs will be lost if this happens. Still, I feel that all groups need to play their role when it comes to using the road, not just a certain group, and jaywalking is asking to go into harm's way. Then again, there will always be websites such as Streetsblog and Gothamist who will consider those people to be martyrs.
April 11, 2013, 4:15 pm
ty from pps says:
"Just today, I saw a PBA ad in the NY Post, and it explained how many jobs will be lost if this happens."

Tal - The difference here is that the token booth people actually did something, and then there was a change.

The NYPD does *not* enforce speeding or really any other traffic law. And they have no intention of starting. These cameras can't replace what isn't happening.

Which police will be out of a job if there are speed cameras? Which ones? Why?

But you know better. You saw an ad. Oh and jaywalking is related to cars speeding... how? You are so frustratingly stupid, Tal. I wish your mommy would take your computer away.
April 11, 2013, 5:55 pm
Amused in B R from B R says:

ty, you are engaging with a logorrheic troll who thought it boastworthy that his car
"happens to be a 2012 Honda Civic that I not only bought with my own money with a personal check, but also pay the monthly loans on with my own money."

His own money!! Groundbreaking.
April 11, 2013, 7:53 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
At least when I debate an issue, I don't attack the person, I just disagree with the viewpoint. Nevertheless, where is the money for the cameras going to come from, because I am not hearing anything about it? My guess is that it will be on the taxpayers, who honestly feel that their taxes are better for helping the public schools and hospitals rather than something like this. BTW, at the time Bloomberg wanted to build that Jets stadium, which lost in the end, the police were almost being forced to close down some of their precincts just to save money, though they manage to dodge a bullet on that. The reason I mention jaywalking is because many of the latest articles have actually mentioned that the pedestrian that got was originally jaywalking, which indicates that they were NOT crossing with the walk signal. Explain to me why that shouldn't be enforced especially after many of the latest accidents involving that. If you asked me, I do support enforcement, but on all ends, not just one, which is what the anti-car crowd seems to want only. On a side note, that statement about me buying and loaning my latest car is irrelevant to the discussion, and really sounds like nothing more than just a way to downplay me that I find nothing more than mudslinging that goes absolutely nowhere and doesn't even contribute to the debate.
April 11, 2013, 8:33 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

I want any and everyone who reads your comments to know misinformed and uniformed. you are.

In other words; if you don't like it when I call you an idiot, go away.
April 11, 2013, 8:39 pm
Frankie from Dyker says:
His uninformedness has gotten obviouser and obviouser. I honestly do not understand why a person from Pleasantville is so fixated on Bay Ridge. Or how he has time to post so much at length all over the place. 'Tis a mystery.
April 11, 2013, 9:23 pm
RS from Bay Ridge says:
I've lived in BR for more than 20 years, but it's only been the last few years where I've seen so many drivers running red lights. What's up with that? Sometimes I'll be in a car with the driver stopped at a light and the driver one or two cars behind us will suddenly swerve around us to go through the stop light.

What do you have to do to get the 68th precinct to take action? Why can't the police at least enforce the ban against over-tinting car windows? Many of the same cars speeding and otherwise disregarding traffic safety also have tinted windows.
April 11, 2013, 10:21 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
The real mystery is why you guys refuse to answer my questions. The first is one is where the money for the cameras is going to come from, and the other is why shouldn't there be enforcement on jaywalking, which has been found to be the cause of the latest accidents. Seeing that there is no answers does show how biased some of you really are towards cars. I won't argue about those that don't follow the traffic laws, but I can argue the same on cyclists and pedestrians who almost never follow the rules. BTW, some cameras have been known to report the wrong things such as those over in California who were mentioned to be running a red light when they claimed that they stopped and looked before making that turn, which is permitted on a red light, but they were still told to pay the high priced fine despite the fact that they didn't run the light anyway in that the same can happen here as well, so I can imagine the long lines at the Traffic Violations Bureau for that.
April 12, 2013, 3:11 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

1. The cameras will pay for themselves.

2. Because often Jaywalking is often safer than going to the corner. ... No turning cars.

3. There are not rights on red in NYC.

4. This article is about speed cameras.

now Tal, shut up and go away. You don't know what you are typing about.
April 12, 2013, 4:28 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Other Michael, I believe that statement as much as I believe Hamas are freedom fighters. Don't be surprised if a tax increase due to the cameras does come in. I still find it an irony that you want every motorist to follow every letter of the law, while at the same time you don't seem to mind the jaywalkers, which I tend to think of as selective enforcement. I know that nowhere in NYC except where permitted there are turns on red, but I was talking about the flaw of traffic cameras over around LA in how they made the claim that they didn't stop for the red light first when they claimed that they did but still had to pay the fine despite that. This would be another thing that wouldn't surprise me here as well when someone stops just over the stop bar, and that will be claiming that someone ran a red light even when that didn't actually happen. BTW, I have been talking about speed cameras, but at the same time other groups should follow the rules as well, so start practicing what you preach before you start going to others. As a matter of fact, I cans still remember when a lot of you brought up reckless drivers when talking about cyclists being ticketed for flouting the law as well as crying foul on that, so consider this a taste of your own medicine. More importantly, attacking the person shows how little you want to actually debate the issue, because you have mostly nothing to refute with, so you have to do so by mudslinging, which would really get you nowhere according to actual debaters. As the old saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen."
April 12, 2013, 4:56 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

I will discuss these issues with people who are trying to figure out how to make things better where they live and work. You are not one of them.

I don't want to debate you. I want you to go away.
April 13, 2013, 5:14 am
Rob Foran from Cobble Hill says:
Note to Senator Golden: Regarding the judges ruling in Ohio that you refer to, can you define "frivolous tickets"?

I can find nothing in the Ohio papers or in fact anything on the web to substantiate the claim that any speed cam gave out invalid or unfair tickets to drivers that were not speeding.

I wish you'd clarify...are speeding tickets considered "frivolous" because the speeders were only speeding a little?
April 13, 2013, 11:38 am
Rob Foran from Cobble Hill says:

April 13, 2013, 11:39 am
Me from Bay Ridge says:
Jay from Bensonhurst is correct in his comment.
April 16, 2013, 6:23 pm
Barbara from Bay Ridge says:
The real reason Golden is against any type of camera/surveillance in the community is because when his underage son and his nephews were drinking one night at Kettle Black and got into a physical altercation with some off duty police officers and fire fighters Golden had a concern that some street cameras may have caught his son entering and exiting the bar. In the end Golden covered everything up, the public and the press never learned that his intoxicated and underage son was present and that his intoxicated nephews were the antagonists -- screaming as they were pulled out of the bar "my uncle is Marty Golden!" I'm sure you probably also guessed that the off duty cops who got beaten up by the drunken antagonists were encouraged not to pursue anything with the police who eventually got involved. This is why Golden is against any "unnecessary" cameras and surveillance of any kind whether it be street cameras, speed cameras, or anything else. You never know what they may pick up. True story.
April 18, 2013, 2:41 am
Ridgeguy from Bsy Ridge says:
Golden is a joke and he's holding Bay Ridge back.
April 18, 2013, 9 pm
Al from Bay Ridge says:
The red light cameras are a plus for safety. More now than ever before, I have seen cars running red lights and speeding. These red light cameras are needed to help curb accidents and injuries of our children, seniors and everyone!
May 17, 2013, 6:05 am

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!