Finally! Designer creates kidswear inspired by the Park Slope Food Co-op

Egg on your face: Oeuf’s Foodilicious collection includes egg berets and other outfits inspired by the Park Slope Food Co-op.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

This lady wants kids to play in their food — their organic, sustainable, locally-sourced food.

A Park Slope clothing designer has created a line of children’s knitwear inspired by the produce aisles at the neighborhood’s iconic grocery co-op where she gathers her own fruits and veggies.

Sloper Sophie Demenge of earthy Gowanus kidswear company Oeuf was surveying the Park Slope Food Co-op’s healthy spread on one of her regular outings to the market, when she was struck with the idea to knit the organic goods into sweaters and hats for tots, according to a spokesperson.

“She really loves the food co-op,” said Oeuf spokeswoman Rachel Wepler. “She was at the co-op and thought, ‘We should do a whole collection on food.’ ”

The collection, called Foodilicious, serves up a cuddly buffet of egg berets ($70), eggplant pants ($104), carrot hats ($60), asparagus scarves ($100), and sweaters emblazoned with the word “kale” ($110), many hand-knitted with wool shorn from baby alpacas, according to the company.

Some co-op members find the fair-trade foodie duds a little unappetizing, claiming they push the quirk-factor too far.

“I wouldn’t dress my kids in that,” said Parker Lutz, who has a 3-year-old and 6-year-old. “The egg hat is cute — but it’s a little too cute.”

But others are delighted by the collection — one co-op shopper said she would happily plop the sunny-side-up cap on her 1-year-old’s head.

“My husband would probably kill me, but I would,” said Ella Brians.

Reach reporter Allegra Hobbs at ahobbs@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–8312.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Me from Bay Ridge says:
The carrot hat is cute but the eggs -- oh my!
Aug. 25, 2015, 5:43 am
C from Park Slope says:
Okay, this neighborhood has officially jumped the shark. Time to plan my exit.
Aug. 25, 2015, 9:33 am
Veggie Mike from Bay Ridge says:
If the clothing isn't edible, I don't see the point.
Aug. 25, 2015, 10:15 am
Anthony from Park Slope says:
Stupid idea with a big price tag.
Aug. 25, 2015, 11:13 am
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
If you don't mind my saying so, this could have an extremely bad ending. Please think things out before marketing them. I don't want to be walking in Park Slope one day to find a half-eaten child in a garbage can. What sane person would?
John Wasserman
Aug. 25, 2015, 1:27 pm
Sandy says:
I would report this as abuse. Those poor kids.
Aug. 25, 2015, 1:33 pm
Me from Bay Ridge says:
John makes a good point here.
Aug. 25, 2015, 3:39 pm
Mom from Clinton Hill says:
Pronounced uf.
Aug. 26, 2015, 12:48 am
Sandra Coleman from Park Slope says:
Is the yarn used to make these outfits organic, GMO free, non-cruelty, fair trade? I would consider joining this movement if not for the implied gender differentiation in the outfits. Does a seven year old boy really need to be told he is a "carrot" to be stuck into a girl dressed as "clam flesh" in a "squishy pink" beret when he might be going through a trans phase to be gender inderminate?
Aug. 26, 2015, 3:55 am
Really though from Reality says:
$70 so your kid can be called an egg head... I'll do it for $25...
Aug. 26, 2015, 7:53 am
C from Park Slope says:
I'd like to see a pawn shop- or cash for gold- kid's knitwear hybrid sold in the neighborhoods that haven't been gentrified yet.
Aug. 26, 2015, 8:18 am
Miike Pelletier from Gowanus says:
"Sandra Coleman from Park Slope says:
I would have appreciated a more progressive and less cis-gender privillaged take on my stupid outfits."

If this was a joke then you are hilarious.
Aug. 26, 2015, 8:26 am
Sandra D from Ridgewood says:
I find sprinkling a little bit of arsenic on my baby's cereal helps his fangs to glow.
Aug. 26, 2015, 3:23 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your community:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!