Suspect nabbed in brutal Kensington murder • Brooklyn Paper

Suspect nabbed in brutal Kensington murder

Nearly beheaded: Store owner Mahuddin Mahumd was found dead with gruesome injuries, including burns on his face and deep gashes on his neck, in the basement of his store on McDonald Avenue in Kensington just after midnight on Jan. 7.
Photo by Elizabeth Graham

The suspect in a brutal Kensington murder was nabbed by cops Tuesday as he tried to flee the country, according to police.

Mohammed Siddiquee faces murder charges in the near-beheading of his landlord, Mahuddin Mahumd — a crime to which he allegedly confessed, according to a report in our sister publication the New York Post.

“I killed someone today,” Siddiquee blurted out when he was arrested, sources told the Post.

Mahumd who was found shortly after midnight Tuesday by his wife and son in the basement office beneath his McDonald Avenue jewelry and electronics store.

His family found him dead, with burns on his face and gashes cut so deep into his throat that his head hung from his body by only a few threads of flesh, according to the Post. They went in search of him when he didn’t come home from work Monday evening.

“He’s my father right. I don’t know why this happened or why someone would do something like this. Someone killed him,” Humayun Rahman, told the Post.

Siddiquee, the tenant of a McDonald Avenue apartment Mahumd owned, went missing after the murder, but the police caught up with him at about 8:30 pm Tuesday at John F. Kennedy Airport, where he had purchased a $1,200 one-way ticket to Kuwait.

The suspect was also caught in possession of debit cards holding balances totaling $24,000 that police believe were stolen from Mahumd’s office safe, the Post reported.

Siddiquee allegedly made a video-taped confession in which he claimed Mahumd constantly humiliated and teased him, according to the report.

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.
Flight risk: Mohammed Siddiquee, who allegedly confessed to the brutal murder of his landlord, was arrested Tuesday at JFK Airport as he tried to flee the country.
Photo by Paul Martinka

More from Around New York