Sections

Child sex abuse lawsuits pile up in Brooklyn following passage of new law targeting predators

Accused: A new lawsuit accuses a clergyman of childhood sexual abuse at Saint Peter’s-Our Lady of Pilar Church in Cobble Hill in 1976.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Eighty-seven victims of childhood sexual abuse filed lawsuits in Brooklyn Supreme Court within the first month following the enactment of the Child Victims Act, a new law that gives abuse survivors a renewed chance to seek justice against predators and the organizations that aided their assaults.

Last week, 10 victims — using pseudonyms to shield their identities — filed separate lawsuits against the Catholic Church’s Brooklyn Diocese and multiple Brooklyn-based clergymen, claiming they were abused between 1950 and 1980.

One victim accused now-deceased Father Patrick Fursey O’Toole of sexually abusing him at St. Ann’s Church in Dumbo, which has since been demolished, when the plaintiff worked at an Altar boy between the ages of nine and 18, according to court documents.

The new allegations against O’Toole are the first ones leveled against the priest, according to Diocese spokeswoman Adriana Rodriguez, who declined to speak further on the specifics of that case because of the ongoing litigations.

Another victim claims that he was abused in 1962 by Brother Julio Ortiz when he was an 11-year-old student at the now-defunct Saint Peter’s-Our Lady of Pilar Church in Cobble Hill in 1976, according to court documents.

The accusers, who are identified in court documents as ‘John Doe,’ claim that Diocese leaders failed to take basic precautions to prevent the alleged actions — claiming that they either knew or should have known about the abuse, the lawsuits allege.

But Rodriguez fired back, claiming they have a “zero tolerance” policy in place that mandates the removal of any clergy member credibly accused of sexually abusing a minor.

The Diocese spokeswoman also highlighted the restorative steps that they have taken to rectify any past wrongs, including voluntarily publishing a list of credibly accused clergy earlier this year and financially compensating hundreds of victims.

“To date, the diocese has worked with nearly 500 victims and paid over $90 million in settlements through its Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program,” said Rodriguez. “The Diocese of Brooklyn has apologized to victims who have suffered due to sexual abuse by clergy. And we have worked to make amends.”

The law firm representing the newest batch of victims, Jeff Anderson & Associates, have filed 262 lawsuits against the Catholic Diocese statewide — including 36 lawsuits in Brooklyn, according to the firm.

The firm’s chief legal eagle praised the survivors for their courage in holding the church accountable for its failure to protect its most vulnerable members.

“Survivors are the ones — through their truth, through their voice, and now through this law — that are shining the bright spotlight on the dark and dangerous practices so long employed by Catholic Bishops, who failed to protect kids the way that they deserve to be protected,” said Jeff Anderson. “It’s a new day.”

The plaintiffs are suing under the Child Victims Act that took effect on Aug. 14, and provides victims who were abused as minors with a 365-day “looks back window” to circumvent statute of limitations restrictions and file lawsuits against their abusers — regardless of when the abuse occurred.

The law, which was first passed by the state legislature and signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Feb. 14, has prompted 694 lawsuits across New York State since it took effect last month.

Reach reporter Aidan Graham at agraham@schnepsmedia.com or by calling (718) 260–4577. Follow him at twitter.com/aidangraham95.
Updated 1:46 pm, September 17, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Father Keith O'Reilley says:
Of course ! This law has brought all the scammers out of the woodwork. They just want a piece of the Catholic Church's sweet sweet pie. They have dollar signs in their eyes, and they are lying. How can anyone prove what did or didn't happen decades ago? It's free season to just accuse whoever you feel like.
Sept. 17, 2:44 am
Ace from Bath Beach says:
One sad aspect is that all the law firms will take cases on contingency against organizations but they won't touch cases against individuals because the individual does not have enough money to make it worthwhile for them.
Sept. 17, 10:11 am
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
Father Keith O'Reilley, The Church has nobody to blame but themselves. This is why I stopped giving to the Church.
Sept. 17, 1:06 pm
BoFiS from Ditmas Park says:
I think the sheer number of cases coming out of the woodwork now shows how we need to change the laws to remove any statute of limitations on sexual assaults so that all victims may come forward now and in the future when they are ready!
Sept. 17, 3:51 pm
Some old white guy from Marine park says:
I only pray that hell exists for anyone that abuses a child, Amen
Sept. 17, 5:11 pm
Jack Ed from Dumbo says:
Shame on this organization they took the innocence and spirituality away from generations of children that helped create a society of hurt confused and upset people for the sake of their pleasures
Sept. 20, 12:36 am
Local from Here says:
Father Keith O'Reilley should be investigated at once!
Sept. 21, 3:16 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: