She’s Miss New York for ‘real’

They’re spectacular — and they’re real.

In an exclusive interview with The Brooklyn Paper, Leigh-Taylor Smith — the former Miss Brooklyn who will represent us in the Miss America pageant in January — silenced whispers about the authenticity of two of her assets.

“I’ve never had cosmetic surgery,” she said. “I’m comfortable with myself the way I am.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with it, she added.

“If it makes a woman — or a man — feel more comfortable with themselves, they should go ahead,” Smith said. “But I’ve never had it.”

Despite getting those accusations off her chest, the 22-year-old brunette bombshell did not fully appease skeptics.

“They’re too perfect,” said Peter Naas of Queens after seeing last week’s front page of The Brooklyn Paper, a collector’s edition that featured Smith in a two-piece bikini. “If she told me she could fly, I would believe her [more].”

Fellow observer Paul Walker also prefered to believe his own eyes rather than Smith’s claim.

“I’d say they’re fake,” said Walker, who lives the South Slope.

It’s not the first time Smith has come under scrutiny for not being a real New Yorker.

The vivacious Virginia native first took flak in February after she won the Miss Brooklyn tiara despite living in (say it ain’t so!) Manhattan.

At the time, Smith said she had strong ties to Brooklyn because she belongs to the Brooklyn Tabernacle, a church on Fulton Mall in Downtown.

But now, she has a broader take on the subject.

“I’m representing a state that is certainly known as a melting pot, and I’m a part of that, too,” she said.

And what could be more “New York” than coming to the city after college from another part of the country?

“She’s here living her dream to become an interior designer, and she’s here living her dream to be Miss America,” said Kimberly Thomas, executive director of the Miss Brooklyn pageant.“Isn’t that what New York is all about — moving here for greater opportunity?”

Now that Smith has put the controversies behind her, she promises that her tenure as Miss New York will be scandal-free.

“It’s about leading a respectable life,” said Smith. “You guys don’t have to worry about me.”

Smith — a University of Virginia alum who has twice volunteered in South Africa as an abstinence educator — is hoping to be crowned Miss America on a platform that calls for mandatory volunteerism for high school students.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Michael from Park Slope says:
She looks real enough to me; even if she weren't, I'd use my imagination pretending that she was real...which, in her case, is really what it comes down to anyway. Really!!!
July 31, 2008, 12:24 pm
Andi from Borrow of Virginia says:
Guess what? In pageantry there are things called, tape, cutlets, and other "enhancing" items that are regularily used by most contestants to ensure that things are were they should be, fuller than they normally are, and that everything looks great.

Too many tricks of the trade to name, but knowing Leigh-Taylor, it's all real - what you see is a confident woman and that is about as real as you can get.
July 31, 2008, 4:42 pm
Ashley from Williamstown says:
UGH why are we confusing Miss America with Miss USA?! Miss America contestants are the REAL ladies who respect their bodies and are not as plastic surgery crazy as Miss USA contestants! get it right, Media!!!!!
July 31, 2008, 5:08 pm
Brad from Brooklyn Heights says:
She's HOT, but in an approachable way. I don't think I'd be intimidated to approach her. Rock on, Miss NY!
July 31, 2008, 11:04 pm
teegee from park slope says:
fake, fake & more fake. I'm a bit of a perve and can certainly tell real from fake. but I'm not as concerned about her fake boobs, as I am about her fake residency.

it is so wrong that we couldn't find a winner among our 2.6 million full-time Brooklynites. Yes, we're a melting pot, but she isn't even in the pot, she comes to Brooklyn to pray and it seems her prayers have been answered.

but there are so many more pressing issues, I can't believe I am commenting on this. Why were about these boobs when we have many more boobs that represent our boro in elected office - and I can attest to the fact tht they are genuine!
Aug. 1, 2008, 7:47 am
queen from New Jersey says:
Do some research before you start talking nonsense. 99% of the girls competeting use what everyone calls 'cups'. Cups the same thing as pads, or you can buy adhesive push up bras. & everyone from Brooklyn needs to get over it and support there represetive, it's rediculous that people are fighting about where she is from. She went from Brooklyn and won Miss NY, i think she's proved herself, not that she even needed to.
Nov. 19, 2008, 11:47 am
heyyo from Brookly says:
"Mandatory Volunteerism" That should be the real issue here, not her body. Her platform makes not a lick of cents...do you get my point? You can't force someone to volunteer, those two words negate one another
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:42 pm