After all the political mumbo jumbo of the last 18 months, I thought I might take a foray into fluff and share thoughts on something less controversial — so here goes.
Fist pumping, going to the gym, tanning, and appreciating clean laundry was the legacy of Jersey Shore. It’s hard to believe that the show, which premiered on Dec. 3, 2009, celebrated seven years.
Although we said goodbye to the gang — which included Paul “D” DelVecchio, Nicole “Snookie” Polizzi, Michael “the Situation” Sorrentino, Jennifer “JWow” Farley, Ronnie Ortiz-Magro, Samantha “Sweetheart” Giancola, Vinny Guadagnino, Angelina Pivarnick, and Deena Nicole Cortese — in 2012, its legacy continues.
After a four-year stint, the language, tone, and culture of the Jersey Shore gave us a whole new vocabulary and perspective on Generation Y. The show provided new vocabs still used today on Twitter feeds across the universe that includes workds such as “Grenade,” “Meatball” (not at all what you think), “GTL” (gym, tan, laundry), and of course the ever-popular “Smush,” which in hindsight was the primary reason there was a shore house.
The reality show also put Seaside Heights on the map. No longer just a mainstay for Staten Island teens getting away for the summer, but now the whole world had a glimpse into the summer fun at the shore.
The two most notable success stories:
• Snookie parlayed her fame into spin-offs — DIY reality show “Shore Flip,” books, and various speaking engagements — she is now the mother of two and married to sweetheart Jionni LaValle, and has a net worth of about $4 million.
• And J Wow, who also starred in additional shows including “Worst Cooks in America,” penned a book, is married to Roger Mathews, and has two children. She invested in various product lines and has a net worth of about $3 million. Not bad for two girls without fancy advanced college degrees.
The rest of the cast has had its ups and downs:
• Mike “the Situation” Sorrentino hit a few lows since the show ended, including a stint or two in rehab, as well as tax fraud charges.
• Paul D has been in the reality show roller coaster, still spins a disc or two, and has released two singles of debut album called “Back to Love.”
• Ronnie Ortiz-Magro has appeared in a few TV spots and is otherwise living life along with dating Sammi “Sweetheart.” According to an article dated March 14, the pair are together again.
• Staten Islander Vinny Guadagnino is living the Island life on The Rock, has co-authored a book, and continues making appearances here and there.
• Angelina Pivarnick appeared in another reality show and released a single.
• And lastly Deena Nicole Cortese — other than being on the show and getting engaged this past year to boyfriend Christopher Buckner, she has faded like last year’s tan.
Not for Nuthin™ but happy anniversary Jersey Shore — thanks for the fun.
Follow me on Twitter @JDelBuono.