Sections

Shore thing! Developers buy landmarked Shore Theater, will reopen as entertainment spot

Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

They’re shoring it up!

A developer bought Coney Island’s long-neglected Shore Theater and plans to restore the 90-year-old landmark to its former glory, a source close to the developer said.

“The people of Coney Island can start looking forward to an amazing theater,” the source said.

Jasmine Bullard, daughter of People’s Playground land baron Horace Bullard, sold the icon to Pye Properties for $20 million last week, the Coney Island Blog first reported.

Representatives from Pye would neither confirm nor deny the sale, but it plans to announce the sale soon, according to our source.

The blog’s founder spoke with a manager at Pye, who said programming will return the theater to its Vaudeville roots.

“He said they want to bring it back to what it once was, which was live entertainm­ent,” said Michael Quinn.

The rebirth bodes well for the People’s Playground, which area businesses and political leaders have been pushing to become a destination in the winter as well as summer, according to one neighborhood booster.

“This is wonderful news,” said Boardwalk impresario and Coney Island U.S.A. founder Dick Zigun, who has long advocated for the ailing theater. “If Coney Island is on a trajectory to go year-round and build hotels, you have to have nighttime entertainment and that’s the place to do it, at a landmarked Broadway-equivalent theater.”

The theater was built in 1925 as the Loew’s Coney Island, according to historian Charles Denson. It housed Vaudeville acts in its heyday, he said. The Brandt Company took it over in 1964, and the theater started showing X-rated movies in 1972 in a last-ditch attempt to lure audiences. Harlem fried-chicken mogul Horace Bullard purchased the property in 1978 hoping to convert it into a hotel and casino, but the state decided against allowing gambling in the People’s Playground. The land baron put the building up for sale and let it sit derelict for the next several decades, drawing criticism from Coney Island advocates as the structure deteriorated and became an encampment of homeless people. Bullard died in 2013, and a 2015 announcement that the city would scoop up other derelict Coney Island properties that passed to his family reignited calls to seize the property through eminent domain.

It’s not the first historic Loew’s theater to be pulled off the historical scrap heap — the Kings Theatre in Flatbush reopened last year after the city hired a theater group to restore the iconic venue.

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Man from Newkirk Plaza says:
"...and let it sit derelict for several decades." I have no proof, but speculate that the Harlem fried chicken mogul (code for black) sought to upgrade or unload this property on numerous occasions. His attempts were probably met with derision and shrieks from NIMBYS.
Jan. 22, 2016, 2:07 am
man from Newkirk Avenue says:
Sorry, neighbor, but Horace Bullard was white and rather than being met with "derision and shrieks from NIMBYS," he was held up by his own greed.
Jan. 22, 2016, 10:01 am
Sean F from Bensonhurst says:
To Man from Newkirk Plaza:

Considering that the Shore Theater was a XXX porn theater for many years, even the NIMBYs wanted it sold and converted to better use.
Jan. 22, 2016, 10:26 am
Former New Yorker from raised in Sheepshead Bay says:
No, his father was African American & his mother was Puerto Rican.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/realestate/commercial/as-coney-island-stirs-one-mans-vision-is-unbuilt.html
Jan. 22, 2016, 10:27 am
Joe from Coney Island says:
So far this is just a rumor from an unreliable source. No official announcement has been made. Isn't it better to report something when it's a done deal?
Jan. 22, 2016, 10:43 am
Mustache Pete from Windsor Terrace says:
Richard Grayson from Williamsburg:
On numerous occasions I have noted Brooklyn Paper's poor grammar, as well as bad taste in crime reporting. Forget it. This supposed community newspaper doesn't listen and doesn't care. They truly think their careless use of language and cutesy approach is loved by all.

If it were still only in print, I'd put it under the pet bird. I do love Lenore Skenasy though.
Jan. 22, 2016, 2:45 pm
Man from Newkirk Plaza says:
After all is said and done, I can't wait to be entertained at the revived Shore.
Jan. 22, 2016, 6:04 pm
ITA BULLARD from New York says:
BEFORE PEOPLE PUT FALSE OR IGNORENT STATEMENTS ABOUT HORACE BULLARD THEY SHOULD THINK AND EDUCATE...
Horace Bullard had a dream a vision and fought the administration for decades put his heart and soul and money more than any one in NYC would do...!
I know.... I was next to him for decades as well...
I hope history will show Horace is one of the greatest contributors to a better NYC .For People to enjoy a CONEY ISLAND he would of been proud of...
Jan. 23, 2016, 7:43 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: