Sections

District Attorney spars with NYPD over increase in northern Brooklyn shootings

District Attorney Eric Gonzalez is fueding with Police Department brass over his jail-diversion program for youthful gun offenders.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Tensions are flaring amid Kings County law enforcement, as police brass blame District Attorney Eric Gonzalez for an uptick in gun violence in some parts of the borough — despite a Brooklyn-wide decrease over last year.

The fuse ignited at a Manhattan press conference on July 8, when Chief of Department Terence Monahan blamed Gonzalez for failing to keep gunmen locked up.

“We’re getting the guns off the street. We’re upping gun arrests. What we need is that after that gun arrest is made, that person stays in jail,” he said. “When we look at Brooklyn — for the gun prosecutions — it has the least amount of time of any of the boroughs in the city, per gun conviction.”

According to Monahan, shootings in Brooklyn North — a designation that includes Crown Heights, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and East New York, among others — have increased from 79 to 101 year-to-date.

And the chief aimed his criticism specifically at the Brooklyn prosecutor’s youth diversion program, where offenders between the ages of 14 to 22 who plead guilty to weapons-possession charges can partake in a 18- to 24-month educational program as an alternative to incarceration.

“[This year] out of 158 guilty pleas on gun indictments, 30 percent — or 47 cases — will be dismissed or sealed due to a diversion program,” he said. “I don’t believe that 30 percent of every gun arrest, where a cop puts his life on the line to take a gun off the street, should have their case sealed.”

Monahan gave two examples where police were forced to arrest convicts enrolled in the DA’s diversion program on subsequent firearms charges.

“Two of the individuals who were put into the program were re-arrested shortly thereafter with guns,” he said.

A spokesman for the District Attorney’s office disputed Monahan’s statistics, and said they’ve accepted 429 gun-possession guilty pleas since 2018, with only 11 percent — or 55 cases — resulting in defendants being admitted to the diversion program.

The program has been linked to an improvement in public safety, according to a spokesman, who noted a direct correlation between enrollment in the DA’s diversion course and the borough’s safest year on record.

“[The program] has been utilized by the Brooklyn DA’s Office for over a decade, corresponding with a steady decline in shootings, which reached a historical low in 2017, the year with the most diversion admissions to date,” he said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio weighed into the discussion on Monday, siding with the Police Department’s concerns about the diversion program for gun convictions.

“It’s been an ongoing conversation with district attorneys since the beginning of this administration — we need them to be resolute in gun prosecutio­ns,” de Blasio said. “I agree with Chief Monahan. The men and women of the NYPD put their lives on the line, and they get these guns off the streets. It’s supposed to mean something.”

The Mayor noted his support for criminal justice reform, but took exception with reducing sentences for those guilty of weapons possession.

“We should not confuse the goal of diversion — which, for nonviolent offences is a valuable tool that has allowed us to reduce our jail population and help people get back on the right track,” said de Blaiso. “But when a gun is in the equation... it’s a whole different ball game. When there’s a gun, there should be follow through by prosecutors.”

The DA’s spokesman hit back, arguing that the program — which applies only to those guilty of possessing, but not using, a firearm — allowed Brooklyn youth to avoid a future life-of-crime that awaits many ex-inmates.

“An analysis by the State’s Department of Criminal Justice Services found that only 7 percent of [program] graduates were convicted of a felony within three years — a much lower recidivism rate than that of their counterparts who were sent to prison,” he said.

The District Attorney’s office also pointed out that the program is applied borough wide — where shootings have decreased from 143 to 141 year-to-date — as evidence that Monahan’s attempt to link the uptick in shootings in Brooklyn North to the diversion program were counterfactual.

Rather than spend their time criticizing the program, the District Attorney’s office said the Police Department should focus on closing open cases.

“The real problem isn’t diversion, but the fact that approximately 67 percent of shootings and homicides in Brooklyn North remain unsolved, leaving violent individuals on the streets,” said the spokesman.

And, despite objections from Monahan and the Mayor, Gonazalez’s office plans to grow the program further.

“Given this record of success and enhanced public safety, we are investing resources on expanding and improving this program,” a spokesman said.

Reach reporter Aidan Graham at agraham@schnepsmedia.com or by calling (718) 260–4577. Follow him at twitter.com/aidangraham95.
Updated 12:38 pm, July 15, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Carmela La Rousé says:
Is this Latino-phobia? Fear of latinos?
July 12, 3:17 am
t from bath beach says:
If you live in Queens and you are reading this article, just wait till your new DA takes office. It will make Brooklyn violence seem like a walk in the park, once everyone in Queens gets cash free bail or diversion on almost but the most violent stuff like murder.
July 12, 12:50 pm
jbullock from the hood gentrified says:
This issue needs a multi agency approach and not just youth bashing and DA bashing. One issue there should be a change in legislation about carrying dismantled gun parts not being deemed as possession. The other issue if the minor is gang affiliated? NYPD needs to understand the arrest does not always mean convictions. Guns are a danger in every community and under every circumstance but remember it is the innocent members of the Black and Latin community who are than likely injured by stray bullets, etc
July 12, 2:29 pm
Robert Berrios from Red Hook says:
If the DA want crime to go down Stop releasing these criminals back out on the Street with a Slap on the hand. The NYPD is not to blame it's the DA Office wanting to be these Criminals friends.
July 12, 6:27 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Cy Vance is a true scumbag, he tried to reduce epstain's sex offender status. Cy Vance must go!
July 12, 6:45 pm
Honey P from Willy B says:
Latiño phobia! But this HONEY has Latiño pride!!! That’s right baby!
July 12, 7:07 pm
SCR from Realityville says:
Apparently,we now have the answer,to my question. Accept,it or not,the NYC's Zero-tolerance,anti-Gun laws;are being chipped away at. If you have"diversion programs",for 14,15,16,17 years-old youths;etc;(instead of prison)-than there is certainly,arguments,for NOT automatically imprisoning;otherwise law-abiding 41,51,61,71 years-old,who claim they possess;a gun for self-denfense. Or even claim ignorance,of the local firearms laws. Before,you know it,our city;will have a lot more guns-in circulation. This always leads to more gun violence. Especially so,in urban areas.
July 12, 8:10 pm
Naomi says:
He cares more about the criminals than the victims! He’s acting like a mole in the office. Look into his background, his family. He’s more linked to criminals and gangs than to law-abiding citizens. Emphasis on citizens.
July 13, 3:41 am
Ann Chilada from El Torito says:
Gonzalez needs to switch from Chimichangas to Vegan Burrito Bowls, just saying
July 13, 8:44 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: