Sections

$1.7-billion BQE repairs will be most expensive in city history

Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

It is Brooklyn’s billion-dollar mile!

The city’s much-needed repair of the decrepit 1.5-mile Brooklyn Heights stretch of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will be the most expensive project in Department of Transportation history at a whopping $1.7 billion, according to officials.

That’s $17,887 an inch, or $214,646 a foot, or $704,225 a meter — anyway you measure it, it’s a lot of money for a short stretch of road.

The expressway’s triple cantilever bridge — a three-tiered stretch that hangs below the fabled Promenade and carries some 140,000 vehicles per day — is nearly 70 years old and already a decade past its expected lifespan, and engineers say it must get a makeover soon before things get dangerous.

The state controls the full highway, but the city is technically responsible for maintaining the tri-level thoroughfare between Atlantic Avenue and Sands Street, and Albany is refusing to kick in any cash — even though state transportation officials had been planning to fund and perform the repairs back in 2011 before deciding it was too expensive.

Local pols and officials are still hoping to get Gov. Cuomo to shell out some clams, and the federal government says it will cover some of the moolah itself, although it won’t say how much.

For comparison, the city spent a mere $600 million fixing up the Williamsburg Bridge in the 1990s.

The full reconstruction of the antique span could take as long as five years but won’t get underway for awhile. City transportation honchos began consulting with locals this summer and plan to release a preliminary design for the overhaul by 2019.

Repairs are slated to begin by 2024 and wrap up in 2029 — although they could kick off as early as 2020 and finish by 2026 if state lawmakers pass a bill allowing the city to use the same contractor for design and construction, according to the city.

Regardless, the triple cantilever will stay in operation for the entirety of the pricey reconstruction, officials promised residents at a meeting in November — Furman Street and three lanes of traffic on the elevated roadway open in both directions will remain open at any given time.

But parts of the Promenade — a popular spot for both locals and tourists to stroll and take in the skyline — may have to close during the repairs, agency reps said.

Some locals say they’d rather just tear the whole noisy, fume-filled structure down and build a nice quiet tunnel instead, but the city claims that would cost even more money and the bridge wouldn’t last the length of time it’d take to burrow.

City workers looked inside the cantilever this summer for the first time ever since the thoroughfare was built in 1949. Inside, they found the concrete had been worn down by freezing winters, and the structure could deteriorate even more rapidly with a few more frosty seasons, transportation reps say.

Reach reporter Lauren Gill at lgill@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2511. Follow her on Twitter @laurenk_gill
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Jake The Fake from Court Street Lawyer says:
And in the end it'll be the same old highway
Nov. 30, 2016, 3:45 am
Blogger Bill from from Boerum Hill says:
This is a State responsibility, on a Federal interstate highway, one of the 3 busiest in our
nation! Yes, the City paid for this portion way
back when owing to factors that don't apply now.
Please don't claim we NYC taxpayers are stuck
with this State child born out of wedlock. Where
did Brooklyn Paper get this false idea? Give us
the facts, please. P.S. this probably a $3 billion
project.
Nov. 30, 2016, 2:48 pm
Mike from Slope says:
Tear it down. The BQE is a nightmare.
Nov. 30, 2016, 6:42 pm
Misty Waters from Brooklyn Heights says:
Is this repair foward thinking? Maybe it won't need to be as strong when we all drive hover-cars?
Maybe the construction business is driven by organized crime, and they're skimming money from this project (we all know that's true).
Dec. 1, 2016, 4:17 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
How about those who want the BQE torn down tell me where they plan on relocating all the commercial traffic it is known for carrying?
Dec. 1, 2016, 5:12 pm
tunnel it from brooklyn says:
For this money, it's clearly better to tunnel from the Atlantic Ave ditch to the other side.

The Cantilever can be used as found real estate for a magnificent River Walk that would be worth as much as the cost of tunneling.

Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past. Let's tunnel it.
Dec. 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
Wise one from kings from Far away . says:
What is everyone worried about , im sure that the Dibliasio trolley will be built by then.You know the trolly that is part of Diblasios delusions .
Dec. 3, 2016, 9:16 pm
Adamben from Bedstuy says:
By the time their done,3-5 billion later, you could have had a tunnel!
Nov. 20, 2017, 2:25 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: