Sections

Trouble connecting: Mayor, underlings publicly project different futures for waterfront streetcar scheme

BQ-axed?: City officials and Mayor DeBlasio described different futures for Hizzoner's planned Sunset Park–to-Queens trolley last week, forcing the municipal employees who questioned its viability to change their tune after the mayor ensured the project is still very much on track in a radio interview.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

They’re on different tracks.

City officials recently butted heads with Mayor DeBlasio over the future of his beloved $2.5-billion trolley that would run from Sunset Park to Queens, admitting reservations about its financial feasibility that they then recanted after their boss proclaimed on public radio that the project is rolling forward.

Hizzoner’s second in command, Deputy Mayor Alicia Glen, acknowledged on April 3 that studies of the streetcar scheme’s revenue model — which is based on the claim that the light-rail line will pay for itself with additional tax revenue earned from increased development along its waterfront route — are delayed, and that local leaders may be forced to consider dropping the project if research shows its bill can’t be paid by building alone, according to a New York Daily News report.

And a day later, a DeBlasio spokeswoman echoed Glen’s sentiments that there’s a chance the Brooklyn Queens Connector trolley — which the mayor first pitched as a system to serve subway-starved coastal neighborhoods in 2016, and has since earned the backing of several real-estate companies — may actually never get moving.

“The BQX can bring jobs and a brand new green transportation system to a series of transit-hungry Brooklyn and Queens waterfront neighborho­ods,” Melissa Grace said on April 4. “As we wrap up a block-by-block study, we are determining if increased tax revenue created by the project will pay for it, or if we need a city subsidy to make it work, and ultimately if we can move forward with this project.”

Two days after that, however, DeBlasio doubled down on his commitment to the Connector, claiming he’s no longer just looking for city cash to pay for it, but seeking support from the Feds. The mayor specifically called on Brooklyn native Sen. Chuck Shumer — whose daughter runs the pro-trolley group Friends of The Brooklyn Queens Connector, which last November revealed a prototype of the system’s streetcars — to help get money for the tram opposed by several local pols and residents, who charge it will accelerate gentrification and cause rents to skyrocket.

“It is a big, complicated endeavor and it’s certainly going to require some federal support as well, which is something I am very hopeful about, particularly because of the presence of Sen. Schumer and the role he plays,” DeBlasio said live on the April 6 episode of WNCY’s The Brian Lehrer Show. “We are moving forward but we have to get the exact details right. And we are going to have plan out going forward.”

And hours after Hizzoner assured listeners his trolley plan wasn’t falling off the rails, Grace fired off a modified version of her initial comment on it, recasting the statement not as a question of if the project will move forward, but how it will advance.

“The mayor calls it as he sees it, and what he sees is that the BQX can bring jobs and a brand new, green-transportation system to growing and transit-hungry Brooklyn and Queens neighborho­ods,” she said. “With a block-by-block study, we’ll determine the best way forward – including if federal or other public funds are needed.”

The mayoral spokeswoman later defended her revised official stance, arguing nothing had changed in the city’s forecast for the scheme.

“I don’t know that it changed. The mayor elaborated a little today,” Grace said. “We are moving forward but have to get the exact details right — a lot of moving parts.”

The trolley’s proponents turned up the pressure on DeBlasio following his reassurances, demanding on Monday that he prove the slowly advancing project will come to fruition before he leaves office.

“We are calling on your administration to take concrete steps to indicate that this critical infrastructure project will indeed break ground during your mayoralty,” the Friends of The Brooklyn Queens Connector wrote in a letter to Hizzoner that the New York Times first reported and this newspaper later obtained. “We are urging you to lay out a path — through community outreach and consultation, environmental analysis and additional engineering and design work — to definitively make that clear.”

Financial troubles, however, aren’t the only potential hazards facing the streetcar proposal, according to the city’s own transit experts, who previously warned that laying its tracks could complicate their looming repairs to a decrepit stretch of the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway because both infrastructure projects will unfold in Brooklyn Heights.

And now that state pols green-lit the streamlined design-build process for the Department of Transporta­tion–led makeover of the expressway, an agency rep said that work could start as early as 2020 — a year after DeBlasio initially hoped to begin building the light-rail system.

Reach reporter Julianne Cuba at (718) 260–4577 or by e-mail at jcuba@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @julcuba.
Updated 5:46 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

robert williams from flushung says:
the best and lowest cost and fast and easy to build is a overhead tram, above the traffic moving and not blocked by any traffic at all can be installed in months not years.
April 10, 3:42 pm
BKLYN GUY from Far away says:
Just a quick note, this is never going to happen never , that's it but just keep on dreaming and spending money on research.
April 10, 6:16 pm
Gargoyle from Newkirk Plaza says:
Thought this project had been quietly squashed.. Instead, how about extending PATH from the World Trade Center to Atlantic Terminal? And what about running a train over the Verrazano Bridge?
Brooklyn needs better connections to the outside world.
April 11, 12:08 am
Tony from Carroll Gardens says:
Extending the PATH from WTC to Atlantic Terminal makes no sense. Atlantic Terminal is already served by nearly a DOZEN Subway lines and multiple bus routes. Its
April 11, 5:18 am
Frank from Furter says:
There was a plan to extend the LIRR from Atlantic terminal to WtC by taking over the A train tunnel to.manhattan for the long island wall street employees..a an that for about 40000 long island employees would I convenience a lot more brooklynites..it thank fully died
The R train runs now directly from Atlantic yards to the wtc stop. Path trains are not compatible with the ny subway system. You would get more bang for the buck by extending the 1 train to red hook and industry city...better the idiotic bqx
April 11, 1:16 pm
BrooklynGersh from The WT says:
Let's be clear: This is a $2.5-billion BUS LINE. Sure, it happens to be on rails, but without a dedicated right of way, it's a BUS.

We already have buses.

We need more subway options.
April 11, 3:35 pm
Frank from Furter says:
It's a trolley! Agreed we need more mass fast transit. One of the innovations of the new York subways is express trains...You can do the bqx for a tenth of the price with buses.
April 11, 3:46 pm
TOM from Sunset Park says:
This trolley line can't function without forcing all the trucks off their truck routes at the waterfront/industrial areas(IDZs) and inland into the residential neighborhoods. Ooh. That will hurt.
April 11, 8:42 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Just like congestion pricing, this idea should just be placed in the coffin already rather than continue to be up for discussion.
April 12, 5:42 pm
Gargoyle from Newkirk Plaza says:
"Sensible" Tony---- Extending PATH to Atlantic Terminal would create a one train ride from Brooklyn to New Jersey and vice versa for thousands of workers, students, residents and tourists.
April 13, 12:07 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
There was a talk at one point of extending the Atlantic Avenue branch of the LIRR to the WTC station about a decade ago, but I think that idea was shelved and most likely won't happen.
April 14, 5:45 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: