Sections

L-pocalypse no! Gov pulls plug on 15-month L closure, reveals new plan that allows continued service

Unbelieveab-L: Gov. Cuomo announced the L train will no longer shutter Brooklyn–Manhattan service in April to accomodate 15 months’ worth of repairs, and instead will run reduced service along the line during a newly adopted fix that transit leaders said may take as long as 20 months to complete.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

L no!

Gov. Cuomo on Thursday abruptly announced the L train will not close for 15 months in April, upending the planned reconstruction project that state and city transit leaders for years warned Brooklynites would wreak havoc on their commutes.

The new plan no longer requires the two Brooklyn–Manhattan tunnels inside the line’s superstorm Sandy–ravaged Canarsie Tube to close for the duration of the job. Instead, workers will spend nights and weekends repairing one tunnel at a time, leaving the other free for L trains to travel their entire route, Cuomo said.

“With this design it would not be necessary to close the L train tunnel at all, which would be a phenomenal benefit to the people of New York City,” he said during a press conference at his 38th-floor office inside a Manhattan skyscraper. “There would need to be some night and weekend closures of only one tube, so service would still work because there are two tunnels.”

The scheme will still kick off in April, according to the governor, who did not say if it will begin on the previously set date of April 27 in announcing the change.

And it may only take five more months than the 15 that transit leaders expected the so-called L-pocolypse to last, according to the acting chairman of the state-run Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s board Fernando Ferrer, although Cuomo refused to promise the new approach would wrap in 20 months.

State transit officials back in 2016 began prepping locals for the closure, floating two options for the fix: completely shuttering the Canarsie Tube for 18 months to repair it, or drastically cutting service on the line in order to slowly restore the infrastructure over three years.

The newly adopted Tube-repair plan is based on similar work done in Europe and Saudi Arabia, but the scheme is new to the United States, and has yet to be implemented on a rail-line tunnel, Cuomo and transit officials said.

And it will shave more than a year off the prior timeline for repairing the Tube while running reduced service on the line, because workers will install brand new electrical cables along the sides of the two tunnels instead of removing and rebuilding the so-called bench walls that now enclose the storm-damaged cables, according to the governor and the engineering experts he recently toured the Tube with.

Officials couldn’t immediately say whether all of the previously announced alternative-commuting options during the closure — which included more service on other subways, a dedicated Williamsburg–Manhattan ferry, new bike paths and bus routes, and a high-occupancy vehicle lane across the Williamsburg Bridge — will still roll out as planned.

But Metropolitan Transportation Authority bigwig Andy Byford, who oversees the state-run agency’s local arm, the New York City Transit Authority, said officials will likely still boost service on some subways including the M and G trains, but scrap the planned ferry service and the high-occupancy vehicle lane.

And the fate of the new bus routes will be announced after Byford discusses their necessity with city Department of Transportation bigwigs, he said.

The news came weeks after the governor took his late-night trek through the Tube with the pro-bono experts to ensure there was no way to speed up the job that his own administration spent years preparing for, and stunned straphangers across the borough and beyond — especially after Cuomo told locals not to get their hopes too high following his time underground.

But the last-minute changes still need to be approved by Authority board members, according to the governor, who pushed the panel to hold an emergency meeting to review the new scheme.

“I urge the MTA board to review the alternative plan, allow the public to comment on the plan, and, in its discretion, to commence a revised plan if that is its conclusion,” Cuomo said in a statement following his announcement.

And the new proposal may also require the sign off of the governor’s frequent political rival President Trump, because the Feds are footing the bill for part of the massive project.

Reach reporter Julianne Cuba at (718) 260–4577 or by e-mail at jcuba@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @julcuba. Reach editor-in-chief Anthony Rotunno at (718) 260–8303.
Updated 4:43 pm, January 8, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

MJ from Bay Ridge says:
This is bad news for UBER drivers
Jan. 3, 5:53 pm
L TRAIN says:
I'm shocked there hasn't been a "spandex" or "hipster" comment posted yet by some overweight dullard.
Jan. 3, 6:06 pm
The Hunkster from Bed-Stuy says:
The power of residential 'Davids' prevails over the governmental 'Goliaths.' There goes over two and a half years of our own busy lives.
Jan. 3, 7:48 pm
Frank from Furter says:
Now if they can only do that for the triple cantilever.
Jan. 4, 9:51 am
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
Pure political pandering... his entire campaign for governor was "I hate Trump" and this is just a way for him to try to undo the fact that he has screwed NYC over and over from Albany.
Jan. 4, 10:38 am
Ben Dover from Cobble Hill says:
L TRAIN says: "I'm as dull as dishwater, and I can't fit into my spandex because of my huge hipsters."
Jan. 4, 11:09 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Sorry, the creative destruction of 14th street has been cancelled. No, you can not create a busway over a running subway line just to torture drivers. Too bad your dreams have been crushed. Perhaps go back to your cul de sacs and create some traffic problems there.
Jan. 5, 11:54 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
LOL, I'm probably the fattest loser in Bay Ridge to get off on car exhaust. Don't forget to vote democrat as much as possible, folks.
Jan. 7, 6:01 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: