July 5, 2013 / Brooklyn news / Cobble Hill / Health, Mind & Body

Nurse association at Cobble Hill hospital takes unorthodox measures

Distraught LICH nurses turn to yoga, zumba to keep morale up

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Facing unemployment, the medical staff of Long Island College Hospital is taking a deep breath and saying ‘om.”

The New York State Nurses Association is asking yoga instructors, zumba teachers, and others to share skills or their area of expertise in order to boost the morale of the hospital’s caregivers.

Several weeks ago, the State University of New York defied a court order and amputated the trouble institution by cutting off ambulance service to its emergency room.

“In an effort to keep spirits up, we are planning classes at the hospital for the dedicated NYSNA and 1199 [union] members [who] continue to staff the hospital and are reporting for duty day and night,” said Michelle Green, a member of the Nurse’s Association, in an email to involved community members.

Eliza Bates, a spokeswoman for the New York State Nurses Association, said that the union was also going to be giving continuing-education classes for nurses at the hospital. Now that the state is diverting patients from the hospital, she said, nurses have some downtime, making these classes possible.

But why the exercise classes? It’s simply because the hospital staff could use some endorphins right now, she said.

“This is a very stressful time for the community, for the nurses, for the caregivers, so this is a time to work together to do something positive while still keeping up the fight to keep the hospital open,” Bates said.

A Brooklyn Supreme Court judge said that the State University was likely in contempt of court, which temporarily forbade the school from taking any action to close down the hospital. The state university, however, said that it needed to shut down emergency room service because there weren’t enough doctors at Long Island College Hospital to provide adequate care.

The State University of New York will have to prove that it is not breaking a court order at its next hearing, scheduled for July 15.

Reach reporter Jaime Lutz at jlutz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-8310. Follow her on Twitter @jaime_lutz.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Robert Camacho from Los Angeles, California says:
To the dedicated staff, and the WONDERFUL community of Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, and all of the surrounding area's: to whatever God you may worship, may he or she bless you all for your continued efforts to save LICH. You may wonder, what? Los Angeles? Here's why. I was born @ LICH, as were my 5 sibblings. LICH saved my life. Not with the ER, but with the opportunity to learn, serve, and survive. I became an American Red Cross Youth Volunteer, and served LICH, Station 21 in 1973. I was 14. My home life was horrible. I was a victim of sexual molestation from age 5 until I was 14. I lived on Bergen St between Smith & Hoyt. I saw what other lids my age were doing. I didn't want to have a part in it. I turned to the Red Cross. LICH kept me off the streets, and offered me the opportunity of a life time. The opportunity to survive. I remained a volunteer until 3 weeks before my 18th birthday, when I moved to L.A. The staff of Station 21 took me under their wing, and taught me everything I know today. As a result, I went into Nursing. My goal was to become a Paramedic, and or a nurse. While I was at LICH, I befriended the telephone operators, who taught me PBX. And as that result, I was able to land a job, not only as a telephone operator, but as a communications manager... at age 18. LICH has served my entire family, since before I was born. I absolutely am on board to help save an incredible institution. I am here, with you all, in the fight. And I will publish myself. My e-mail is protector85@gmail.com, and my phone number is 818 364-2723. So, let us all continue to fight. And I did become an EMT 2 @ a Level II Trauma Center, where I served for 22 years.
July 5, 2013, 5:18 am
julie from staten island says:
Robert, Im a LICH nurses & reading your comment almost brought me to tears thinking of how much this hospital has done for the community and part it has played in so many lives over all its years, now only to see how outsiders have swooped in to cannabalize it for their own pockets & agenda. LICH should be taken back from SUNY as it is not living up to its committment for it was given LICH - which was "to continue to maintain a hospital at LICH". It should be given back to this community and allowed to form its own plan ofr its future.
July 5, 2013, 12:05 pm
excuse me from lich says:
The slant on this article is a little bit off. "Distraught"? No, we at lich are not "distraught". Actually, we're disgusted by SUNY but energized because we have kept the hospital open, functioning, & saving lives. We're proud that we have not jumped ship and our patients are still coming to lich. Because of that, SUNY had to resort to the low tactics of sabotaging the hospital by cancelling the medical teaching program, removing the resident doctors, and then saying "oops we have no doctors - we cant let patients in". Dirty dogs. But surprise. We DO have doctors - Attending physicians - and fully staffed units. We're at the hospital 12 hrs a day and need something to fill the time in between all our #SaveLICH actions and until our patients are no longer banned from lich. De-stressing with yoga is a good way to pass the time. Hmmm, I could use a nice shoulder massage too. Ohhh and a manicure! I wonder if any of the local nail salons would like to set up a table in the park across the street from the hospital. "Distraught", no. That word is not even part of a LICH nurses' vocabulary, thank you very much.
July 5, 2013, 12:22 pm
lich nurse says:
This newspaper has not said a word about our fight for lich in weeks & after all that's gone on, this is what they come up? The nurses are distraught? That's so funny! If this paper had been reporting on us up-to-date, it would just have to take one look at us during any of our actions to know that we aren't distraught at all. I am not sharing this article because it's wrong & as a lich nurse I don't appreciate it. We at lich aren't distraught. We're just bored, but still fighting-mad and we're NOT leaving lich. We are going to make Governor Cuomo come to his senses. In the meantime, we might as well enjoy some exercise during this rare downtime.
July 5, 2013, 2:37 pm
Kelly from Cobble Hill says:
What's up with the governor? Why isn't he doing something about this? What did we elect him for? LICH is an institution serves the health and well being of everyone. I have witnessed my my relaxed, mixed neighborhood change to an super uptight white one. Usurious property values to match - a real estate office on every corner. The vultures are gathering to exploit LICH's property. Shame, shame, shame.
July 6, 2013, 4:40 am
marcia from long island says:
The governor and major are either sleeping or waiting to reap the rewards from the vultures at Suny Downstate, and he wants to be President. Ha Ha. They don't care about the people or the staff. This show they all work in hand. Politicians what a laugh. No one to trust. Crooks go to jail, but not these kind of crooks. They get away with murder. Is this what our younger generation is growing up under.
July 8, 2013, 3:40 pm
marcia from long island says:
July 8, 2013, 3:40 pm
marcia from long island says:
July 8, 2013, 3:40 pm

MetroPlus Roosevelt Savings Bank Coney Island Hospital Brookdale VillageCareMax

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: