Two dead in motorcycle crash that sent them flying off Gowanus Expressway

Jose Chevere and Jalissa Otero fell to their deaths from the Gowanus Expressway onto 17th Street when Chevere lost control of his motorcycle early on the morning of Oct. 17, police said.

Don’t miss our updates:

A nighttime group motorcycle ride turned tragic early this morning when a biker and passenger plunged from the Gowanus Expressway to their deaths, according to cops.

Jose Chevere, 30, was piloting his Kawasaki motorcycle toward Bay Ridge at 2:05 am with Jalissa Otero, 24, riding passenger when he apparently lost control on a curve above 17th Street and Third Avenue and rammed into a cement wall on the side of the highway, according to a report. The collision launched Chevere and Otero over the side of the elevated expressway and both plummeted 36 feet to the ground below, landing on 17th Street, police said.

Responders pronounced Chevere, of Brooklyn Heights, and Otero, of Bay Ridge, dead at the scene, officers stated.

Friends of the victims said the pair were part of a group of six, two on each bike, when the crash occurred.

— with Steven Schnibbe

Reach reporter Noah Hurowitz at nhurowitz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–4505. Follow him on Twitter @noahhurowitz
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

What's your point? from Staten Island says:
The only fact that matters is that 2 people are dead and 2 families are devastated by the loss. Your inquiry as to how fast they were going is pointless and insensitive. Grow up.
Oct. 18, 2014, 1:03 pm
j from Brooklyn says:
The recommended speed limit for that curve is 25mph my condolence
Oct. 18, 2014, 1:56 pm
Peter from Brooklyn Heights says:
Certainly not pointless. They could have easily landed on a person or car, below. I was on my bicycle at the spot where the landed just a couple of weeks ago.
Oct. 18, 2014, 6:40 pm
Ashley from Brooklyn says:
The point is that I lost a sister , doesn't matter what and how by they are gone now , and for you people to sit here and talk about motorcycle racing and other irrelevant things, family's are grieving right now , so if you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything
Oct. 18, 2014, 7:19 pm
meaghan from Staten island says:
Some people are so ignorant. "Very lucky its only their families grieving a son or daughter" no you insensitive scum, a 4 year old is also grieving both his parents. It does not matter how it happened because i know for a fact if it was your mother, father, son, daughter..you would not be saying that.
Oct. 18, 2014, 8:21 pm
Melissa from Brooklyn says:
So sorry for your loss Ashley..RIP to the victims..
Oct. 18, 2014, 9:28 pm
Teacher from Sunset Park says:
My condolences. Some people are so ignorant. May her soul rest in peace and she now becomes her sons guardian angel.
Oct. 18, 2014, 10:59 pm
Mary from Bay Ridge says:
People should think before they enter comments, especially if they have family. This is very sad and it could happen to anybody in cars, bicycles etc.
Oct. 19, 2014, 4:25 pm
Shocked from By These Heartless Idiots says:
First, benefit of the doubt, somebody may be imitating ty from pps to make him look worse than usual.

But whoever it is, please just get some help or back on your meds. No one knows exactly what caused this accident. There is no mention of cause in the article, so if you think you read one, look again. And your accusatory judgment that this was somehow "antisocial behavior" is absolutely insane. These people were part of a group of six friends. Oh, whoever you are, you may want to look up the meaning of that word. One generally finds groups of friends enjoying social behaviors, not that you'd know.

Back to your mother's basement with you!
Oct. 20, 2014, 11:37 am
ty from pps says:
an·ti·so·cial
ˌan(t)ēˈsōSHəl,ˌan(t)īˈsōSHəl/
adjective
1. contrary to the laws and customs of society; devoid of or antagonistic to sociable instincts or practices.
Oct. 20, 2014, 12:45 pm
sadened from Brooklyn says:
So sad to hear about this tragedy.

I cried as I thought of my own motorcycle accident that happened at their age. Broken into pieces was my jaw, leg, knee, pelvis, and loss of movement in my foot, 5 years of corrective surgery and therapy, and my increasing difficulty today in walking and the pain that is growing.

25 years later, I still get nauseous and headaches when I hear of a motorcycle accident.

If you think it can't happen to you, think again, think about the pain, not only yours if you survive, but that of your love ones if you don't.

As a rare survivor of a horrific motorcycle crash, I can tell you that the moment of pleasure on your bike, isn't worth the fall.

My heart goes out to the family & friends. And I am hopeful that the other four will retire their days of riding motorcycles and realize it would be the greatest gift they could give to the friends they lost who like them never thought it would happen to them.
Oct. 20, 2014, 9:05 pm
K from S.I says:
my condolences goes out to both Families , So sad & yet so tragic , they were so Young & yet a whole life to enjoy & so fast and of blink of eye & just like that Gone , it is important to Love & Live life cause otero is my age & to know that Her Lil man will never see his mom breaks my heart cause I'm a mom myself and no parent wants to leave their child behind in such a sad Way.
R.I.P
Oct. 21, 2014, 8:22 pm
stefanie from Brooklyn says:
I'm sorry for your list ashely . I know it's hard and some people are jus ignorant pay any mind to them. Just be there forbyour family when they need you the most. And always look up to her she will always be in your heart
Oct. 22, 2014, 8:56 pm
J from staten island says:
it's sad to hear about such a tragic loss. Any death is a tragedy. Prayers go out to the families especially the 6 year old boy who lost a parent. It's very important to show love to those around you because you never know if you'll see them again.

With that being said, people need to take it easy when they drive and cautious with those around them. It could've been his fault or the fault of another driver around him that made him lose control. Either way lives were loss and maybe it could have been prevented. There are a lot of careless drivers out there. May we all learn a lesson through this tragic moment.
Oct. 23, 2014, 3:37 pm
a form brooklyn says:
jalisSA WAS A BEAUTIFUL PERSON THESE TWO BROTHERS WHO DROVE RECLESSLY LED TO HER DEATH BUT THEY JUST CALL IT A ACCIDENT . SHE WAS SO UNLUCKY TO BE WITH THEM. the brother will live on stupid as he is with his obssesion for stupid stuff like racing and not obeying the traffic law.
Nov. 17, 2014, 4:51 pm
Lisa from brooklyn says:
No words...
Sept. 12, 2015, 12:24 pm
Skeyes from Brooklyn says:
RIP to both the victims! I went to high school with Jose so if you don't know the ppl involved it's best not to judge. We weren't very close but he seemed to be a pretty decent human being. Well liked by his fellow classmates, it's very tragic so my heart goes out to the families.
Oct. 18, 2015, 10:50 am

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: