A Flatbush man could spend up to 25 years behind bars after a jury found him guilty of shooting and wounding a bystander during a fracas outside the Barclays Center last year.
Sending defendant Jonathan Cordoba, 30, behind bars following his Nov. 28 conviction on the top count of first-degree assault will make the borough a safer place, according to District Attorney Eric Gonzalez.
“This defendant fired numerous shots in the middle of the day in a busy area, endangering scores of innocent people,” said the top prosecutor. “Luckily no one was killed. This verdict underscores our commitment to the safety of the people of Brooklyn.”
Cordoba, 30, got into an argument with another man on Flatbush Avenue near the Prospect Heights arena at 2:05 pm on June 14, 2017, when he pulled out a gun and started shooting at his rival, according to Gonzalez.
But the Flatbush resident failed to send a bullet into his intended target, and instead struck a 50-year-old bystander in the ankle, Gonzalez said.
Police caught up with Cordoba a week later, on June 21, using surveillance footage to track him down, prosecutors said.
Cordoba is expected to return to court for sentencing on Dec. 12.
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.