Bay Ridge Nissan settles state lawsuit over dodgy advertising

Auto dealer forced to pay nearly $100,000

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Talk about driving a hard bargain!

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is forcing a Ridge auto dealership to cough up almost $100,000 for allegedly lying to car buyers.

Bay Ridge Nissan, located at the corner of 65th Street and Fifth Avenue, cut a deal with Schneiderman to fork over $43,341 to 15 disgruntled customers and $50,000 to the state to avoid criminal charges over allegedly deceptive ads and contracts.

“This agreement is a victory for consumers in Brooklyn and around the state,” said the state’s top lawman.

Consumer complaints led Schneiderman to accuse the car dealer of posting deceitful ads on Craigslist.com, putting out misleading promotions aimed at people who lost their cars during Superstorm Sandy, tacking unasked-for add-ons onto contracts, and tardy reimbursements of down payments when deals fell through.

The attorney general also claimed the Nissan dealer made a range of dishonest statements to customers, including that they would be able to cancel certain add-ons after singing a contract, that they were obligated to obtain financing through the dealership, and that they were required to take certain add-ons. The dealership also allegedly failed to provide buyers with the required documentation.

“Anyone buying a car should be able to expect that when they negotiate prices and terms for vehicles, the contracts will accurately reflect those terms,” said Schneiderman.

Each of the customers involved in the deal will get between $1,000 and $7,000.

A receptionist who answered the phone at Bay Ridge Nissan said the business would not comment.

This isn’t the first time Schneiderman has cracked down on a Ridge car dealer. In 2012, a judge ordered the Giuffre auto empire to pay out more than $500,000 after a successful state lawsuit alleged the family-owned chain had strong-armed customers into signing blank contracts and accepting unwanted add-ons.

The Giuffre Auto Group and Bay Ridge Nissan are not affiliated.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Jay from Bensonhurst says:
They really need to look even more deeply into this shady dealership. It's unbelievable the lies they tell their customers. The way they treat their technicians is horrible. The facility is managed based on the idea to rip the people off and they act like big shots throughout the neighborhood.
May 3, 2014, 9:18 am
Dyker Heights Danny from Dyker Heights says:
This dealership sent out fake recalls a few years ago and for the Altima. I went for the recall but my check engine light was on. I told them not to worry about the check engine because I had my own mechanic and to just perform the recall. They stated that is I don't perform the work to shut the check engine light off ( over $1000 quote) that I would have to pay $115 for diagnostic test and that they cant do the recall because of the check engine light. The mechanic came out and said that they can do a recall with the check engine light on and the suit wearing manager wanted to kill his worker for admitting the truth. I had to pay the $115 and no recall was done. I complained to 1800-nissan and they said there was no recall for my model and sided with dealership somehow . The fake recall worked and I'd never recommend that dealership to anyone. What a joke.
May 3, 2014, 1:35 pm
CROOK HUNTER from BAY RIDGE says:
why so surprised...the BAY RIDGE GROUP mastered the art of false advertising and the skill of contract switching since the 90s..among other things....never mind the ..pull they have with the 65th pct in bklyn that lets em act like urban cowboys in bay ridge
May 5, 2014, 4:17 pm
Mizz BR from Bay Ridge says:
I had a similarly nightmare experience at this dealer. Wish I had taken all the negative publicity more seriously. Take heed potential car buyers! Go ELSEWHERE!
Jan. 17, 2015, 9:48 am
Steph H says:
I'm currently going through a nightmare situation with them and feel like I need a lawyer! No management will return my calls or explain what's going on with my loan contract - all they do is text me and say : You need to pay $2500 in bank fees or we are going to call the Prcnt and file the car as stolen!! Unreal!!
Oct. 17, 2015, 1:02 pm
Naser shaon from Bay ridge says:
They told me same thing the car price was 13,295 but they force to take me coverage for next 5 years and after all together it's cost me 20,180. They are Lied me no adetion fees but hieddin fees are so much.
Feb. 15, 2017, 4:06 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!