Incumbent Councilman Vincent Gentile defeats State Sen Marty Golden aide John Quaglione

Veteran Ridge pol beats upstart challenger

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Bay Ridge’s 10-year incumbent Democratic councilman fended off a GOP attempt to push him off his perch — and will become the longest-serving member of the city legislature next year.

Councilman Vincent Gentile (D–Bay Ridge) defeated Republican challenger John Quaglione 65 percent–35 percent to win a third term representing Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bath Beach, following a bitter campaign.

“The hardworking people of the 43rd District have spoken and renewed my contract!” Gentile declared on election night.

Quaglione — an aide to state Sen. Marty Golden (R–Bay Ridge) — blasted Gentile during the campaign for seeking another four years in office despite voting against the 2009 measure that extended the two-term limit. But Gentile argued his newfound seniority would allow him to bring home more bacon to the district.

“I want to put my experience to work for you,” he told supporters.

The veteran pol has even raised the possibility that he might ascend to the powerful Speakership position, though Democratic Party insiders have dismissed the claim as merely a play to draw more votes. With Park Sloper Bill DeBlasio elected mayor, and Fort Greene councilwoman Tish James becoming Public Advocate, representatives from the other boroughs would be unlikely to elect another Brooklynite to helm the Council.

Gentile served for six years in the state Senate before losing his seat to then-Councilman Marty Golden in 2002. Gentile then ran for and won Golden’s vacant post, and has won re-election three times. He has chaired — and been the sole member of — the Council’s Select Committee on Libraries since 2006.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

John from Bay Ridge says:
Too bad for the District. There's a silver lining though. Recchia will be motivated to bring funding into the District in preparation for his run for Congress.
Nov. 6, 2013, 7:43 am
Scorceese from Tribeca says:
quagz looks like someone out of a 40s crime film. yuck
Nov. 6, 2013, 8:43 am
Aine from Ridge says:
John/Joe , how is a Democratic Councilman bad for the District ? He won against the the three repub amigos! Yes, I agree, Recchia must win the Congressional seat as we have been pushed around by the tea party who mostly sound like the former confederate states of America and have nothing but disdain for New York! They want to turn time back and dismantle the gains that working/middle class Americans achieved in the 20th Century.
Nov. 6, 2013, 9 am
Nov. 6, 2013, 9 am
Joe from bay ridge says:
When elections are over the smart thing to do is wish the winners the best and hope that you were wrong. I hope that the next four years bring about progressive change for the better for every neighborhood in New York City. I hope that the incumbent Council Member uses his seniority in the Council to fight for every dollar that this community deserves.
Nov. 6, 2013, 9:48 am
John from Bay Ridge says:
Joe, you're right. For the sake of the district I hope Vinny becomes an effective councilman. Based on Vinnie's past performance I doubt that will happen however. As to Recchia, he helped out our district with funding this year, and I expect that he'll do that again as he prepares for his run for Congress. Compare Recchia to Gentile and you have a stark contrast; Recchia is an effective council leader who can bring substantial funding to his own and nearby districts, and Gentile struggles to get anything done. I like Recchia for Congress; barring any unexpected surprises, I'll be supporting him against Grimm.

Aine, I can see you're an old fashioned party line guy. I don't give a crap about whether someone is a Republican or a Democrat. I care about performance and what someone can do for my community. Your approach rewards hacks who do nothing.
Nov. 6, 2013, 10:17 am
mmhmmm from bklyn says:
Aside from everything else, Q's campaign was an amateurish wreck.
Nov. 6, 2013, 10:40 am
Dot from dasssshhhhh says:
A win for the little man!
Nov. 6, 2013, 12:32 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
John/Joe , I don't give a crap that you don't give a crap! Oh, I'll vote for the "best man". What a buffoon! You need a united party to accomplish things,you know like the repubs who unite to say no,no no! Oh right , you are the "values" guy who takes the moral high ground. That is naive baloney!
Nov. 6, 2013, 12:48 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, well isn't that big of you! Please lose your alter-ego John although there is really no "stark contrast"! A rose by any other name is still a..............!
Nov. 6, 2013, 12:59 pm
BR4L from BB says:
Regardless of VG's seniority, he will not make a difference in the community/district.

He was in office for 10 years and focuses on non-essential items (most recently, eco-dock) as accomplishments. Hope no one gets in the water to go kayaking with the waste transfer station, not that far away. Keep in mind that he voted for the waste transfer station in 2006 and since has changed his mind because of the district lines were redrawn.

There have been several studies conducted (both by the City of NY and privately with M. Treger) which conclude that high levels of toxins are going to be stirred up in order to make the shore line deeper for barges.

His height has a lot to do with his insecurities.

Nothing good will happen in our district for the next 4 years.
Nov. 6, 2013, 1:03 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
Aine, you're a dope and a doormat for party hacks. Enjoy it when they step on you.
Nov. 6, 2013, 1:05 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe/John don't worry nobody will guess that you are BR4L since you dropped the 17yrs spiel and made it a TENNER ! Prreetttyy Crraafftty! Could it be that you recently discovered that you are infatuated with Randy ("Short People) Newman and that is why you have this axe to grind with Gentile?
Nov. 6, 2013, 1:18 pm
mmhmmm from bklyn says:
BR4L from BB says "His height has a lot to do with his insecurities."

The election is over. You can stop the cheap cracks now.
Nov. 6, 2013, 1:18 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: You're arguing with two different people. I'm not John or anyone else. I post with this name and this name only.

mmhmm from bklyn is right. The election is over. The time to hope for the best is now.
Nov. 6, 2013, 1:26 pm
Bud from Bay Ridge says:
Why does Gentile's daughter always wear flowers in her hair? What's the matter with her?
Nov. 6, 2013, 2:38 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Bud. Gentile doesn't have a daughter.
Nov. 6, 2013, 3:06 pm
Lance says:
The Marty Golden Era is on its last legs. Quaglione didn't even mention he was Marty's pupil in any of his campaign propaganda. Why? Because Marty got routed by Andy Gounardes last year in Bay Ridge. The Marty Golden chapter is about to close. This race was a proxy and a referendum on that. Marty is done. This is a new era.
Nov. 6, 2013, 3:28 pm
Queen of the Click from Bay Ridge says:
The votes show exactly how people feel! Wooohooo Councilman Gentile!

John or Joe whatever your name is above - you spent months jabbering on here. That's not how most people feel though. Go play with the losers - today we are celebrating such a big win in Bay Ridge!

I love Councilman Gentile because he is one of the few politicians who has integrity! He does whatever he can for people. I love the Ecodock and if you knew what could be done with the Ecodock, you would understand how great it is too!

(Bill deBlasio's daughter wears flowers in her hair to be fashionable. She's a cute girl - don't bother her, Bud).
Nov. 6, 2013, 3:41 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
John, I shouldn't even entertain your comment,but I have to say that I was right and you were wrong, stoogeboy! You proved time and time again with your buffoon posts that you are a small, egotistical no-nothing with a large ego and an unsophisticated thought process! That gold star that you brought home from 1st grade has long ago vanished! That's why you appear with a new moniker Boring Repetitive 4lorn Loser from Big Bozoville! Talk to you when you start shilling again! And yea, it hurts so good that Gentile was reelected and Golden and Grimm will be ousted soon! Yes, may I have another?
Nov. 6, 2013, 4:16 pm
Concerned in Bay Ridge from Bay Ridge says:
I am concerned that we see our elected officials every time their up for re-election!! We need to meet and talk to our elected officials so they can properly represent us not their parties interests or their own.
I'm not a Democrat or Republican, I vote for the candidate!!
We have a lot of issues in Bay Ridge and I have not seen Vincent Gentile in yrs walking the neighborhood so he can personally see our pain points and try to correct them.
My message to all politicians is that we need proper representation, we can't get proper representation unless you meet with your constituents on a regular basis and it does not have to be in a formal forum but in the neighborhood.
Nov. 6, 2013, 10:19 pm
The Expert from Park Slope says:
Smart move Quaglione to latch on to pedophile DA Hynes.

Stupid Stupid Stupid
Nov. 6, 2013, 11:08 pm
Realworld from BR says:
mmhmmm from bklyn says:
Aside from everything else, Q's campaign was an amateurish wreck.
* * *

Oh jeez, yes. I'm no Repub, but am a native NYer longtime pol-watcher and I almost felt sorry for the guy.

Late start, bad presentation, bad strategy/speakskills, so much klutzy attackattack, came across as a late-bloomin' junior who didn't get off the block much ... even lousy tweets (better to have none).

It's as if this guy got shoved forth, unprepped, to fill another's misguided agenda.
Nov. 7, 2013, 12:04 am
joe from bay ridge says:
At the end of the day we just have to hope that we all won. Campaigns are times to make your case for your candidate. While I do not believe the incumbent made a strong case for re-election, the voters gave him four more years. So now we should put our differences aside and hope and work for the best. I would much rather be wrong and see everyone do. Saying "I told you so" post election isn't satsfying at all
Nov. 7, 2013, 9:03 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe/John , I must disagree as I find it quite satisfying! So, now it's Rally Around the Flag time! So, I assume that you will be actively engaged in supporting Councilman Gentile for Speaker of the Council? RIGHT!
Nov. 7, 2013, 12:21 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: No one is taking him serious as a candidate for Speaker and he is not actively pursuing such a race.

Besides, since I am not an elected member of the City Council, I don't have a vote in that contest. However, if he were to become Speaker, it would benefit me personally as more funding would come into the district, so why wouldn't I be for it?
Nov. 7, 2013, 12:56 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: One last thing...what do you disagree with? You don't wish the incumbent the best?
Nov. 7, 2013, 12:57 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe " I told you so"! Quite satisfying! As you know there are many ways to advocate for Gentile to become Speaker without being a member of the council. You can correspond with other members of the council and tell them why Gentile should not be a serious candidate, and then WOLA , he becomes speaker !
Nov. 8, 2013, 8:35 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: If it were only that easy to become Speaker. Already the candidates for Speaker have raised and distributed hundreds of thousands of dollars for other members of the Council, they have sought and won the endorsements of unions, and have built coalitions. The incumbent hasn't done any of these things. He is not a serious candidate for Speaker - even he would tell you as much.

As for your "I told you so", you didn't tell me anything. I said all along that the incumbent would win. So I'm not sure where you're satisfaction come from.

I wish everyone who got elected on Tuesday the best of luck and hope for a good times ahead in this city.
Nov. 8, 2013, 9:07 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, Baloney! Yea, I know what you said all along, and of course you said the incumbent would win and that you were opposing him because of your superior values! As for, "I told you so", look back, they were your words, and like I said I found it quite satisfying! And no, I am not left with a " bad taste"(your phrase) just the sweet taste of victory that is probably even better than a home grown rooftop tomato!
Nov. 8, 2013, 4:03 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine. I'm sorry that you seem to have an issue with the truth, but I never claimed to have "superior values" or anything else for that matter. I did say that I am more progressive than the incumbent and that I would find a candidate who was not as conservative as he is. The judgement call is all yours.

As to your claim of victory, I'm not exactly sure what you won, but I hope you enjoy it. As for me, nothing that happened on Tuesday surprised me. Only 1 incumbent lost in this election cycle citywide. Elections favor the better known candidate, hence the reason we have the current government at all levels.

I will continue to wish the incumbent well. Maybe he is a late bloomer and we will see results in his last four years of office. God knows he didn't show us anything in his first 17 years.
Nov. 8, 2013, 4:45 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe/John, Good riddance to you , like the echo of a tuning fork in a cave! I must say that you could be a master of enhanced interrogation as you have a torturous persona ! SEE YA! Cause I'll not catch you later, I'm gonna get some rooftop tomatas!
Nov. 8, 2013, 5:49 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: Enjoy your victory!
Nov. 8, 2013, 8:25 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
Joe, Aine won a victory for party unity, or something like that. Anyway, he and the other people at the rest home are happy that voting party line returned their mascot to office.
Nov. 8, 2013, 9:55 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
THE ALTER EGO HAS AWAKENED! Or, ''something like that" !
Nov. 9, 2013, 9:47 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine. Do you even understand the things you write? What alter ego are you talking about? You're very good at making baseless charges, but very bad at backing them up. But, I guess blind loyality to a party excusses one of having to use reason and logic in their arguments. Its so much easier when you let others think for you

