Shots fired after ‘Heatwave’ party!

One man was wounded and hundreds more were terrified when shots were fired into a massive crowd outside Prospect Park last night after the controversial “Heatwave” gathering ended and celebrants dispersed onto Ocean Avenue.

Witnesses said that a huge crowd was hanging out at around 9 pm along the strip between Empire Boulevard and Parkside Avenue in the wake of the packed “Heatwave” party.

It is unclear what sparked the violence in front of 135 Ocean Ave., but a source living on Ocean Avenue said that as night fell tensions began to rise.

“It was not an amicable atmosphere,” said the witness. “Guys were getting out of fancy cars with bodyguards — the money on display was crazy.”

Another witness, who only identified himself as Joe, added, “It was like it had been building up to something for quite some time.”

Police said the wounded man showed up on his own at Kings County Hospital with bullets that matched the spent rounds found at the scene of the shooting. His condition was unknown at this time.

More than one thousand people had gathered peacefully on Sunday afternoon in the park’s Nethermead area for the “Heatwave” event, an annual party hosted by MIH Ventures, an event planning and music promotions company.

Shane Bennett, an employee with MIH Ventures, explained that the Heatwave event was a way to show customer appreciation.

“We invite everyone that comes to our events to come and enjoy the park and some free food,” Bennett said.

MIH Ventures had a permit for the gathering that expired at 5 pm.

A park official supervising the event, Josephine Pittari, said that MIH Ventures was obligated to stop serving food at that time, but that the parkgoers in attendance could stay until the park closed at 1 am.

“There is no limit on picnicking,” Pittari said.

As the official party ended, several participants told us, “This is just getting started.”

A spokesman for the park, Eugene Patron, hesitated to draw a draw a direct link between the event and shooting at Ocean Avenue near Lincoln Road, close to the Prospect Park stop on the Q train.

“It’s way too early to draw any conclusions into cause and effect,” Patron said. “We’ll let the police look into it.”

It’s the second year in a row that the “Heatwave” party has ended in controversy. Last year, the organizers never bothered to get a permit for the gathering, which left whole swaths of Prospect Park carpeted in litter. This time around, the organizers left the park in good condition, working overnight to clean up the mess. Unfortunately, one gun-toting miscreant ruined the party.

After the ensuing investigation, MIH Ventures took responsibility and organized a park clean-up day that fall.

Updated 3:22 pm, July 19, 2010: Story was substantially updated with new information.
Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Anne from Park Slope says:
Enough is enough. Last year, fans of MIH Ventures defended the participants saying they were young urban professionals. Well, it appears their fans also are a bunch of hoodlums who carry weapons to "peaceful" gatherings. They should NEVER be allowed a permit EVER.
July 19, 2010, 11:25 am
Any Mouse from Any Where says:
There's nothing to prevent MIH Ventures from reorganizing and reapplying next year under a different corporate name with different people fronting. They should let them have the event again, but set up a secured entrance with metal detectors and have a police wagon ready to cart off miscreants. It could be a good opportunity to round up criminals with outstanding warrants. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
July 19, 2010, 12:18 pm
Jim from Flatbush says:
For a PR firm, MIH did a very good job keeping that clean-up day secret. I never saw a single piece of information about it.
July 19, 2010, 12:24 pm
real bk from fort greene says:
Really people. These are urban professionals. There were some knuckleheads there but I am sure they live in the neighborhood. Most of the people you are talking about are probably your bosses or managers at any of the major law, financial, or retail services in nyc. I guarantee that many of them probably make more money and are worth more than many of you foolish posters. I'm sick and tired of all the stereotyping. If I was to start posting all the stereotypes of people that I see in the park I am sure you wouldn't like it. I've seen garbage left in park from all races. I've seen dog sh*** left in park from one particular race of people. I've seen drug use, and intoxication from all races in the park. So please spare me the drama. Metal detectors knock it off. Your subtle racism is insulting.

I was there with my wife and friends. And none of them fit your profile you are trying to describe. The vast majority of people there don't fit that profile. One incident doesn't condemn the entire event.
July 19, 2010, 12:44 pm
real bk from fort greene says:
Also, as far as I'm concerned, I pay taxes just like everyone else. And based on my income bracket I pay quite a bit in taxes that funds the use and clean up of the park for everyone. Comments about hoodlums, violence, etc should just stop. I am a Black Man, and will speak my mind against this stuff. You guys are just hypocrites. It's outstanding to witness it in this day and age. Even in Brooklyn, the Borough I love and grew up in, this silliness goes one. Unbelievable. I am sure there is a safe place for you on the Upper West Side will you can feel more comfortable.
July 19, 2010, 12:48 pm
Andrew from Park Slope says:
I'm a white male, early 40's. I was there in the late afternoon. There were some hoodlums there, and some people made comments to me. Yesterday was the first time I have experienced rascism in this city for many years.
I'm sure there were some professionals there, but plenty were NOT I can tell you. I heard the language, saw the dress code. Nothing like professionals I deal with.
But I must say it was relatively quiet.
But again, what ended up happening didn't surprise me.
July 19, 2010, 1:09 pm
real BK from fort Greene says:
Andrew, just wondering what the dress code is that you are referring to. Please help me understand what "professionals" you deal with look like on weekends? Just curious. Because I know hundreds of people that were there. And I'm sorry, but I didn't see anyone with suits on. You made a point that it was relatively quiet. I will agree with that. It was quiet. Almost uneventful. You seem to be a level headed guy from most of your comments. so I would say, just check some of your assumptions at the door. there are a lot of things that happen in prospect park, that I could generalize and lay at the feet of people of all races, but I choose not to. there are bad apples in every bunch. Mind you this event has been going on for 10 years. And for the most part it has been the same bunch of people. Location does play a part in what happens in an area.
July 19, 2010, 1:23 pm
Jaz from Clinton Hill says:
The spin on this article is disturbing... The event was
VERY peaceful. There were thousands of young professionals in the park during the daytime hours. We live in Brooklyn NYC... this isn't the suburbs - Flatbush and Crown Heights, cmon.. The surrounding areas have residents who carry guns & easily entered the park. Do not associate the violence that took place with the event organizers. It is unfair.

When you have an event of that magnitude, you attract those people who start trouble. If a group of stragglers standing on Parkside and Flatbush see a group of beautiful black people entering the park - THEY WILL COME & tell their FRIENDS to come .

It is WRONG to knock MIH Ventures.
July 19, 2010, 1:25 pm
KH from Bed-Sty says:
I wish you "hipsters" just leave BK if you are going to have a problem with the way people live and enjoy themselves here. Just because this one incident happened does not mean it was a reflection of the organizers or everyone that attended. I was at the event and it was very peaceful. It sounds like this was something that took place off the park grounds. Brooklyn has come a long way but still has its moments. Everywhere you live in the city has it bad spots whether it is those nice neighborhoods in Manhattan or in Forest Hills, Qns or even Park Slope, BK. If you cannot understand that, then maybe you should move out of BK and maybe somewhere else where you will feel safe.
July 19, 2010, 1:28 pm
T from BED STUY says:

What do you have against black people???
July 19, 2010, 1:29 pm
Nico from Westchester says:
Someone was shot...in a public area AFTER an event that MIH organized. Those are the facts. It's extremely unfortunate that someone was hurt and I hope that everything will turn out alright but you will not make assumptions that "fans" of MIH are "stupid fools, hoodlums and money-grabbing whores!" Are you serious? Are you smoking dog food?

I was there and so were many of my friends. We are professional. We are educated. We are upstanding citizens. Until you KNOW otherwise, adjust your attitude.

Have a lovely day!
July 19, 2010, 1:55 pm
ina from Park Slope says:
July 19, 2010, 1:57 pm
ina from Park Slope says:
Also.... leaving dog s*** in the park is a little different from shooting people.
July 19, 2010, 2 pm
Anne says:
To Real BK: Perhaps if MIH started charging a fee, then there wouldn't be so many "knuckleheads." Since all the attendees make more money than I do, paying to attend this "blessed" event shouldn't be a problem. Plus, what do you mean "people who live in that neighborhood carry guns." You don't mean Black people do you?
July 19, 2010, 2:11 pm
Jeff from Park Slope says:
KH -- that's just rich. Do us a favor, shoot yourselves in the comfort of your own homes, but please stay out of our public spaces. Thank you.
July 19, 2010, 2:12 pm
Anne says:
To Real BK: Sorry, that neighborhood comment is directed to Jaz.
July 19, 2010, 2:14 pm
Mark from Flatbush says:
The above poster states that "it appears their fans also are a bunch of hoodlums who carry weapons to "peaceful" gatherings." This is exactly the kind of wrong-headed comment that takes the discussion into race and away from guns, which should not be welcome in parks where children play. And look where the discussion went from there. There are two playgrounds near the location where the shooting occurred. Why are people focused on guessing the race of the people posting comments to this article instead of urging their elected officials to pass laws which make it harder to put guns in the hands of people who are willing to fire them into crowds? If you read this article and this post, and you're not willing to do something to address the real problem, then please don't waste your time making or taking offense at comments posted on an online paper. And don't ask for any sympathy when you or a loved one gets shot, regardless of your race or that of the shooter. Keep your eyes on the right target people, because I promise you, the ones with the guns are aiming at targets aplenty.
July 19, 2010, 2:19 pm
Jaz from Cllinton Hill says:
I'm done talking to you cyber-thugs. All you do is hide behind your computer & talk nonsense. Anne, I bet you think because you are a 'gentrifier' ..Brooklyn belongs to you. Go back to your hole.
July 19, 2010, 2:23 pm
Michelle from Brooklyn says:
Wow, here we go with the ignorant comments again. The ignorance comes out in comments like Ina who seems to think its impossible for Black people to be a manager or boss at a law firm or financial company. Interesting b/c I know so many Black partners at firms here in NY. There were wall street traders, attorneys, doctors, advertising executives, consultants all there at the event having a great time. Just because you judge them with your eyes won't put a dent in their bank accounts (or mine for that matter)

Its sad that we have to be wearing a suit and sit in a corner office to convince you that we have a good job and are "upstanding citizens".

What happened AFTER the event had NOTHING to do with the people who threw the event, or the people who attended earlier in the day. There was crime afterwards committed by locals. If you live in Brooklyn and have never heard of local crime, you live under a rock.
July 19, 2010, 2:25 pm
Voiceofreason2010 from BK says:
It's a shame that finally, after Blacks get their equality, what do they do? They become JUST LIKE the whites - greedy bankers, evil lawyers and mind manipulating advertisers.
July 19, 2010, 2:33 pm
ina from Park Slope says:
Michelle you are a fool..... I quoted the guy saying "bosses or managers at any major law financial or retail services in NYC". I never said anything resembling what was in your comment. I know there are black managers and bosses but not at every major company in NYC.....

Also, " just because you judge them with your eyes won't put a dent in their bank accounts ( or mine for that matter)". That comment shows me you are a fool and aren't worth the time it took to write this comment.
July 19, 2010, 2:50 pm
KH from Bed-Sty says:
To Jeff From Park Slope: Sounds like you are a typical hipster or as Jaz said, a "Gentrifier". The park is not just your public space but "OUR" public spaces too, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. I pay taxes just like you do to be able to use the public spaces as well. People like you from Park Slope have some entitlement issues like the Park only belongs to you. That is the typical attitude of "hipsters" or "gentrifiers" but one thing I have to tell you is to respect BK for the good and bad. The only reason you are living there is because you got priced out of Manhattan. If you do not like the elements that comes with living in BK, then as I stated before pay the high prices of Manhattan and move back there where you will feel safe.

Another side note: Too bad you can say all of these crazy, ignorant things about black people on this comment section but I wonder what would happen if you said it to their faces?
July 19, 2010, 2:53 pm
Michelle from Brooklyn says:
Wow, now ina is name calling. Called me a fool. This is funny. Sigh...let me go back to dealing drugs, robbing and shooting people and being the plague of America since apparently that's what all Black people do.

Sorry to interrupt your cyber-outrage with an opinion. Please carry on with bashing MIH for something that happened after their event was over.
July 19, 2010, 2:57 pm
ina from Park Slope says:
to KH.
Would probably get shot....
July 19, 2010, 2:58 pm
Anne says:
Truthfully, the event is getting too big to handle. Each year, attendance grows and there are more and more incidents - from trash to shootings. This is not a race thing - since when is hoodlums directed towards black people only? Hoodlum is a word from the 1800's that means "good for nothing." My mother used to call everyone a hoodlum if they were bad.
By the way, Jaz from Clinton Hill, we'd like to have the MIH party at your house next year. Is that ok?
July 19, 2010, 2:58 pm
Anne says:
It's so easy to say this is a black thing and hide behind it too. Gee (that's a white word), wouldn't it interesting if white people could say "That black person is such a racist!"
July 19, 2010, 3 pm
real bk from fort greene says:
Knee jerk stereotyping. Though I would like to continue to partake in this wonderful conversation, the point of the matter is that stereotypes does play a role in perceptions. Yes, I can get a feel between who is black and who is white on this board because of the insensitive comments. People who were at this event yesterday clearly felt insulted by the comments, and rightfully so. However, if other People who can't put there biases aside and see that their comments are ignorant and insulting, then what are your going to do.

It's just unfortunate that we are still having the same discussions year after year and yes as a Black Man I am speaking up to share an insight about the event. While trying to inject a little humor in to lighten up the tone.

I agree, must of these mean-spirited comments would never be said in mixed company or in a person of colors face. Easier done behind a keyboard. But guess what, the world goes on, and tomorrow there will be another issue to vent about and stereotype by race.

I guess it is just the American way.
July 19, 2010, 3:12 pm
Nina from Fort Greene Projects says:

Enough!!!! Why do you guys care? You never walk on Ocean and Parkside. You people made enough noise last yearr. We moved the hoodlums to the black side of the park. ARE YOU HAPPY??? Now you care about what happens on the black side. Let us LIVE!!!
July 19, 2010, 3:14 pm
Charlie from Brooklyn says:
Michelle from Brooklyn says: "What happened AFTER the event had NOTHING to do with the people who threw the event, or the people who attended earlier in the day."
Jaz from Clinton Hill says: "Do not associate the violence that took place with the event organizers. It is unfair ... When you have an event of that magnitude, you attract those people who start trouble."

Blame isn't the issue. The issue is people's safety. Violence DID occur, and it wasn't many hours later, but endangered hundreds still present.
If big events "attract those people who start trouble," you plan for that and mitigate it -- by hiring more or better security, and or by charging more-than-token admission (which shouldn't be beyond the reach of a professional crowd).

You don't just hold your event and shrug off foreseeable bad consequences. If you do, it'll get hijacked by bad actors and the guys with "bodyguards." It won't be fun and popular anymore: Folks won't feel safe to begin with, and will feel like moving targets or potential crossfire victims if they walk around or leave the park.

The shooting isn't MIH's "fault," but doing everything possible to prevent a recurrence is their BUSINESS and their responsibility - if they want to avoid worse outcomes and keep this event going.
July 19, 2010, 3:16 pm
Mimi from outside of BK says:
What is amusing and sad is the back and forth banter about this event.The event is held by professionals and attended by professionals. Unfortunately due to the spoiled gentrifiers and social media this event was moved to a bigger section and entrance that would draw some undesirables. It was a hot summer night and an eruption of violence in brooklyn is a common occurrence. However the fact is is that all the racist gentrifiers have been trying to stop this event. 2 years ago I had a woman ask me "who said you all could have this event and why didnt she know about it" I was in such shock from this form of racist entitlement. It just does not stop. You took away our music permit and we still had a good time. We are educated and with that knowledge we will protect our rights. I have gone to concerts and events where I have seen other races dirty, smelly, drunk disorderly and causing major problems and the racists on here are going to judge our peaceful picnic. I do not think so.
So Ane, Andrew, and Ina you are racists! But as long as we have you it makes me strive to crush your racist dreams. Have a good day!
July 19, 2010, 3:17 pm
dude from BK says:
I think Charlie nailed it.

Next!
July 19, 2010, 3:18 pm
James from PLG says:
There were undercover cops out and about during this event writing up folks for having alcohol. Did this happen on Friday when the NY Philharmonic was performing in the park?
July 19, 2010, 3:20 pm
Neka from Park Slope says:
The Heatwave party was over at 5pm, and Ocean Ave, which I had only been to once, seems to be a pretty active street. I am a black urban professional who brought my trash bag to the park to keep it clean. MIH did exactly what was required --cleaned the park after its shindig.

If anything happened AFTER the BBQ, and considering there's always violence in Brooklyn, I don't understand the connection to the BBQ. As a matter of fact, I don't understand why the is article connects the two. There has been no connection between the shooting and picnic but the journalist combined the two until farther notice, and then a few ridiculous posters decided the event shouldn't take place because...?

There is a problem with the event and that's more so due to rapid expansion. If you have that many people in the park, and many lingering after the BBQ, eventually it will attract some shady characters. Those are the people that I want to avoid.

Violence is a problem for everyone. The attendees at the festivities are more concerned about what happened than Anne. We are the ones at the event. Thus, we are the ones that DON'T want to get shot.

The hyperbole is unnecessary. A solution is required. The BBQ that used to be just word of mouth has now become every one and their mother and unfortunately, no one can vouch for everyone. And, no one can be responsible for all of Brooklyn outside of the venue/park.

So what's the solution?
July 19, 2010, 3:24 pm
Jaz from Clinton Hill says:
James - I know for a fact !! that some people had wine/beer at NY Philaharmonic.

Wait. I bet you can't imagine someone who attended the MIH BBQ attending such an event. Again, the racism continues. smh.

As someone mentioned above ----
ALL RACES HAVE DISORDERLY BEHAVIOR. There are drunk, disrespectful attendees at concerts, etc.

THE ONLY PERSON WHO MAKES SENSE IS CHARLIE!
July 19, 2010, 3:24 pm
Nat Turner from Bronx says:
I too was at this PEACEFUL event and one isolated incident shouldn't be twisted into something bigger than what it was. So, @ Any Mouse from Any Where, are you condoning stop and frisk with your foolish comment? Round up your friends and over gentrifiers and hipsters and move out of Brooklyn. NEWSFLASH contrary to what you think, the park and all the other places you think is exclusively for you, belongs to all of NY'ers
July 19, 2010, 3:24 pm
Latoya from Boerum Hill says:
This event has been going on for 10 years without incident. The people in the vicinity of last year's event complained of trash and noise - the organizers of the event made it a point to respect the wishes of the residents by ensuring that the trash was cleaned up and that there was no noise to speak of. They even moved the event to another area of the park so as not to disturb anyone.

If you know Brooklyn like I know Brooklyn, the surrounding areas of the new location aren't exactly the burbs. MIH can't possibly be held accountable for what people in the neighborhood do. Michelle put it best... If people aren't wearing suits, sitting in a corner office, with their title pinned to their sleeve, some people find it hard to believe that they are upstanding professionals who are educated and would not be in the company of gun toters. MIH certainly does not attract a crowd of hoodlums... contrary to your ignorance, limited scope and name calling (Anne, Andrew, Ina..)

The level of sarcasm and assumptions that the shootings and picnic are connected is disappointing.

Andrew, grow up... Just because people aren't wearing khaki's and polos doesn't mean they aren't professionals. And, as a 40 year old man attending an event with 30 somethings, I'm sure the taste in clothing differs a bit. And, what exactly was it about the language told you that they weren't professional?

RealBK and Michelle, thanks for going in on these fools as needed.
July 19, 2010, 3:27 pm
Michelle from Boogie Down Bronx says:
I did not attend this year, but I attended last year and one thing I can say is that I was just happy and pleasantly amazed with all of the beautiful, peaceful, intelligent, professional 20-30-something gathered together, having a great time. I was so disappointed that I could not attend this year. I was also disappointed to hear that there was a shooting shortly after. I knew, immediately, it would be directly linked to the gathering.

I wonder if people as readily associate local criminal activities to nearby Tea Party rallies across America...?
July 19, 2010, 3:33 pm
Latoya from Boerum Hill says:
What you all fail to realize is that a peaceful group of individuals moved their to an area of the park where the surrounding neighborhood already has it's share of violence in an effort to appease those who complained about trash and noise last year. After 10 years of holding this event there hadn't been any violence. They can not prevent what the residents of the neighborhood choose to do. What they can do is ensure that there is security to protect their guests from the BS in the neighborhood.

..How about the police deal with the existing violence in this neighborhood outside of this event...
July 19, 2010, 3:37 pm
Ayo from Lefferts Gardens says:
Hi,

The shooting was almost directly under my window...so I live in the neighborhood.

I'm white and I walked through the crowd in the park about 2 hours before. Everyone was really nice and it was NOT a gathering of hoodlums....The vast majority of people were young professionals - OBVIOUSLY. Just because there was a couple bad apples doesn't mean this was not a great crowd - everyone needs to just relax...the organizers will work hard to not let this happen again. Anyway - they have no control over what happens out on Ocean Avenue....

I think the people who say "this was to be expected' are just racist.

Ayo
July 19, 2010, 3:39 pm
James from PLG says:
Jaz, could you re-read my question please?

I was just asking if undercover cops were writing people up for alcohol during the Philharmonic's concert at the park, since the cops were doing that on Sunday during the MIH event. Giving people tickets for having open containers.

Just a simple question.

As for you going to both the concert on Friday and the cookout on Sunday, good for you.

I was at the cookout Sunday and as I left the Lincoln road entrance and saw everyone gathering, I had a feeling something was going to pop off.
July 19, 2010, 3:41 pm
K says:
There is an incident in that area every week. How do you tell the difference?
July 19, 2010, 3:45 pm
Anne says:
We are spoiled, because we use the park everyday. Do you? I'm not a racist, but if using the word hoodlum offends you, I'll call them "good for nothings." I just don't like it when people (of any color) disrespect a public place that we all enjoy. It happened last year. If you lived in Park Slope, you'd have a whole different perspective because it would be YOUR neighborhood too. So shut up with the racist crap. It's so easy to throw that back when you know this picnic is turning into a monster that you can't even enjoy anymore.
And, last year MIH didn't have a permit and got one this year because of all the social media pressure. Don't blame us for getting mad, blame MIH. They are unprofessional urban professionals.

So stop calling me a gentrifier - that's really racist and I'm offended.
July 19, 2010, 3:47 pm
P from Park Slope says:
To Anne and the other biased posters on this thread you should be ashamed of yourselves. Sitting behind your computer writing messages based on stereotypes is spineless. Last year the MIH BBQ took place on the Long Meadow with NO record of violence. The issue in 2009 was garbage(which the group remedied with a clean up day referenced by the parks dept.) Since then the group made significant progress with the Parks Dept. and upheld the 2010 permit requirements.

This year you are choosing to tie in a random shooting to the MIH BBQ. If you knew anything about Brooklyn you would know Ocean near Flatbush has random acts of violence frequently throughout the year that obviously have nothing to do with the Annual BBQ.

Does it irritate you so much to see people of color enjoying themselves peacefully in the park? Why did you all flee the suburbs and come to the inner city only to attempt to turn it into a tasteless microcosm of people sharing one common thought?

It bears repeating PROSPECT PARK is a PUBLIC space no one group of people own it and that is why MIH will continue to receive a permit as long as it is obtained and carried out correctly.
July 19, 2010, 3:53 pm
A from BK says:
yes - calling people 'gentrifiers' and 'hipsters' and telling people to 'move out if they don't feel safe' is just as insulting and it is racist because you are stereotyping people.

i go to the park every weekend and its always peaceful. but yes i am alarmed if someone gets shot in or near the place, and i'm not going to accept it as 'just another hot summer night in BK' and move back to Manhattan because i got priced out. i live in BK because i LIKE it there!
July 19, 2010, 3:55 pm
James from PLG says:
Anne, MIH made some huge mistakes last year, got called out on them and made changes to address those concerns and they still get branded as "unprofessional urban professionals"?
July 19, 2010, 3:55 pm
Charlie from Brooklyn says:
Thanks, Jaz and dude.
My interest is in having MIH do more to keep people safe and make this thing (safely) enjoyable. The folks attending shouldn't have to feel anxious, or choose between fun and safety. It would be terrible if - due to lack of foresight - interlopers got the upper hand, so that folks were hurt or this event was shunned or had its plug pulled.

And race -- other than "human" -- has NOTHING to do with this. It's about making sure that a crowd of decent people don't get victimized by (and then BLAMED for) the actions of some troublemakers.
July 19, 2010, 3:56 pm
Haitian Prince from Park Slope says:
I think this entire story is a "reach" from a 2nd rate local paper. The three most important factors that many of you are missing are:

1) It happened OUTSIDE the event

2) It happened in a crime-ridden area

3) It happened AFTER THE EVENT

Are you this outraged when you hear about kids get shot all over the city on a daily basis? Is MIH to blame for that as well?

I think it is unfair and idiotic to imply that the shooting was linked to the event. I was at the event. It was peaceful. MIH cleaned up park until 1 AM. I guess that park wasn't sensational enough for your second rate paper.
July 19, 2010, 3:57 pm
Latoya from Boerum Hill says:
Anne, I'm not quite sure you have the lens to recognize your ignorance... Get some perspective from the black people in your life... Perhaps then you can understand why people are calling it like it is. Maybe you are not racist but the tone, stereotypes and assumptions you are making are racially motivated whether you choose to believe it or not.

The picnic isn't a monster. Yes, it has grown, but that's not the problem that folks have here. It's the fact that a peaceful gathering by folks who literally came to the park to stand around and talk with friends is being associated with violence that happens in that neighborhood every week.

The connection is being made because both the organizers/attendees and the people who brought the drama are black. Comments like the one that came from Andrew about the language and dress further feeds into the ignorance with associating this event with the actions of folks unassociated with the event.

I would try to explain things to you, but I just don't have the energy to be the voice of black people continuing to explain the obvious to folks who have no clue about what is going on in the world.

WAKE UP!
July 19, 2010, 3:59 pm
KM from Manhattan says:
Considering the fact that Brooklyn has the highest rate of violent crimes among all five boroughs, I find it somewhat odd that this picnic would be associated with violence that likely would have been there sans picnic. Ask any prosecutor in Kings county - there's at least one shooting in Brooklyn every day.
July 19, 2010, 4:03 pm
Not Goish from Prospect Heights says:
When exactly was the clean-up day last year? I call BS on this one.
July 19, 2010, 4:07 pm
WA from Jersey says:
I was there and in my group alone, there we 2 doctors (emergency and pediatric), one recent MBA graduate, 2 lawyers, a guy from Wall street, an engineer and I am a Marketing Manager. At the same time as it was getting dark, my friends and I had enough sense to leave. Not because it was a gathering of black people, but because it was getting dark in a park accessible to anyone, there was close to 1,000 people, there was alcohol. It's just common sense. I would have left if the attendees were a group of drunk, preppy Ivy league white guys.
July 19, 2010, 4:09 pm
Inkredible from Flatbush says:
I am with Neka, I agree that instead of hurling insults at each other, we should all work together to find a constructive solution to some of the issues contained here.

I happen to live in one of the most violent precincts in brooklyn, if not the entire city (67th), I'm young, black, and not one of the gun-toting miscreants some may assume I'd be if judging on appearance alone.

As an attendee of the event for the past few years, I had an absolutely wonderful time. With most large gatherings, you have people from vastly different backgrounds, good and bad. For every 30 successful professional that was there, there may have been a 20 year old knucklehead. Do the professionals not have a right to enjoy themselves because of the presence of the knucklehead?

I would hesitate to say that this shooting resulted from MIH's successful event, but would attribute it to the bone-headed actions of a select few individuals. A few bad apples happened to be black, but they could have been white, hispanic, whatever.

The larger point is, "OUR" park isn't limited to the individuals in the area surrounding the park, it includes everyone and anyone because it is a PUBLIC space.

Gentrifiers, Hipsters, Black, White, whatever. We all have a place here in Brooklyn. Some of the comments here are really disheartening. I thought my borough was bigger than this...
July 19, 2010, 4:15 pm
Jay from Brooklyn says:
Not Goish, the clean-up day last year took place on Saturday, October 24th, 2009. Nothing to call BS on.
July 19, 2010, 4:21 pm
James from PLG says:
Let's be honest. While we don't the circumstances of the shooting, there were a lot more people in the area as a result of the cookout. I would not blame the cookout or try to tie the promoters to the shooting, but if you are familiar with urban events, people loiter around after many of them and people who didn't even attend these events come to check out the girls. There is nothing the promoters of this event could do to prevent this.
July 19, 2010, 4:21 pm
Clint Eastwood from Everywhere says:
Get off my lawn!!!
July 19, 2010, 4:21 pm
Anne says:
Regarding my supposed racism: Anyone here ever get called a —— or had your house graffitteed because you were Jewish? Or did your father have to change his last name so the Nazi party and the Ku Klux Klan didn't burn his store down? If the participants were white and there was a shooting, I'd still be pissed off. So please.

If I were MIH, I would find another venue. It's really gotten to a point where their reputation is being seriously tarnished. They can't control the huge crowds and now have to have the party at the "bad side" of the park - this is what others are saying, not me.

Instead of a "heatwave" what about a "freeze-out" at the Wollman Rink or a bowling party at Chelsea Piers? Or what about a big charity event and party at a golf club or rent a giant boat and have a cruise? Isn't this something that professionals like to do too? I'm an urban professional and I would like that.
July 19, 2010, 4:24 pm
liam from kensington says:
So it sounds to me like this is what happened:

MIH had it's event until 5pm

they cleaned up their litter

4 hours later, someone in a large crowd (not unusual on a hot sunday evening in the park by any stretch) shot someone.

It's not exactly news that there is a gang problem in east flatbush, and shootings are not exactly rare in the area - I'm not sure why the BP (heh) is connecting MIH's event with the shooting at all, and am not at all sure a connection would have been made if there was a shooting 4 hours after the Phil concert earlier in the week.
July 19, 2010, 4:27 pm
whitey from usa says:
Inkredible - i made the mistake of exiting the neathermead through a pathway that was 'guarded' by an old knucklehead who was crouching down and smoking. as soon as i walked past him he stood upright and stared at me with rage in his eyes. i kept walking and was 'greeted' by 7-8 more 20-something knuckleheads, all smiling sarcastically at me and who knows what they were muttering about. i have walked down that pathway many times and never was afraid. if they attacked me i hope you would have helped.
July 19, 2010, 4:28 pm
whitey from usa says:
the Neathermead is NOT a 'bad side' of the park! its always peaceful and beautiful.
July 19, 2010, 4:30 pm
Anne says:
Just to clarify, someone else commented that it was the bad side. Not me.
July 19, 2010, 4:33 pm
James from PLG says:
@ Liam

The permit for the event was for 11am - 5pm but no one left the area, in fact the crowd seem to have doubled between 5pm and 7pm. Most (myself included) left when it got dark, closer to when the shooting occurred.

I'm not blaming MIH for the shooting, but their event was the reason more people than usual were congregated in the area, which increased the chance of an incident.
July 19, 2010, 4:42 pm
An american from usa says:
some of these comments are BEYOND ignorant and are very RACIST! Brooklyn has violence year around yet you are quick to point fingers because it happened AFTER a peaceful event that takes place every year???!

"whitey" how ignorant for you to even title yourself as such. What makes you think these "knuckleheads were gonna attack you? did they? they were probably muttering how you were staring at them with "fear" in your eyes and feeling "rage" at your ignorance.

Anne and KH you need help PERIOD
July 19, 2010, 4:43 pm
Gideon from BX says:
You can't possibly have any public event in that neighborhood without having a couple of bad apples. It only takes one fool to mess up what is otherwise a very peaceful and enjoyable afternoon.

Instead of directing negative energy to the misinformed posters that weren't at the event, such energy should be directed towards Stephen Brown and Gersh Kuntzman, the writers of this article. I wonder if they attended this event.

Preach the good word, Charlie. You hit the nail right on the head.
July 19, 2010, 4:46 pm
YUSSEF from FLATBUSH says:
Anne - Why should MIH find another venue when the park is perfectly fine? It's a public park! geesh.

NYPD had a huge presence at the event during the day. Like someone stated, they gave offenders open bottle tickets. How can a group of young professionals foster an orderly exit?

Is this where they need assistance of the local law enforcement. I'm sure they gave the city an estimate of how many to expect. Why are they being blamed for crime that occurs on BK streets?
July 19, 2010, 4:47 pm
Deb from Brooklyn says:
Inkredible from Flatbush....Well said!
July 19, 2010, 4:47 pm
Redd Foxx from Burbank says:
Can say one thing, no dirty diapers hanging from the trees like last year. And at least the party was contained in one easily police-able section of the park - the Nethermead. Trash seen Monday morning was about the same as any other Monday lately - messy but manageable. But I can say another thing - organizers have to keep working harder to manage the crowd. Permit says 5p - you're picking up and heading out at 5p. No CPT here. It shows respect to the park and the community it borders.
July 19, 2010, 4:59 pm
Anne says:
Stop being so mad at me. I'm not mad at you. I hate that. I'm just saying that MIH might need to rethink this heatwave event to reduce the issues that everyone has been experiencing. The people who attended have commented that they were not happy with the new venue.

By the way, their permit stated no alcohol, so I guess they won't be getting a permit next year anyhow. The permit was for 500 people, not 1,000 or more....I'm just saying.
July 19, 2010, 5:02 pm
Are You Serious says:
They won't get a permit since people outside MIH brought alcohol to the event...sounds like wishful thinking to me!

Anne - Since you appear to be slow, MIH did NOT provide alcohol. People who attended it brought it to the event. Using your logic, I guess you think they did the shooting too! Get Real!
July 19, 2010, 5:07 pm
hey annie from usa says:
Hey Anne did MIH do all this too?

and this:

July 19, 2010, 5:20 pm
Anne says:
Are you serious: I know they didn't provide alcohol. MIH even posted on their heatwave web site no alcoholic beverages, but people who were invited to attend brought it anyhow and that is MIH's responsibility. It appears the people who came there are unable to read. They must be slow. No alcohol, means no alcohol. I never assumed that the MIH organizers shot anyone, it's just so coincidental that a shooting happened right where the party was. Don't you think?
July 19, 2010, 5:20 pm
Tobey from PS says:
Another goose shooting, oh my
July 19, 2010, 5:27 pm
Anne says:
It's too bad that you think this way. You are very angry people. I thought you were peaceful and professional.

July 19, 2010, 5:28 pm
Tobey from PS says:
To this idiot "T from BED STUY" who says:

"Brooklyn Paper , you are so racist -- it is unreal. Why isn't BED STUY a listed neighborhood!!???!!!

What do you have against black people???"

How about Coney Island? This is not listed too, those guys over are white too?

Victim? Oh year you are a victim
July 19, 2010, 5:29 pm
Inkredible from Flatbush says:
Hey Anne,

You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect your viewpoint.

MIH posted on the official event website "No alcohol allowed", so those who did bring alcohol did so of their own will.

Also note that while food has to stop being served at 5pm, those who stayed later were well within their rights to do so until 1am if they so chose according the Parks spokesperson.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but there's no way in hell I'm staying in a pitch black park, so I exited through Prospect Park West and 9th around 8:30.

Why would the Parks Department only issue a permit for 500 people, when last years biggest issue was cleanup and the total amount of attendees easily exceeded 1000?

If so, sounds like the Parks Dept & NYPD should be blamed for lack of foresight.

Do you have any suggestions for an alternate venue that would satisfy any safety & cleanup concerns for all involved?
July 19, 2010, 5:36 pm
Mark from Flatbush says:
Excellent. Over 70 comments about race and blame, and no real outrage over the use of a gun at a social event. Anyone bother to call or email their elected officials? Or are we all just going to point fingers and show how smart we all are? Thank you all for defending your positions so fiercely and failing to do anything constructive whatsoever.
July 19, 2010, 5:37 pm
Mark from Flatbush says:
And thank you Inkredible, for asking where the 78th and 71st precincts were last night. They both share responsibility for this one.
July 19, 2010, 5:39 pm
Inkredible from Flatbush says:
Mark,

I don't think anyone is happy that this happened. I know that i'm not. Sadly, gun violence is all too common in NYC and affects everyone. I think we've all been desensitized to a certain degree. Outrage has given way to shoulder shrugs. I stopped watching the local news for awhile because it was all violence with the exception of sports and weather.

I'm not sure if the Park, or at least that side where the incident occurred is in the 78s detail any longer. When my Dad was there, I think I remember him telling me that they lost it at some point, not sure if it was ever returned. I could be wrong.
July 19, 2010, 5:46 pm
Mark from Flatbush says:
Inkredible,

Agree completely in the common nature of gun violence and being desensitized. But I want people to think about the solutions, not only to the race issue, but to the crime issue as well. And then act. This needs attention and effort by all. Shoulder shrugs are exactly what empowers criminals and makes them think they can get away with this kind of behavior.

I am not sure where the divide is anymore between the 71st and the 78th but any time the precincts share a border, they need to coordinate. Too often they don't, and the criminals can take advantage.

Make no mistake -- this is an issue for both sides of the park. People get mugged and stabbed and shot in Park Slope too. If you want to improve your neighborhood, you had better be thinking about what is going on nearby, because crime doesn't confine itself to neat little borders.
July 19, 2010, 5:54 pm
liam from kensington says:
related: what's with all the dudes who hang out silently in the woods on the east side? They sit every 20 yards from each other and generally ignore me, but spooky as hell and never know wtf to expect...
July 19, 2010, 6:12 pm
moshe Aron Kestenbaum from Williamsburg ODA says:
What are the good qualities of the Brooklyn paper? what makes the Brooklyn paper an excellent paper? It's about being assertive,being manly,funky,but racist? Sorry,but I don't see it. ..No racist paper here.
July 19, 2010, 7:36 pm
Not Goish from Prospect Heights says:
Jay from Brooklyn says:
Today, 4:21 pm
Hmm, can we please see picture proof on Flickr or similar photo services? Don't public relations operations want to tell and show the truth [don't go there, see British Petroleum aka BP]
July 19, 2010, 8:08 pm
Gideon from BX says:
@ Not Goish I was there. They asked their follwers to come out and help and some actually did.
July 19, 2010, 8:23 pm
Crazed Afrykan from Park Bush Slope Greene says:
I am an African professional who has lived in Park Slope for the last 5 years, used to live in Flatbush and Crown Heights, went to school in Fort Greene and I have White, Asian, and black friends who were all at the MIH bbq. I bike in Prospect Park about 2-3 times a week and I have been to the MIH BBQ many times before. I also used to promote events. I say all that to say that I think I have earned an opinion here. I am just about tired of all this nonsense. "Blacks are this and whites are that. I am a professional and I make this and I drive that". I think all of you suck and I really wish you all would shut the hell up with the racially motivated, socioeconomic governance and narcissistic bull crap. Here's what's going to happen. They are going to eventually shut this bbq down because let's face it, it has turned into Greekfest for adults. I have no issue with any of the people there because quite frankly, they were beautiful and I saw many of my colleagues from a certain institution that just made a sizable payout to the SEC, just to grant you some incite as to who attends this bbq. It sucks that stereotypes dictate most fears and will eventually be the demise of most of our enjoyment. This is way beyond any internet thread. Lots of folk out there are still searching for an identity and need to justify their civility by condemning and codifying others. Who cares what color they were and who cares if they were professional? Are professionals the only people allowed to socially congregate? Do blue collar workers shoot each other every year at Thanksgiving? And can anyone really lay claim to Brooklyn? I like the new folk because they don't try to rob me. I like the old folk because they have BK sensibility and pride. I guess we all just can't get along huh? Like I said, the event will unfortunately and eventually be "scared" out of the park but until they shut it down, it's all about the Coronas and beautiful women frolicking about. But seriously, shut the hell up!!
July 19, 2010, 8:51 pm
Destinee Revealed from Bronx says:
The only people who seem to be making sense is Mark and Inkredible.
it's time we make the people who are suppose to be policing and working for you do their job.
Rather then calling each other name, it would be nice to just come together and find a solution that an ensure the safety of the people and enjoyment of all parties.

@ Anne’ comment

Black people did not migrate to the Americas freely, they were kidnapped and brought here to be slaves and if you didn’t know we had to take on whatever name the white man gave them.

KKK is still around, there are parts of Mississippi where black people cannot go to because of them and they did burn crosses and lynch black people last I recalled.

In NYC there are certain stores where you are followed because you are black. People are still harassed for being black by the police.

Or have you ever been stopped and frisked before going to Rockefeller center because you are between the age of 18 and 30, but find that they are only doing it to black males in that age range.

So before you start telling people about the plights of Jews, think about how Jewish people have gotten reparations and black people are still waiting for theirs…or maybe one day their will be a slavery museum in Washington DC next to the Jewish Holocaust museum.
July 19, 2010, 8:55 pm
JC from Lefferts / Flatbush says:
I live on Ocean Ave, right next to where the shooting took place. I take issue with the folks here that assume it must have been a bunch of knuckleheads from the neighborhood.

This is a peaceful, respectful immigrant community. What I saw last night was a whole bunch of disrespect coming from other neighborhoods, trashing our streets and our side of the park. None of those people crowding on and around Ocean Ave (except for the guys playing backgammon on the bench, which they do every night) were from here.

I see a different kind of racism both in these comments: this idea that just because it's a black neighborhood, shootings must just be something that happens every day, so what's the big deal, and destroying it fine too, since it must be worth nothing anyway. I"m going to lump into that any kind of policing oversight or park oversight. How do we let that happen? Is that really ok with you?
July 19, 2010, 9:48 pm
Sam from who cares says:
I just laughed my ass off for 15 minutes. Destinee you capped it off. You are so dumb, I'm fairly confident that you've had difficulty walking and breathing at some point in your life. Seriously, thanks for the history lesson I'm glad you can read out of a history book but that's common knowledge at this point, we all know that African Americans didn't come to the United States because they wanted to be enslaved. Everybody understands that the KKK is an absolutely ridiculous racist, stereotypical group, but don't act like blacks are the only ones who feel the brunt of their abuse that's just comical. And at Rockefeller center I can guarantee that muslims are frisked way more then any other race, ethnicity or gender. The only comment on here that makes any sense is Charlies from the way beginning. The only one who didn't throw out their stereotypical viewpoint or try to turn this into a race issue was Charlie who simply stated if a large amount of people are gathering in a specific area there should be heightened security to make sure that guns and other weapons are not allowed into the venue. Nobody on this site is racist, some are stupid (destinee) but nobody is an actual racist. I can guarantee just about everyone on here voted for Barack Obama so please shut the hell up all of you.

Also I'd just like to add, screw the Miami Heat and Lebron James.

July 19, 2010, 10:02 pm
Tupper-ware from Prospect Park says:
Crazyed Afrikan wrote:

Dog or Die!
July 19, 2010, 10:24 pm
www. from brooklyn says:
really? you guys are mad that the "hipsters" are cleaning up the s*** holes where you are from? you guys enjoy yourselves by organizing a shoot out? what the h*** is wrong? why should anyone be more happy that "the hoodlums moved to the 'black side' of the park"? people still cant enjoy the whole park because of the trash on the other side. this is not about race, it is about a bunch of savages who are black, white, hispanic, or whatever, who make everyone else suffer due to their lack of morals and ethics. it very simple: stop breaking the law. please start living with consideration for the people who want to enjoy brooklyn's positives.
July 19, 2010, 10:41 pm
Local says:
Just because this is Ocean Ave and it's the east side of the park, doesn't give anyone the right to abuse the park in the way it was abused over the weekend by MIH.

MIH is an event planning company, and they specialize in using social media and networking skills to bring people to their events. This is a PR event for a company.

MIH did not ethically take care of the Heatwave event with respect to the park and the people of the PLG neighborhood. Instead, it used the park and abused it's rules to host an event of unlimited proportions, and left the governance up to the attendees.

This is no different than if a 16yr old threw a party for the whole high-school in their parents house, and the parents believing that the kid would not abuse the rules while they were on vacation.

July 19, 2010, 11:19 pm
Destinee Revealed from Bronx says:
Cyber thugs are hillarious.
Sam, have you read the whole thread?
I'm trying to see how you calling someone dumb is contributing to this problem?
From what I read, the event was overseen by park official and MIH did comply with the rules.

Anyways, if you people want change, do something about it. Stop placing blame on others and just works towards it.
July 20, 2010, 8:24 am
Sarah from Park Slope says:
It sounds to me like MIH did a good job, acted responsibly and followed the requirements of their permit. I really don't understand the comments of people suggesting that MIH and the party-goers were all at fault.

I went to plenty of those parties thrown by 16-year olds when I was growing up on LI in the 1970s. The kids would wait till the parents were out of town and have a party. Someone would always get pushed through a glass door, or there would be a stabbing, etc. I guess you can blame the parents for going out of town. but it was really the kids who were at fault.... and they knew that.

From that experience I learned not to go to big parties of 16-year olds when no adults were around. So if I was at Heat Wave, which I was not, I would have made sure to leave early.

Anyway, I don't think you can blame MIH because they had their party, cleaned up, and left. And there is no need to insult all the people who went to the party.
July 20, 2010, 8:31 am
sam from who cares says:
Destinee did I not mention that the way to solve this is by increasing security so people don't bring in weapons. Seriously just stop talking. You know what I hate more than a cyber thug? Somebody who thinks they are a cyber diplomat? All right Hillary Clinton, go solve the international crises that are facing the world Destinee... your country needs you.
July 20, 2010, 9:23 am
JB from PH says:
re: the "clean up" event MIH held on October 24th, all they did was ask people to show up for an existing prospect park volunteer day event. I give them absolutely no credit for "organizing" a clean-up day like they promised after the July 2009 fiasco.

having said that, the brooklyn paper is grossly irresponsible (yet again) drawing a connection between this year's party and the shooting. I don't read any proven connection that the shooter/victim were at the BBQ, but hey, a shooting near the park on Saturday MUST mean they're connected, right?

At the same time, the lame "reporting" (as usual) here notes "This time around, the organizers left the park in good condition" -- but reports from other posters contradict that. I suppose it's hard for somebody from BP to actually like, go take a walk through the park the morning after the party and look for themselves. Maybe even....take some photos...

well, at least you're not Gothamist.
July 20, 2010, 10:22 am
Jon from Park Slope says:
After reading all these comments I feel much better about myself. I'm not so crazy after all!

After its horrid display last year, MIH should never have been allowed to stage a party in the park this year. A one year ban was deserved and anyone who saw the condition of the park and cares about the park would agree. And I don't care about any penance that MIH might have paid after the fact - they screwed up BIG TIME last year and should have paid the price.

But the feckless Parks Department and Prospect Park Alliance (both of whom I despise much more than MIH!) allowed MIH back. Fine. It seems like MIH did a better job this year and should be commended for that. It also seems as if the Heat Wave party has turned into a giant frat party. And if so, should events like that take place in the park? It's a reasonable question.

What does this have to do with race? Oh yeah, the Brooklyn Paper is owned by Rupert Murdoch. Don't let that SOB sucker you all into fighting!!! I'd rather we spend our time talking %^$# about him.

Now, back to the Parks Department and the Prospect Park Alliance. When are they going to hire enough people to clean up the park?!?!?!?!??! Unemployment in the city is almost 10% and our park is filthy every weekend. (This is where one would normally rant about the way that some people treat the park, but hey with trashcans full what are people expected to do?)
July 20, 2010, 10:46 am
Indian girl from North Jersey says:
I just wanted to say that this was my first time attending this event. I had a good time. People were relaxed and were just enjoying themselves in a peaceful way. The event had nothing to do with the shooting. Stop talking about race. Stop connecting things that have nothing to do with each other. A jerk had a gun when he/she shouldn't have. End of story.
July 20, 2010, 11:34 am
soft and pink from the bad side of the park says:
1st off...
anne need to get laid...in the bad side of the park...

2nd...
if u tell people what not to do....and they still do it... is it really still ur fault???

3rd...
anne need to get laid...in the bad side of the park...
July 20, 2010, Noon
Anne says:
I made the first post and used the term hoodlums, which apparently has been viewed as a racist comment. Once again, hoodlums means ragamuffin or good for nothing, it doesn't mean you're a bad black person with a gun. The commenters to this article who brought up race are black people, who identified themselves as black. I just said a bunch of hoodlums. I never said everyone who attended is a hoodlum. In fact, I've seen twitter posts from attendees saying things like "way too many n--- here" and the BBQ is a zoo. Doesn't sound like everyone was fine with this event after all.

The race issue has nothing to do with the anger we have shown regarding the MIH sponsored event. This has to do solely with an organization that is having a party that is way too big. It causes problems, mostly trash issues. I don't care less what color you are.
July 20, 2010, 12:16 pm
wtf
July 20, 2010, 1:18 pm
Neka from Park Slope says:
Anne, you actually stated there fans are a bunch of hoodlums, which would mean you stated anyone that liked the event is a hoodlum.
July 20, 2010, 2:22 pm
Xylina from East Flatbush says:
Man, oh man how I miss the pre 9/11 days when the only white ppl you saw in
certain neighborhoods were junkies, undercovers or lost. Everybody wants to
claim Brooklyn or pay cheaper rent with the "locals" and its really pitiful. The
underlying racial tension in these neighborhoods is soooo obvious and
sickening.If you don't like it then leave... its as simple as that. We will
continue to have our events...by any means necessary, whether you like it or
not. Most white ppl really humor me. The minute a black person moves into the
neighborhood you guys run away like someone is giving away free grape juice &
Mayo sandwiches. Then when the "locals" are successful and dominate a
neighborhood you guys want to venture back to get a cheap thrill & have stories
to tell to your friends about how a group of black men stared at you and tried
to attack you. -_- Its so amazing to me how the ones who give you the nervous
smile out of fear when you pass them in the street are the same ones who acquire
so much courage on the internet. I would love to witness one of the brave & oh
so opinionated commentators repeating what they wrote in front of a black
audience. This article, along with the replies really disgusted me. I didn't go
to the event this year but next year you guys should all come out and have a
good time. Anne/Becky especially :) Relax, awkwardly dance with no rhythm & have
a few drinks with some of the guys that were so friendly to whitey so then can
show you how to run a Brooklyn train. FYI voting for Obama does not mean you're
not a racist or a bigot....its really the 2010 version of "I'm not racist, I
have three black friends"
July 20, 2010, 3:25 pm
Damon says:
You white people are savagely disrespectful. Its scary how ignorant you all can be.
July 20, 2010, 5:20 pm
www. from Brooklyn says:
Xylina, you are a moron and a racist. I actually believe you when you say you would rather junkies in your neighborhood rather than the ones who are moving in and making your s*** hole neighborhood nicer. I really think that YOU should leave since obviously you have no desire to progress, which is what NYC does best. It doesn't matter anyway, the ones who gentrify will come to your neighborhood and price you out eventually. Unfortunately for you, they probably won't want to run train on your dumba**. If only they could gentrify the projects...

Oh, I didn't vote for Obama.
July 20, 2010, 7:18 pm
Crazed Afrkan from East New Green Park Hill Burg says:
I thought all the jungle bunnies and honkeys would finally hold hands in unity as we approached the mountain top with President Dr. Barack Hussein Luther King Jr but clearly not. All black people are savages. All white people are racists. didn't we figured that out centuries ago? My main issue is how blatantly midgets get disrespected at Great Adventures and other amusement parks. Riding roller coasters is a God given right gosh darn it! When will the plight of the chubby legged midget be brought to the forefront of society?

The only difference between my inane comments and the other ridiculous ones on here is that I am being stupid on purpose and I have the wherewithal to know the difference. Oh well, back to the drawing board. And I thought I told you all to shut the hell up @ 8:31pm yesterday. What gives?
July 20, 2010, 8:47 pm
Me again from Brooklyn says:
Lol. By the way, are any of these comments real or is this supposed "comment" section just a work of humor?
July 20, 2010, 9:17 pm
Sam from Who Cares says:
HAHAHAHA. This is so funny, Spike Lee is making Do the Right Thing 2 and he's going to base his script off of this blog. Seriously this is priceless and there will not be a winner. Everybody is to rigid in their viewpoints to change or actually read a comment with an unbiased view. Seriously, if you wanted to get off jury duty just print out the comments you've written and I guarantee you, you will not be selected to serve. It's a joke, For all those against this party, shut the hell up. The venue wasn't trashed this year...MIH held up there end of the bargain in that regard. In terms of a guy who brings in a loaded weapon to an event, he's obviously just a scumbag. But, regardless of whether it was one person, two people or three. What happened happened and that's just the way it is. Unfortunately because of this, MIH and the people involved are going to have to be viewed under a different lens. As an example. Not all muslim people are terrorists. But when an event like Septemeber 11th happens, the entire community of Muslims are going to be treated differently because of the actions of a few "bad apples." If you don't like that or don't think it's fair I've got onhand the worlds smallest violin and I'd be happy to play you a sonet. Get f----ng real people.

What we should do is find the stupid SOB that shot the gun and have him pay the consequences for his actions. But seriously lay off eachother. Admit your faults and move the f--k on.

Also to Pink, Soft and Xylina. Are you admitting that the stereotype that black dudes are good in bed and white people can't dance is true? And do you really think that's appropriate or has anything to do with what's going on? No need to respond, it's a rhetorical question.
July 20, 2010, 10:40 pm
Alicia from PLG says:
This chain of comments is terrifying. We find the quick and easy way to blame each other and overlook the real problems, and therefore miss the opportunities to find solutions. When I come home and find crime scene tape around my doorstep and hear that someone has been shot, I hope that I can turn to my community to figure out how we can work together to prevent this from happening again. This isn't about an event and it's not about the "locals" who are assumed to be "hoodlums." It's about a community that's so desensitized to violence and to each other, and so quick to find a scapegoat, that no one demands answers and solutions from the people in positions of power, nor do we demand them from each other. I propose that, instead of a place to spread hate, this conversation becomes a forum for discussing how we can make Brooklyn a safe and livable home for all of us who love it - any one have any real ideas (and telling people of another race to leave doesn't count...)? I'm not buying the "shootings happen in Brooklyn every day so get over it" argument - i want to live better than that.
July 20, 2010, 11:08 pm
natasha from East Flatbush says:
This article just confirms that black people and white people hate each other. Since social media & technology allows people confidence to discuss anonymously - THE TRUTH comes out.

There is some truth to what Xylina said - a lot of gentrifiers, who are NOT familiar with the neighborhood are calling 311 every day when things are slightly loud. It is an annual event! Gimme a break! I would hate for this event to end because a few alarmists make noise. IT would sadden me that a 10 YEAR event would be taken away. Majority of attendees are from Brooklyn and enjoyed it BEFORE the new residents moved in. Please let us keep that.
July 21, 2010, 12:35 am
Rick from South Brooklyn says:
Alica you seem like the only one who makes sense on this thread of comments.Everyone else seems to have issues with the opposite race.My question is why do people carry guns?
July 21, 2010, 9:08 am
Xylina from East Flatbush says:
@www

Morons don't have master's degrees, although I will accept the racist title :)

I definitely prefer the white junkies who were just passing through as opposed to the phony, b*tching & complaining hipsters, wiggers & yuppies.

Hipsters wiggers & yuppies..oh my :-o

White ppl moving into an area doesn't make it nicer, just awkward & inconvenient in my opinion. Have you ever boarded a crowded train while it was raining...only to be overcome with the smell of wet dog? bleh :-&

In what world does a group of ppl moving into a neighborhood bc they can't afford Manhattan real estate equate progression. If anything, sounds like regression to me.

I make entirely too much money to ever be bought out, sorry to burst your delusional flat a** bubble.

Although I do enjoy a good time.... I'll pass on the train. I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to run one on Becky just to make her cross over... come on you know the saying :)

I'm really not all that surprised you didn't vote for
Obama... what was it size insecurities?

Follow me on twitter... I don't like Messycans either :)

www.twitter.com/ilovexylina
July 21, 2010, 12:52 pm
brownbrooklyngal from Fort Greene says:
The nonsense from both sides of this argument is shameful

1. I attended the Heatwave BBQ last year and this year. (Yes, I'm black and proud of it. I'm also college educated, own my own business, home and car and I'm young and a native of Brooklyn. I'm the "urban" professional that some posters here assert is impossible, that I could never be anyone's boss)

2. Yes both last year and this year it was peaceful. There was no fighting, no real loud music, people acting out of sorts or doing anything criminal. It is what it was, a huge amount of over 21 but under 45, black people in one place.

3. You have to be blind not to see some of these comments and the actions of the "park supporters" are bigoted. The BBQ was moved to the "black side" of the park. It was left relatively clean considering the crowd (I've seen it much worse after Celebrate Brooklyn, with "non-urban" geared performance) and there were no incidents during the permitted event.

4. You have to be equally as blind and ignorant not to see the point of view that MIH should NOT have been granted a permit this year, given the fact they didn't have a permit for what occurred last year, the condition the park was left in and the aftermath.

Bottom line, the crowd was massive and the shooting was probably related to the event in the sense that victim and the shooter were likely attending because the BBQ was the "it" thing to do that day. HOWEVER, crime happens every where, it happens at events attended mostly by whites, blacks, yellows, greens, purples, WHOMEVER. Parkside and Ocean is not exactly Park Avenue and Madison. For those looking for a gripe just to have one sit down somewhere.

It is NOT your park, in YOUR neighborhood. Prospect Park belongs to everyone and is supported by ALL of our tax dollars. Get over yourselves.
July 21, 2010, 2:20 pm
Alias says:
Brownbrooklyngal : Crime does happen everywhere, however as you imply, the shooting and the massive crowd was probably related which is all the more reason to either reduce the size of the event, put it in a more controlled venue and protect the innocent people who are attending the party. If MIH has any professional or ethical duty, it is to not put their invitees in peril, which they did by allowing the party to be held in a neighborhood that many commenters and twitterers have said is not too savory..Had MIH not trashed the park last year and held the picnic without a permit, we would not be having this conversation.
July 21, 2010, 3:53 pm
www. from Brooklyn says:
Xylina,

Why don't you use your Master's degree and do some research on crime statistics? Who lives where?

People being priced out of Manhattan is actually turning out to be progression, only, for the boroughs. It raises the prices and pushes the crap out. The boroughs were always struggling for the most part in recent times, and now they are getting much more livable thanks to so-called regression. And yes I am from one.

I am not insulted by your racist comments aimed at whites, I am neither white nor black.
July 21, 2010, 10:40 pm
The Brooklyn Paper Can do Better! from Clinton Hill says:
This article seems more appropriate for a tabloid than it does The Brooklyn Paper as it implies a connection but lacks facts that draw the two events to each other. As the article states, the permit allowed this organization to serve food until 5pm at which time they stopped. They can no longer be held responsible for what happens after the event has ended. I have never attended any of these events but I find it ridiculous that the journalists are linking a shooting hours later, outside of the park, to an event that brought thousands of people. If Story Hour at Imagination Playground was held that day would you also link the shootings to that activity.
July 22, 2010, 3:24 am
Rick from South Brooklyn says:
Again I ask and no one addresses it...Why are people carrying guns? This is not the ——ing wild west......I want answers,,,,
July 22, 2010, 7:14 am
Me again from Brooklyn says:
By the way, I would like to ask the knowledgeable citizens on this website who have identified a "white" and "black" side of the park, what is the "side" for people of mixed heritage? Or do we just visit different neighborhoods on a rotational basis for a few months each year?
July 22, 2010, 7:45 am
Zuri from Albany, NY says:
I attended this event and I must say I had a really good time. I do not think that MIH should be responsible for anything that happened after the barbeque. I can truly say that most of the people that attended this event were "young, successful and professional people'. I am looking forward to attending this event next year!!!
July 22, 2010, 9:42 am
joseph from lefferts gdns says:
"young, succesful, and professional" what a load of sh*t. and speaking of sh*t, that's exactly what all the trash who were terrorizing this neighborhood are worth.
July 22, 2010, 11:58 am
Athena from Lefferts/Crown Heights says:
I was in the park for a birthday party on the hill above the event and witnessed the huge crowd growing from 3pm-7pmish. For the most part it seemed like a friendly group and we had fun watching the party grow. I noticed that the people there were dressed up, bringing chairs and such with them. It was the biggest picnic crowd I have ever seen.

It's unfortunate to hear about the shooting.

I do believe the organizing group does bare some responsibility and I would hope would do their utmost to ensure the safety of the people at the event as well the neighborhood by encouraging civil behavior in any way possible in the future as well as respecting the park and wild life that lives there.

I am also happy to read that the organizers cleaned up after the event. I think a donation to Prospect Park, safety campaign would be in order so events like this can continue.

I am an white lady that lives in the neighborhood who loves parties.
July 22, 2010, 12:04 pm
Peggy from Lefferts Gardens says:
I am a white women who lives nearby where the event was held. It was fine but too crowded. We had to go way around to get out of the park the crowd was so thick. People were well behaved as far as I could tell.

This party is simply too big for the venue. I suggest they move it out to Floyd Bennett field next time where they is more space, parking etc.,

More importantly, there needs to more port-a-potties for that many people, the park grounds should not be used as a toilet. Not okay to not have enough bathrooms for that size of a crowd.

And the best thing I saw was 6 guys walking around with hardcore six packs and by that I mean ripped abs. I wish I had taken a picture. That was amazing.

July 22, 2010, 12:19 pm
rk from bk says:
ina from Park Slope says: LOL at the guy who said these people are our "bosses or managers at any of the major law, financial, or retail services in nyc". Gave me a real nice laugh.

Ina, I'm a lawyer, and my wife is a banker at a Buldge Bracket, we were both there. Try to understand that there is a bigger world out there.
July 22, 2010, 12:50 pm
Ha Ha your name is Latoya from what a retarded name says:
you stink Latoya. What an awesome name!
July 22, 2010, 3:56 pm
brooklyngal from Fort Greene says:
@The Brooklyn Paper Can do Better!

The event stop serving food at 5PM but the event was NOT over at 5PM and anyone who was there (I was) can tell you that. People weren't even getting there until after 5PM at 8PM there were still until well after that. Because the park doesn't close officially until 1 AM, people used that as an opportunity to continue the event. Officially or not. So yes, they are responsible. The people would not have been there had it not been for the massive size of the MIH event.

You can't give people permits for 500 and 5000 show up. If there is even the slightest chance of that, extra security and insurance has to be in place. Not to do so, well, That's unfair to everyone. I went and I agree with this. After last year, they should not have been granted that permit.

It's not a black or white issue, just common sense.
July 23, 2010, 1:54 pm
rk from bk says:
brooklyngal from Fort Greene, if after going last year you thought they should not have been able to obtain a permit for this year then why go this year and support? All you did was add to the numbers. Bottom line, MIH you continue to communicate regularly with the city and police department to make sure things are orderly. I think the biggest issue was the lack of police presence. Police should have been walking throughout the park and up and down the street when the event was over.
July 25, 2010, 3:47 pm
RastaGrl from PLG says:
This is my neighborhood. Any large event with free stuff draws all types of folks in. Also, GUNS ARE LEGAL in the U.S. It's not "hoodlums" and not a black/white issue. It's a gun control problem. Would more police help? Yes and no. There are police at all the major parades and there is usually violence of one variety or another. MIH should have checked that their permit meant X amount of security would be present given the number of folks who came last year. Professional behavior, at least what I've learned from Wall Street Bankers, means making sure you do the least amount of work possible to keep from getting sued.
July 27, 2010, 3:14 pm