Sections

Delayed destruction: Officials postpone Sept. 24 demolition of old Kosciuszko Bridge

Still standing: Officials postponed plans to destroy what remains of the old Kosciuszko Bridge on Sept. 24, leaving the crossing in tact as they settle on a new date.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

There’s life in the old span yet.

Plans to blast away the remaining chunks of the former Kosciuszko Bridge on Sunday are postponed, according to police.

Officials were going to blow up the old span’s approaches in Greenpoint and Queens on Sept. 24, but the detonation was cancelled, according to Officer David Molina of the 94th Precinct, which covers Greenpoint.

Molina didn’t know why the date — which was originally set for the summer — was pushed back again. And a state Department of Transportation spokesman refused to say why officials can’t commit to a day and time to destroy the rest of the 78-year-old Brooklyn–Queens crossing, the center of which was lowered and shipped away on barges in July.

What remains of the beleaguered bridge will go out with a series of small, surgical explosions when the big day finally arrives.

Meanwhile, the first of two new like-named replacement spans has been up and running since April, and construction on the second, which is expected to finish in 2020, will start once the original crossing is reduced to rubble.

Reach reporter Lauren Gill at lgill@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2511. Follow her on Twitter @laurenk_gill
Posted 12:00 am, September 21, 2017
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Reasonable discourse

Pedro Valdez Rivera Jr. from Bed-Stuy says:
The original of my own childhood: RIP.
Sept. 21, 2017, 10:51 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I don't see why this bridge can't be reused for something else such as making it a pedestrian bridge rather than being torn down.
Sept. 21, 2017, 3:20 pm
Joe Ferguson from Brooklyn says:
There goes the whole argument for "it's quicker to do it this way". They could have had the whole thing down by now with a mechanical approach. It's not any quicker,safer or cheaper. It's just a dog and pony show/photo op for the Governor.
Sept. 23, 2017, 9:42 am
Joe from Greenpoint says:
Joe Ferguson,
Just what you said.
Sept. 24, 2017, 11:54 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!