Death by F train

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

An F train struck and killed a man lying on the tracks between the Fourth Avenue–Ninth Street and Seventh Avenue F and G stations, backing up train traffic, FDNY and transit officials said.

The Coney-Island-bound train hit the 28-year-old man at 9:15 am, and first responders pronounced him dead at the scene, fire officials said.

F train traffic was cut off between Church Avenue and Jay Street–MetroTech for about an hour on Monday morning, as was G traffic between Church Avenue and Bedford–Nostrand. Service was back to normal by 1:30 pm.

Comedian Jenny Slate, star of the movie “Obvious Child,” wrote on Twitter that she got stuck on a G train for two hours — and that the ordeal made her feel brand new in the end.

“After getting stuck underground for two hours on the G train I’m very happy to be free,” she wrote. “Amen. Holy s---.”

Later, upon being informed about the tragic cause of the delay, Slate took the messages down.

“Deleted my tweets about my G train delay today,” she wrote. “Very sad story.”

Police are withholding the man’s name pending family notification.

- with Jason Speakman

Reach reporter Noah Hurowitz at or by calling (718) 260–4505. Follow him on Twitter @noahhurowitz
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018: Updated to reflect the man's age and word from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority that he was lying on the tracks.
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Mom from Clinton Hill says:
This is a tragic event. The fact that commuters waited for 30 minutes before there was an annoucement of no train service and 20 minutes for the B48 bus which never came is a good indication of why folks feel so frustrated by the MTA.
Sept. 29, 2014, 8:36 pm
f train commuter from nyc says:
I was on the F train. The conductor did a great job of providing what information she could - "we have a problem with our brakes. The supervisor needs to check it out." And then there was silence for about an hour until an FDNY paramedic came through the train asking if anyone had a serious illness. And then about an hour later we made it into the station. It sounded like things were a little disorganized between MTA and first responders. Am posting here in hopes that they do a thorough debrief and look at lessons learned from this incident. I had complete faith in the FDNY to follow protocol and care for the safety of the people on the train, and wish I could say the same for MTA (with the exception of the conductor with the calming voice, a true professional). God bless our firemen. And prayers for the family of the gentleman who lost his life today.
Sept. 29, 2014, 10:30 pm
commuter from boro park says:
i was on the f train also yesterday and yes GOD bless our fdny the mta not so much . it was terrible very sad and troubling expierence, unfortunetly it was by our car that his remains were found my heart and prayers to his family
Sept. 30, 2014, 10:06 am
Friend of the deceased from Sheapshead Bay says:
Thank you for the kind words, all of our prayers are going out to his mother and father. It is a tragic moment in all of our lives.
Oct. 2, 2014, 12:46 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: