Victim: Cops downplayed attempted rape in Windsor Terrace

A Windsor Terrace woman who was attacked by a creep on Sept. 24 claims that police downplayed the incident — brushing her off because she couldn’t identify her attacker as one of the South Slope sex fiends.

The 28-year-old student told police that she was entering her building on E. Fourth Street at 11:30 pm when a thug pushed her up against her door and tried to grope her. She said that the goon fled after she screamed and a passerby approached with a dog.

Last week, cops said that the attack wasn’t related to the South Slope sex fiend, and that the case was simply a drunk man bumping into a woman.

But after reading the police account, the victim, who lives near Greenwood Avenue, reached out to the media to tell a very different story.

“If I’m just the case of some girl with a drunk guy, why would the police be here all night?” she said. “The cops say this is only a harassment case, but the guy actually hit me and pushed me up against the door.”

The woman said that police scoured the area after the attack and brought her to the Special Victims Unit, where she was shown videos and “Wanted” sketches of the brutes who have assaulting 10 women and raped one since March.

The victim described her attacker as a thin Hispanic man in his mid 20s, weighing about 150 pounds — similar to the men wanted in other harrowing attacks across South Slope, Park Slope, Bay Ridge and Sunset Park.

But because she couldn’t see the man’s face in surveillance tapes, the police took her home.

“You can’t see anything in the videos,” the woman said. “How could I know if it was him if I couldn’t see the face in the video? I’m just angry that they didn’t take me seriously.”

A police source denied that officers dismissed the incident.

“No matter how she described the experience, she wasn’t able to identify the person who bumped into her in the videos and pictures we have,” the spokesman said. “Just because this isn’t part of the pattern doesn’t mean it isn’t being thoroughly investigated.”

The latest criticism of the police effort against the fiend or fiends come as many locals complain of a pattern of failure by the NYPD.

Worse, Safe Slope, a neighborhood watch group that formed in August in response to the attacks, penned an open letter to the Police Department on Sept. 28 that alleged that the cops are making women uncomfortable and requested that they undergo sensitivity training.

The group claims that cops have been following women down the street, admonishing them for wearing skirts and therefore making themselves “targets.”

Whatever the truth, residents have been upset from the beginning of the sex fiend’s spree:

• Neighbors tried to give police a surveillance video of the sex fiend’s first attack on March 20 near 16th Street and Fifth Avenue. Locals say that police ignored them until they gave the shocking footage to the media.

• A Kensington woman said that officers at Crime Stoppers hung up on her when she called on Sept. 6 with a tip about a man who flashed her on the subway and looked like the South Slope rapist.

• A Park Slope woman who was attacked on Sept. 8 on 12th Street near Eighth Avenue said that police never showed up after her neighbors called for help.

• A South Slope resident claimed that police laughed at her when she tried to give them information on two white men who beat up a Hispanic man on Sixth Avenue and 18th Street on Sept. 28.

“I tried to mention that I was hoping this wasn’t related to all the stepping up to find the so-called ‘Hispanic rapist,’” said the woman, Tracy Rudzitis. “They were laughing at me.”

• Finally, locals were irate last week after police released a key detail — a description of the colorful varsity jacket the suspect was wearing during the first attack — almost nine months after the attack.

Since late August, fear of attack has prompted residents to hold rallies in the streets, organize self-defense classes, and even provide women with a buddy system when they walk home.

Police originally sought only one South Slope sicko following the first incident on March 20. The suspect — described as 5-foot-7 and 165 pounds — attacked a 24-year-old woman at 11:30 pm.

Following a series of attempted rapes over the summer, detectives released a second sketch of the same suspect — and a recently issued a third sketch relating to a Sept. 4 incident, when a sicko tried raping a woman near 49th Street in Sunset Park at 3:40 am.

All three sketches hang in many area storefronts — scary images that residents say reveals little but police ineffectiveness.

“My greatest hope is that the criticism of the Police Department leads to a positive response,” said South Slope resident Sarah Elspeth. “I should be able to get accurate and up-to-date information from them. As far as I can see, that’s not happening.”

Anyone with information on the South Slope rapists is asked to call Brooklyn Special Victims Squad at (718) 230-4415, not Crime Stoppers.

Jessica from Park Slope says:
I can't get past the first paragraph of this article in which the author refers to a rapist and/or assaulter as a "sex fiend." That sounds like some sensationalistic, totally inaccurate —— the Daily News would come up with.

Rape has nothing to do with sex, it has to do with power. Labeling this person/people as "sex fiend" delegitimizes and diminishing the actual violence being perpetuated.
Oct. 5, 2011, 11:43 am
liam from kensington says:
I'm wondering if the perp wasn't recently released - my wife saw someone fitting the description at the Ft. Hamilton station masturbating maybe 2-3 years ago and I watched (presumably) the same perp grope a woman on Ocean Parkway shortly after. I called the cops and that was the last we heard or saw. Maybe he was caught and served time and is back on the streets?
Oct. 5, 2011, 12:51 pm
prillis from jessica says:
jessica, you're an idiot. rape does have to do with sex (and also power and violence and other things), and labelling this *ss as a 'sex fiend' does not diminish the violence of the act. in fact, the article goes into great detail about how these acts have been violent.
Oct. 5, 2011, 1:01 pm
Bay Ridger from Bay Ridge says:
If one of the cop's wives or girlfriends were groped, you'd see how quickly they'd find their man. Typical case of NYPD's double standard of law enforcement.
Oct. 5, 2011, 1:27 pm
Josef from downtown bklyn says:
I know that Jessica's assertion regarding the motivating factors of rape is a common one these days, but I am not entirely convinced. There are many ways to exercise power that would not involve sex. I definitely did not perceive the BP's use of the phrase "sex fiend"as "delegitimizes and diminishing the actual violence being perpetuated [sic]."

On the other hand, I don't think the attack Prillis launches is warranted. a difference of opinion is not cause for gratuitous name-calling.
Oct. 5, 2011, 1:55 pm
Hector from Prospect Heights says:
It's all about keeping the crime stats low. The higher the crime stats are in a precinct the lower the property values.

Check out these links:

Stats, stats, stats. Nothing but keeping them low which is why the NYPD responds the way they do.
Oct. 5, 2011, 2:57 pm
Catherine from Windsor terrace says:
EXACTLY WHAT I HEARD! The very next day! from neighbors and folks who KNOW...
Why did no one listen to us!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!
Oct. 5, 2011, 3:59 pm
Demmie from Windsor Terrace says:
I agree. "Sex fiend" does diminish the violence of the act
I've seen similar language in this paper. Aside from being sensationalist and Post-esque, it makes this guy sound like some lonely horndog who can't meet women. No. Rape is alwyas and primarily an act of violence.

Signed,
Rape survivor
Oct. 7, 2011, 8:33 am
Tara from Park Slope says:
I swear I think this guy is a cop. Explains why he's been able to evade arrest, and why he's so brazen. He knows there will be no consequences.
Oct. 7, 2011, 2:42 pm
Fiona from Kensington says:
Instead of sitting here bickering with each other and name calling why don't you all get off your butts and go do something. Losers.
Oct. 8, 2011, 2:34 pm
Chris from Kensington says:
Parking my car on East 2nd Street, a little after midnight a few months back and a guy comes up to me and starts banging on the window. Parking the way it is around here, I sat in the car while he berated me instead of driving away. When I picked my cell and dialed 911 and said what was happening, the guy picked up a garbage can and threw it at the window and took off. I waited 30 minutes and no officers showed up. I called my sister and she had her husband come out to meet me with the dog in case the guy was still around Church Avenue.

Not the same as the attacks in the article, but seemingly the lack of response when a woman calls 911.
Oct. 8, 2011, 4:26 pm
Uri N. Truuble from Church Ave says:
Good idea Fiona! I'll put on a mini skirt and heels
and walk back and forth from the F train drunk at 3:00 A.M. in the morning!!
Oct. 10, 2011, 3:44 am
Catherine from Windsor Terrace says:
Another attack last night on East 5th Street!
around the corner from me! what's going on here?
Oct. 10, 2011, 11:53 am
castrate rapists from windsor terrace says:
My wife was mugged in June by a piece of garbage (also a tiny Mexican "man") outside of our bedroom window and I was impressed with the police response. This coward happened to be caught the following night, albeit accidentally (i.e. right place right time), while attempting to mug another victim. Since then and all these attacks later, I am disappointed with what is being called "increased police presence", "police canvasing", and "increased cruiser and foot patrols". My friends, my neighbors, my wife and myself are definitely not seeing it and I imagine these predators can see it as well.
Oct. 10, 2011, 8:04 pm