Congrats on your victory! The status quo is always so important to maintain.
Nov. 9, 2013, 9:55 am
ABSOLUTELY ! Thank You!
Nov. 9, 2013, 1:47 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, one more thing, your posts on Quag do Your Homework , you never answered my questions regarding our Men and Women serving our Nation in the Military ! You know the Americans you slurred, calling them "troubled teens" who you would deny the freedom to make their own choice in regards to tobacco or alcohol ,both are legal and taxed and stated that those prohibitions are not nanny state policies. So, do you still say that the voting age should be raised to 21yrs and 21yrs to join our Nation's Military? Skirt, skirt, skirt! God Bless Our Military, and please be sure to Fly Our Colors on Monday to Acknowledge and Honor the sacrifices that our Veterans endured for us and AMERICA !
Nov. 9, 2013, 3:21 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: If you I did in fact write what you claim it would indeed be insulting to the men and women who serve in the military. But, like many things you have repeated on this board, you have either purposefully distorted or clearly misunderstood my words. For the record, I will clear it up.

The military is not filled with "troubled teens" and I never claimed any such thing. I did say that there are some military recruiters who do in fact troll high schools looking for troubled youth. But, these recruits are not the only people who join the military. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I imagine that most people who enlist do so on their own volition with the desire to serve their country. Their service is honorable but no more so than a doctor, nurse, teacher, police or fireman.

You must admit that to be able to enlist at 18 is quite young. One cannot be a NYC police or firefighter until you are 21 and there are very few other serious professions that would consider an 18 year old for an interview. it is not an age that is regarded as mature in modern society.

Protecting the health of citizens is the most important jobs of the government. It is conservatives such as yourself, who dismiss this duty as an act of the "nanny state". Democrats and progressives have believed this for many years, hence the reason why it is the Democratic Party that fights for funding for the EPA (while the GOP wishes to do away with this agency). While the carcinogens that you mention are indeed legal and taxable, there use should be discouraged.

I again sincerely hope that you are enjoying your victory.
Nov. 9, 2013, 11:55 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, you must exist in an alternate state of consciousness. So, now that I played the sophistry game with you, I become a wing nut neo-con! You are absolutely hopeless. First, I am just a party line Democrat and now I'm a right wing nut! Which is it? And you did write it, but I have to say you are as slippery as a fish just out of the water! I am a Progressive Democrat ( in the Sen Sanders sense,since he is in caucus with them and you need a label) not a shill ,a fake,and a fraud ! By the way, you can enlist to serve our Nation at 17yrs with parental permission!
Nov. 10, 2013, 9:35 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine. There is nothing progressive about you. And once again I'm sorry that you have so much trouble with the truth. I never called you any type of nut and never used the phrase "neo con". . I only called you what you are - a conservative - who fights to protect the status quo at all costs and calls senseable government regulation to protect the health of its citizens "nanny state" measures (clearly straight out of the conservative playbook).

You have no problem with discrimination and even dismiss it as meaningless. You said as much with your vote last Tuesday and wrote it here. I cannot believe that you truly support Senator Sanders as he bucks your beloved Democratic Party establishment regularly.

Aine, there is nothing wrong with being as conservative as you are so just own it. I just don't agree with you, but that is what makes this country wonderful. You can fight for the status quo and a broken government and I will fight for progressive change.

As to allowing children to enlist in the military with their parents permission at 17, why stop there? Why not make it 12?
Nov. 10, 2013, 11:12 am
John from Bay Ridge says:
Aine, you are involved in arguments with more than one person. You seem to be very confused about that (among other things). Maybe it's time for you to stop making posts.
Nov. 10, 2013, 7:02 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!